1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photoshop to Affinity Photo Transition

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by banj911, Jul 22, 2016.

1. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
    I've had Affinity Photo for a while now, from when it was in beta and I purchased the full version when it became available.
    Is it just me or does anybody else find that Affinity Photo is not very intuitive, especially coming from a Photoshop background?
    I find that I am really struggling to achieve comparable results, especially in the sharpening and noise reduction areas.
    My editing style is quite simply cropping and the regular global adjustments finishing off with sharpening, minor noise reduction if required and resizing (not necessarily in that order).
    Can anyone convince me it is worth persevering or should I just stick to what I know.
    I have also noticed that some photoshop plugins will work, while others don't (within the same suite, Topaz for example), is this likely to be fixed?

2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Unless you're extremely upset by Adobes pricing policy and don't own an actual copy of Photoshop, I don't see a reason to move to anything else if the results are not better.

3. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    I like Affinity Photo a lot. As far as it not being intuitive, I think the proper way to phrase that is "its not exactly like Photoshop". Photoshop to me is NOT intuitive. However, if you use it a lot you eventually learn how it works and become used to it. Affinity Photo is not trying to be a PS clone, which is probably a good thing. But this does mean you'll have to learn a new tool and a new way of doing things.
    I use Affinity Photo because I don't use PS often enough to justify a subscription fee. Plus I just don't like the idea of a software subscription fee either. So I'm learning Affinity Photo, using their online video tutorials, etc.
    If you use a tool like Photoshop a lot, know it well, and get results you need, the CC monthly fee is probably justifiable. For my needs however it was not.

4. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Agreed. Intuitiveness is very often related to similarity to what you already know. A new tool is a new tool and will usually have a learning curve as you figure out the design philosophy. Once learned, and assuming the product has a consistent design, it begins to feel more "intuitive". (*) Though I've not used Photoshop since CS5, I definitely remember it (and prior versions) having a steep learning curve and "intuitive" was not an adjective I'd have used for the interface in context of a new user just starting out.

I will admit that part of my reason for buying Affinity Photo was also simply to support/encourage a company that's offering a competing product. A bit of competition is good for consumers.

(*) Just my opinion, others with more knowledge of UI/UX stuff may well disagree. :)

5. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
    Thanks for your comments people. I agree with the sentiment of intuitiveness being substituted for familiarity, I should have chosen my words more carefully. I will spend the time to watch more tutorials I think and hope that the photoshop plugins will work on a more consistent basis.
    I too have resisted the move to a subscription photoshop model and continue to use my CS6 version. I guess I just have to suck it up and learn the new tool!
    Cheers

6. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    I've found the Affinity support forums to be very useful in answer questions by the way. In addition to their extensive video training on their site. I usually get answers within 24 hours from someone, either a user or a developer.

Affinity | Forum

7. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Serif always did have good user to user support forums. ADCSee and Corel also have good forums like that. I was never too impressed with the Adobe and Microsoft user forums. I wonder what it is that makes some software publishers have great user to user forums and others not so much?

8. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Lynda.com has a bunch of training videos on Affinity Photo and other Serif products. Check to see if your library provides free access to Lynda.com. Mine does, so I'm going to take advantage of it to learn Affinity Designer (Serif's answer to Illustrator).

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Thank you for mentioning that; I would never have thought to check. Indeed my county public library does offer access. Sweet!

10. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Out of curiosity, are most of you guys who are moving away from Adobe also dropping Lightroom? If so, what are you using as it's replacement? I probably do about 80% of my edits in LR, 15% in LR Plug-ins (mainly NIK), and probably only 5% in Photoshop. Honestly though, I'm very unfamiliar with Photoshop, and only started using it when I switched over to the CC program.

11. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Right now I don't have anything I'd move to from Lightroom, but I would move away if I found a substantially better combination of features, price, interoperability with my other apps, as well as an expected longevity. I don't know anything that fits that bill on macOS.
    I've been a LR user since version 1.0, which I got free due to Adobe's buyout of Pixmantec's RawShooter. I left LR for Aperture in 2011 as I went over to Macs. Came back to Lightroom when Aperture's EOL was announced in July 2014 (*) with a boxed LR5 upgrade. Was happy enough with that until buying a camera LR5 didn't support, so I bought LR6 upgrade in Oct 2015.

If a Lightroom7 is released as a standalone product I will evaluate its features, but I don't forsee a driving need to upgrade unless I should buy a new camera that LR6 doesn't support. So it may be a race to see when the rumored EM1 mark II hits the streets vs. when (if) Adobe released LR7. I wouldn't expect LR6 to see new camera support once any LR7 is released.

I look forward to seeing what Serif comes up with as a DAM. Their Affinity Photo product is a stellar deal in terms of functionality for the price. However, any DAM will be quite a while according to their statement here: About Affinity

(*) Yes, I know I could be still using Aperture, but the First Rule of Holes is that when you find yourself in one, STOP DIGGING. I saw no reason to continue adding to my Aperture library once it was declared EOL.

12. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    I tried LR, hated it. Started using Aperture in version 2. Bought version 3. Still use it for some stuff. It was massively better than LR as a digital asset manager, and nearly as good as an editor. Pissed Apple dropped it.

Still use Aperture 3.0 for some stuff but have migrated all family-related photography to Photos. Its reasonable for that type of stuff, but completely unsuitable for serious and/or professional work. For example, it has no batch processing ability at all (even batch paste of adjustments, keywords, etc.).

One thing I haven't figured out yet, though, is how to manage the .afphoto files that Affinity likes to create. Does not appear the Photos nor Aperture want to deal with those files, so I have to manage my master edits myself. :(

13. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I understand completely, I've been on board with LR since v2, moved to Aperture 3, then back again to Lightroom around v4? I only upgraded to CC because LR5 didn't support the GX8. I'd like to give some other DAMs a shot, but also don't want to have to re catalogue the 25k random photos I've already done in LR...

14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta

And then what us replacing the combo of LR Mobile , Fix, Mix, Capture.....etc. Doing CC Photography Plan is far more than just Lr and Ps on the desktop.

15. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Speaking for myself, I've never used LR mobile as it's not included with LR standalone; or it never was anytime I glanced at it. Maybe that's changed or something. I don't really see myself using my ipad retina mini in lieu of my retina Macbook though.

How has LR Mobile enhanced your workflow and why do you feel that is the best solution to your needs? I'm not challenging you, my intent is solely to understand its value to you to see if it might have any value to me.

16. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Not that I've fully played around with it yet, but now that LR Mobile can do RAW editing and import, it's much more appealing of an option for short trips when I don't want to take a laptop with me.

17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    EXACTLY!!!! When the wife and head to Lake Clark AK later this month to shoot wildlife we will not be carrying our rMBPs. We will take our 12" iPad Pros. Using those with LR mobile and the SD card reader (that can do USB 3 transfers) will review our images and see if there obvious culls and any we want to immediately edit and share. We will use Lr mobile for the basic edits. But all our keepers will come home on the SD cards for serious downloading, culling, and editing using our rMBPs. We will replace our rMBPs with iMacs when the Kaby Lake based units arrive with TB3, USC-C ports...etc.

For us the latest Lr mobile release plus the added raw support in IOS 10 plus having new iPads and iPhones saving in raw gives us lots or enough creative control in the field without the size and weight of a laptop. Naturally this will not work for everyone. We will for sure if it works for us by the end of the year after Alaska, the Outter Banks, SMNP, and a few other stops.

18. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Ah, understandable. As I have a 12" retina Macbook for my mobile solution, I hadn't felt any need to explore using my retina iPad mini. If the alternative is a substantially larger/heavier laptop I can see the appeal of field use LR of on an iPad.

19. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I use Darktable, Photoshop, Gimp, and Nik Collection. I tried lightroom but didn't like it. Also tried Affinity and wasn't convinced. The more I use other tools the more I am amazed at that volunteer developers can do with Darktable in Open Source.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2016
    I don't want to carry around a laptop, I have a 27 iMac at home and if I want to do simple edits like exposure, shadows, cropping and email them or send them to the cloud for sharing, I can do all of that on an iPad or iPhone.