Photoshop Tips/Tutorials

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by robbie36, Jul 29, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I have made a vague resolution to improve my photoshop skills.

I am not really looking for massively complicated ideas to create obscure effects but more useful, semi-advanced tips and ideas to work in Photoshop quicker and easier.

The problem if you search around the the video tutorials on the internet is that it is very much pot luck - you have to search half a dozen to get one decent one.

So I thought I would post a couple I like and see if anyone else joins in.

Ok here is one that I like about 'dodging and burning' - something that I suspect a lot of us do.

Dodge & Burning – Manipulation Secrets | PSD Box

There are a number of problems with dodging and burning...
    1. it is destructive
    2. you make a lot of strokes quite quickly so that your history is used up fast

So here is a neat way of doing it
    1. Make a new layer and fill with 50% grey
    2. Set the blend mode to 'multiply' - the grey layer has no impact on your image
    3. Now dodge and burn away on the grey layer

What is especially neat about this method is that 1. you can increase the intensity of your effect by duplicating the grey layer or 2. you can reduce its intensity through opacity.

Just about all photos can benefit with a bit of dodge and burn....
    Here is a quick before...

and after....
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Great thread idea, Rob! I'd like to learn more about PS too. :smile:
  3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Hmmm it seems that people are not keen to join in.

Anyway I will try one more.

This isnt a youtube video and there are no links but it is one of my favorite tricks/tips in Photoshop. I learnt it from Savvy who mentioned it in it thread.

If you look at the 'crop' from this photo, you can see it has a problem. There is a white sharpening halo between the building and the sky - usually the result of oversharpening/too much structure.

How do you get rid of it quickly and easily with PS?

1) Take the clone tool
    2) Set the blend to 'darken' and opacity to 80%
    3) Make a selection from the sky to clone from
    4) Run it along the edge of the building

...As the building is 'darker' than the 'sky' the cloning will not affect the building....

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Ive found that people don't share their PS skills as most often their skills is what make them valuable.

That being said it has always bugged me, and I'd love to share anything I know if it helps someone create the photo/art they have envisioned. I don't use PS much for processing as most everything is done in LR for me and then imported into PS when I want to get loco.

Maybe this can also be a how to thread?

If I dont know how to do something I'd love to hear from someone who does.
  5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Rob -This is quite fortuitous I use many PS features and do reasonably well, until a setting becomes inadvertently changed and I don't have the knowledge how to restore to a function I know and love. I use the perspective crop tool frequently with the setting that leaves the image size identical to what I started with. This week a setting changed and the cropped image size expands many times it's width as the height compresses.

Anyone know how to restore the function to retain the starting image size?

A favorite application I developed intuitively deals with images having inadequate negative space to be a successful, either caused by camera cropped (pilot error) or loss of background from rotating and cropping an image.

step 1 original image
    <a href="" title="step 1 original image by FotoCrit, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="step 1 original image"></a>

step 2: Copy the edge of an image, in this case the top, and paste it into a new document.
    <a href="" title="step 2 by FotoCrit, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="101" alt="step 2"></a>

step 3: make a mirror image under rotation, flipping the canvas on axis . Horizontal canvas flip vertically. Vertical canvas flip horizontally.
    <a href="" title="step 3 by FotoCrit, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="101" alt="step 3"></a>

step 4: In this case, find the image height of step 3. With original image go to canvas size and add step 3's height to the existing height.
    <a href="" title="step 4 by FotoCrit, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="701" alt="step 4"></a>

step 5: Copy and paste step 3 image in void. At bottom of "Layer" pull down menu, Flatten Image.
    <a href="" title="step 5 by FotoCrit, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="701" alt="step 5"></a>

step 6: Rotate to make edge of "yield" sign vertical.
    <a href="" title="step 6 by FotoCrit, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="710" alt="step 6"></a>

step 7: Crop to final dimensions.
    <a href="" title="step 7 by FotoCrit, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="678" alt="step 7"></a>
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Dont know the answer to your question but that is a neat trick.

It actually reminds me of another trick in photoshop.

Let's take this photo....

And say I want to create more negative space to the left of the tree stump.

1. Select the right half of the image with the rectangular select tool.
    2. Select edit - free tansform and then squeeze the image from the right
    3. Select the left half of the image
    4. Select edit - free transform and the extend the image from the left
    5. Slect the entire image
    6. Edit - free transform and squeeze the image from the top
    7. Crop to taste.

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Ok here is one I learnt yesterday. I suspect a lot of people know this one. I didnt.

The history tab 'by default' only goes back 20 states. Often this isnt nearly enough. It can be changed in 'preferences' and in fact you can set the history to go back as far as 1,000 states.
  8. irelandOM1

irelandOM1 New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2013
    Ahh, thank you very much! I've tried and tried to figure out how to extend that stupid history window but have long since given up and just lived with it. I knew it had to be possible and it would be some very easy fix but I just couldn't figure it out. The world has just become a better place once again.
    Thanks again. :2thumbs:
  9. catmurphy

catmurphy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    These tips are very useful. Wish I had some of my own to add.
  10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I'm a Lightroom junkie but would like to learn more about PS...there have been times when LR just couldn't do what I want. It's definitely a tool I will have to look further into.
  11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Ok forever offering photoshop tips on the basis that someone else will join in.

Now if you use phtoshop it isnt exactly the most ergonomic program. 'Undo' for instance is Ctrl+Z (not easy with one hand) repeated undo is Ctrl+ Alt+Z (even more difficult).

A lot of people worship Wacom tablets - I did tried one but I didnt get on with it.

But Photoshop works really well with a gaming mouse. I have one with 13 programmable keys which maybe overkill.

But what a gaming mouse does...
    1. Scroll wheel for zoom in and out (with different settings)
    2. Change DPI to control mouse when selecting
    3. Loads of macros. Repeat delete is a single key press. I also have keys for duplicate layer, merge layer, select all, deselect etc..