Photoshop Question

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by coastlineamps, Jun 11, 2013.

1. coastlineamps

coastlineamps Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    Here is a real dumb question that I cannot clearly search for on internet......I have an image that is like a family portrait and I want to smooth only certain parts of the skin tones without altering the whole image. Is there an easy way todo this or someone has a tutorial of how this can be done.

I tried the lasso tool in a layer but that did not work too well.....
  2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Try painting in the mask with a brush, then go to the mask options possibly bump up the feathering of the mask, or painting at different opacities. Matt Kloskowski <sp?> has a great book on using layers, it's called Layers. I think it's called layers anyway. Great beginner level book on the subject of layers for selective editing. Hopefully it's been updated with some of the newer featues. But none the less, great begining to layers and masking.
  3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    What version of PS do you have? You can always zoom in and use the healing brush to smooth out the parts you want.
  4. mdruziak

mdruziak New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2013
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Two words: Patch tool.

It's been in Photoshop since CS, so I'm sure you have it.
  6. coastlineamps

coastlineamps Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    Good tips. I will look into the patch tool and such. The version I have is CS5. I also just downloaded Portraiture plugin last night and it did a descent job on skin tone.