1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photoshop Photography Program $9.99 a month.

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Tecpatl4, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The same offer they had for Christmas. However they will not tell you what the price will be next year! It could be $9.99 again or jump up to the standard price of $19.99. Plus after you figure in the interest you pay on the credit card it comes out to more like $10.50 a month. If you can't tell I am pissed at Adobe. If this is the best for you then by all means go for it BUT there are other programs out there that you can own, not rent by the month.

• Like Like x 1
  3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    This rent-a-software is a great solution for pros, easy to write it off, especially if you are constantly upgrading. I like to own my software and not have to worry if the company goes tits up or decides not to support that model any more.

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

The Odds of Adobe going "tits up" in the near future are slim to none.

5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I don't think anyone has a crystal ball. Software companies come and go. More likely they will decide $9.99 isn't enough, they'll want more. I get it though, lots of people love to rent or get loans on everything they have. Other people like to pay once and be done.

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    They keep beating the dead horse with that $9.99 sale price. I bought my last copy (unless they do away with the subscription)- CS6 suite, which I'll use until I no longer have a PC that can run it.

Though to be slightly (but not really) balanced; it's kind of along the same lines of thinking- "if you can raise the price of your product by 100% and keep >50% of your customers- why not?"

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    There was a thread 2 or 3 weeks ago about how much people used Photoshop and Lightroom in their post processing. What struck me was the number of posters - at least 50% - who said they basically used Lightroom for 90% of their PP but occasionally took photos in Photoshop for touching up and finishing. Now Photoshop has always been a pricey product but it seems many people were happy to buy it, not really get to grips with it and then barely use it. It doesnt really surprise me that those people faced with the prospect of a monthly subscription found it pretty difficult to justify given the amount of use it gets (especially as their use certainly doesnt warrant needing to keep it up to date.) They would be better off with Elements, it offers 90%+ of the functionality at 10% of the cost.

But overall, if you use Photoshop extensively or simply want to try it out for a few months the current offer (including Lightroom) seems pretty great. Of course the price will rise but even at US$20 a month it seems pretty reasonable. US$20 a month - US$240 a year - is roughly the cost of keeping the old versions of PS and LR up to date at the old prices.

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    $120 a year for Photoshop AND Lightroom is a steal. The cheapest that Lightroom goes for is $70-$90. The cheapest that Photoshop CS goes for isn't even worth mentioning, as I don't want to give other posters here a heart attack. My copy of Lightroom worked with my G2, but not the G5. Instead of having to rebuy to keep up with my camera advancement, I get to pay $10 a month and have the most capable image editing platform out there. You are always free to buy Lightroom, and then get Adobe PS Elements if you don't need the advanced capabilities. They've made it exponentially cheaper to own Photoshop, and I'm all for it.

Photoshop will always support CS. It is the backbone of the graphics arts industry, photography industry, etc. Be real here. Both Microsoft and Adobe have switched to subscription models, and I'm high-fiving them all the way to the bank. More money for lenses!

Except they aren't raising the price. They are drastically lowering the price. All that this is doing is forcing torrenters to be legitimate customers, instead of software pirates. Just in case you weren't aware, here is the cost for Photoshop:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/944427-REG/adobe_65158236_photoshop_cs6_for_mac.html
    And the basic version, Elements, goes for as cheap as $60, or comes free with certain models of cameras, scanners, etc.

The thing is that 90% of these people that casually/occasionally using Photoshop largely aren't customers. Photoshop has got to be some of the most commonly pirated software, if not THE most. $240 a year is less than skipping a generation of CS/LR, and it also comes with some other stuff too that I haven't really delved into. These subscription models are done for the same reason that video games have moved towards free-to-play models: software theft.

9. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    PS CS is BS. :tsk:

• Like Like x 1
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Depends on how you look at it!

First off it costs more than $9.99month/$120year as you have to use a credit card and they charge interest, so maybe $130 a year. Second is how long you keep a version of PS. I always waited for as long as possible before updating, usually 5 years. So 5 years times $130 comes out to $650. The last pricing for PS in the box was $700, not such a steal after all. There were legal ways of getting it cheaper, education discount being the best one{$400} but that is gone now. Plus after 5 years with a box you still have it to continue to use or sell to someone else. Granted you get updates automatically with CC. Lightroom is included but if you already own LR that is not much of a bonus. They should give customers the option that works BEST for them!

Photoshop Elements is a very good program but if you are used to using the full PS you will hate it! There are so many things missing and things that are the same are in different places and sometimes called by different names, plus many keyboard shortcuts don't work with Elements and some are different. Things you could quickly and easily do before become extremely frustrating. Heaven forbid if you upgrade from one version to the next as they change them so much sometimes. Not little changes but completely redesigned interfaces{they have done it twice that I know of and maybe more as I have only used 4 or 5 versions}. I highly recommend Elements to people who have NEVER used PS but as I said if you know the full PS you will HATE Elements.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I use photoshop extensively and always have. For raw files, I develop the "negative" in Lightroom or Capture One, but do all the work on the final image in Photoshop. Out of LR all I want is a file with full information, which means I recapture highlights and shadows as necessary, and don't much worry about how the image looks. I only want the information that I can then work with in Photoshop. It works for me, and $10 a month for PS and Lightroom with upgrades as they become available works well for me. If it becomes too expensive, I'll reinstall CS2, which has most of what I need.

12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Your point about PS CS being cheaper if you only upgrade every 5 years (or if you dont upgrade at all) is a good one. But all you are really saying is that the new pricing structure, which is more attractive to 'professionals' or Photoshop enthusiasts who like to keep their product up to date with the latest innovations and is less attractive to the casual user who is not particularly bothered. Now as Photoshop is supposed to be a 'professional' product it doesnt make much sense aiming at casual users. In that sense their old pricing strategy - whereby the cost of keeping up to date was extremely high, was illogical. Adobe's other course of action would be to not offer discounts to upgraders who skipped an edition but that would have pissed you off just as much.

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So in your example, you have to pay a whopping extra $10 per year, with the caveat that you aren't 2-3 versions behind. In your extreme example, the costs are 1 fast food meal a year difference, not enough to even bat an eyelash, especially considering that you gain something very valuable for your money. You forgot to add that in that $130 a year (which, by the way, you conveniently forgot to charge tax for the full version of CS), you also get Lightroom, some cloud storage, and some other feature that I haven't worried about messing with yet. Even if you never edit in Lightroom, its tagging, importing, and organization features alone are worth the $10 a year that it costs you.

Also, Elements isn't as crippled as you make it out to be. It's incredibly powerful for $100. Camera RAW has fewer features, and you lose Pantone/CMYK, Warp, and a few other features, but you still have layers, curves, masking, i.e. most everything you'd want for a good image manipulation tool. It's certainly no worse off than have a 2-3 version older CS ;)

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    shnitz, if you read the fine print on Adobe's offer they're only guaranteeing that $10 price for 12 months. After that it rises to the "then standard price." Which today is a lot more than $10.

As far as interest, that's not Adobe's problem nor is it their revenue. Some people pay their cards off each month.

15. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    As a PS CC supporter. It's great, the Adobe update and download client needs work, roll outs of bug fixes and features have been good, and fairly regular in the last 6 months albeit pretty sparse the first few months after initial release of PS CC. Bug fixes are constant, but I have the full suite, and they seem to be rolling them out on a smoother schedule now so I don't have to update daily on the programs I use. Frankly I don't even notice I'm paying them and that's great compared to the punch in the face that was the retail product.

imo, having the payments spread out across the life of the product is far superior compared to an upfront cost. The notion of ownsership of product like PS is dumb, as it required constant updating anyway, and buying the disc only gained you access to 18 months or so of access to those updates, and then after that increasingly sparse bug fixes. The code on the disc is so different then what we had by the end of a CS cycle, often times within the first weeks if it came in a hot mess like CS6 or LR4 and 5,let alone the development tools. I wonder ho many people were even buying physical copies and how that was trending from CS4-6. I never even saw a box for CS6, and LR3 was the last box I saw from that program.

16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

It is, really; so students and teachers can't buy discounted education versions of PS or LR anymore? What was the last version?

17. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    I know how you feel. My hard drive failed and my backup didn't have my CS3 on it for some unknown reason. I contacted Adobe and they told me my CS3 was Pirated. They sent me updates, offer, you name it for 2 1/2 years. I bought LR2 and they treated me like crap. The only way I would have a Photoshop product again is if it is PIRATED I will work with anything but.:rant: And tell the world.

18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The deal is clearly lousy for people who dont want to subscribe to software. As you say, we dont know what will happen with the price. But there are a couple of things we can say.

The current US$9.99 deal - which doesnt require prior ownership of CS3 or newer - is a 'special' offer. The 'standard' price for subscription without prior 'ownership' is US$19.99. The 'current special offer' enrols you in the plan 'Photoshop Photography Program (For CS3+ customers)'. I know that for certain because I have CC with prior ownership, my GF has a subscription plan without prior ownership and we both have the same plan - 'Photoshop Photography Program (For CS3+ customers)'. Now I would say that it is pretty certain that the price 'without current ownership of CS3+' will return to its 'standard' price of US$19.99 at some point - theoretically this special offer is open only until the end of March. In the longer term - perhaps 2 years from now - they will almost certainly remove the 'discounted price for previous ownership'.

As for how much the current US$9.99 price will increase after the first year, there isnt much to say. But it actually may not increase that much at all.

This is what Adobe.com says....
    'To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is 'the' price'
    http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/introducing-the-photoshop-photography-program/

And here is what Scott Kelby has to say....
    'So, how long does that price hold?
    Forever! (OK, Adobe didn’t use the word “Forever” because there’s no way their lawyers would ever let them do that, so this is just me talking, but my understanding is they will hold that $9.99 rate for anyone who gets in on the program before that cutoff date, as long as they stay as subscribers. If they drop off at some point, and they want to come back into the program, they’ll have to come back at the regular price of $19.99. Again, that’s not Adobe talking, that’s just my understanding, but that is my understanding. That being said, I can’t image that in the year 2525, if man is still alive, that it won’t shoot up to $11.00 or $12.00 a month, but I believe they plan on holding it there for the foreseeable future).'

Now Scott Kelby isnt actually an employee of Adobe (although he might as well be) but it is reasonably unlikely that they would lead him to an 'understanding' on of one kind and Adobe do something 'redically' different - well unless you think Adobe are liars and Scott Kelby a fraud in which case you wouldnt have read this far.

And at the current price of US$9.99 is a very good deal. Assuming you keep Lightroom up to day that costs you US$80 every 18 months (and if you dont you probably arent going to be a PS subscriber) and that is
    US$5 a month - so another US$5 a month for a product that costs US$10 a month to keep up to date (and without the upfront cost) must be a bargain.

But why do care if anyone signs up to this deal or not? Well I dont a lot. But, as I see it, say 8 months down the line, you decide that you want to sign up to PS (perhaps after your subscription anger has dissipated) and you find that the price has returned to the 'standard' US$19.99, I think there will be people who will regret 'not signing' when the current deal was on offer. I actually think that is more likely than people signing on now and then regret signing on because Adobe aggressively raises the price to US$25 a month within 2 years.

19. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    Reviving an old thread here, the $9.99/mo price is still going. ..

There are certainly pros and cons and I understand the two camps of "buying" software and "renting" it. I think it is just a fact of life that more and more things are going to subscription format. Lowers costs and overhead, maximizes profit and reduces piracy. I have said for years that Adobe would make more money and cut piracy if they just had a single version of PS, cut the price to about $175 and sit back and watch everyone buy it.

Alas, I am not the boss of them. While I certainly don't *need* the full blown Photoshop program, it is what I am used to and try as I might I just can't be happy with elements or Aperture. I have been paying $19.99/mo for CC Photoshop standalone. Not happy with the price but it would have taken me 3-4 years to be "ahead" by buying the $700 stand alone CS6. I don't make any money on my photography, just a hobby but I am one who frequently update sand ttys to stay with current versions, etc. so I bit the bullet and swallowed.

I saw a post somewhere about the getting PS and LR both for $9.99/mo and was able to convert my "membership" to that with a 1 year commitment, still paid monthly. Not sure how much I will use LR, but I just cut my price in half for the next year so I consider it a good deal. If, as many suspect, the deal remains after the year then I will be happy. If it goes back to $19.99/mo, than at least I will have saved $120 for the year. I save money elsewhere (don't drink, smoke, latte, or club) so I don't mind spending what in reality is not a crippling amount for the CC model.

I keep telling myself I need to get better at organizing my photo's and have thousands hap-hazardly organized in various folder structures, maybe LR will finally let me get a better handle on things.

20. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    FYI

Looks like they made the Photoshop plus Ligthroom for $9.99/mo permanent.