1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photoshop Lightroom vs Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ksn, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I've seen Lightroom brought up many times but I haven't really looked into it until today. Adobe lists it as "Photoshop Lightroom", is this program a plug-in to Photoshop, a different software, or like a stripped down version of Photoshop? Can I do everything Lightroom does with Photoshop?

2. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Lightroom is standalone, and used for 'processing' images, not editing them. Adjusting exposure, color balance, that kind of thing.

3. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I see the noise reduction option on the site which looks effective, but other than that, I can alter photo filters, saturation, hue/color balance, and levels in photoshop as well.

4. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Correct. The interface is completely different, however, and it is MUCH cheaper than Photoshop. Lightroom can be had for ~ $80 on Amazon.

There are some videos here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1N5RJTP0S20F8791FWRV in the images part. Check them out to get a better idea.

5. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I see, thanks. Everything looks more intuitive as well. I will have to give it a try :)

6. banana101

banana101 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2011
    London
    Lightroom is a different program than Photoshop. I think it's mainly for tweaking images as opposed to full on manipulating them, so it really depends what you wish to do with your images. Although I quite like the addition of hdr in CS5.

7. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I use to rely solely on Photoshop but stopped using it after installing Lightroom. The only thing I really utilize it for is to clone, layer, delete objects or create graphic art.

Thought this was interesting...

Lightroom Vs. Photoshop - Outdoor Photographer | OutdoorPhotographer.com

• Like Like x 3
  8. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Wow, that seems really good. I do a lot of image editing, so I can't phase out Photoshop, but for photos, nondestructive and full history will be a big plus.

9. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    In addition to the basic "develop" options (saturation, balance, color channels, etc.), there are also some pretty cool publishing tools too that really help to provide a good "finished product" to clients including direct publish to video, PDF and web formats with all sorts of options.

When I need to send a quick portfolio to people, I publish it through lightroom and send a PDF or movie as my digital portfolio.

10. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    That's true, but I managed to become legless in Lightroom quite nicely i think:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    You did that in lightroom?
    Please do tell how?
    Those are excellent results!

12. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    The remaining shadow is a little wonky, but I doubt anyone would notice it unless they were looking hard.

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Note that Elements 9 has incorporated many of these features also.

Think the "lossless" thing is overhyped IMHO. Saving as a PED file will save the history, or simply do a "save as" for your modified version. In either case, realize the file is going to be a lot bigger.

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    if you mean by 'lossless' you mean the non destructive aspect of things you get with LR and Aperture then I have to strongly disagree that its overhyped - its the single feature that transforms the way you handle your files - only one file ever to worry about - multiple versions of the same image without big extra files

K

15. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It's the wonder of 'spot removal' - it's my favourite tool. It's not designed for that, but if you make several overlapping spots then you can do that (I could have done it a bit tidier (tail got bitten in to for one thing), but it was only for a quick look photo). It helps to be surrounded by fairly uniform colour/pattern to copy, and you won't be able to do it in all contexts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    LR3 a good D.A.M. system.

LR3 is really two different things. One most of us know, it is used to work on our images. The other is a DAM (digital asset management) system, or how to keep up with your pictures. It doesn't make a copy that becomes part of LR3 other than creating thumbnails, but keeps track of where your images are on one or more drives. It has many ways of doing this. One that is handy is with key words. You enter key words when you import files to your computer, and later you can call up all photos that have that same key word. Let say you entered the key words red ford truck. You do a search for red ford truck, and every red ford truck on your many hard drives will be found (only if you entered the key words as part of the file).

I bought into LR3 because I had someone want to purchase three photos to use in a publication. I found two right off, but it took me a long search to find that third image. I made a search to find an answer, and found a set of lessons on Luminous Landscape on LR as a DAM system. You down load these over the web, and they also have lessons for LR3 but the one on keeping track of the files was a great help to me. I own both sets of lessons.

One problem I had with the lessons was that it made me need to rename all my folders. I have then in years and months and it took me two weeks working about 8 hours a day 6 days a week to rename everything. But now it doesn't take much time at all to get things to where they need to be.

There are also plug in that work with LR3. One that I really like is Viveza 2 as it has U Point Technology. I really liked U Point when I was using NX2, and was one of the reasons that I didn't use my PS all that much. Then one day I decided that NX2 was just to buggy and tried the 30 day free trial from LR3 and never used NX2 or PS again.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

17. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I played around with the trial a little bit. It's a lot more cpu intensive than photoshop it seems. Just messing around with colors and the saturation options.

DSC_1231.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Elements 9 has the same keyword DAM system and is less than half the price of LR

19. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I don't know about elements, but PSD files don't save history. Each time you save as JPEG, you lose picture quality unless you go lossless (PSD/TIFF). Either way, you end up with multiple files for each photo. If LR works the way it's described, you only have to deal with 1 file with your alterations as well as the original, no quality loss, all history is stored, and file sizes should remain roughly the same.

20. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    elements may have keywords... but the asset management is not in the same class as Lightroom.... and I am an Aperture user :)

elements/photoshop are fundamentally different beasts from the new approach to working with digital photographs represented by LR and aperture.

with LR/Aperture yes you will see a higher processor hit - after all it is decoding your source file and applying the effects in realtime - thats how it does the non destructive aspect of things - your original file is NEVER changed.

there is no need to go and rename your folder structure - as you import your images you can decide where you want to put the files.

k