1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Photoshop help needed

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by PacNWMike, Apr 4, 2015.

1. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I have a rectangular logo on a white background. (see below) I would like to make the white background transparent or make it go away completely so that I can layer the logo on my map without the white background showing. Easy to select the background with the magic wand but then what do I do? I'm using CS2.

[​IMG]

2. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I have experience in CS5, so I'm not sure how backward compatible this will be.

Once you you select the part that you want, CMD+J will create a new layer with that selection. Disable the background layer (original jpg) by clicking that eye symbol next to it. The background should disappear leaving a white and grey checkerboard pattern indicating transparency. Save as a PNG file (or PSD to retain transparency) and use and when you need it.

Hope that helps.

3. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Since you have a white background, simple way is select the background with the magic wand.
    Right click the image and click on "select inverse". This will now select everything other than your background.
    CMD + J for making the selection a new layer and then same steps as Maritan described.

4. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Thanks for the replies. Followed your instructions and saved as a png so now it opens in an editor without the background. So far so good. My problem before was that I saved as a jpg and a gif. However when I import into my map the background still shows up. Can I get rid of it entirely?

edit: using ArcGIS for the map

5. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Saving as a png actually merges the picture and the white background so you would be back to square one.

What you need to do is open both images in CS2. When you perform the steps in my message above, select the inverse and then CMD + J to make a new layer of the selected portion of that image (the crest only), copy that new layer and paste into your map image that is open. You will now have the crest as a new layer in your map image. Hope this makes sense.

6. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    OK thanks for your patience. Here's what I have...not sure how to copy just the part I have selected.
    [​IMG]

7. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Now just select all & copy.

8. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I can copy but I can't paste into ArcGIS. I have to create an image minus the background and import it.

9. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Thanks! They are trying to do exactly what I am doing. I had searched the help database and came up empty.

Right track but this will take some digesting....

edit: Works!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015