Photoshop Elements sale and a question . . .

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by sammykhalifa, Mar 21, 2016.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I gave up on PSE at version 8. I thought it would be a good companion to LR, but it seemed to be the worst of both worlds. It was not intuitive in any sense (IMHO), and for the effort required to master the program (for a person who has not used PS previously), it lacked the features and commands of PS. I am not sure of your needs, budget or skill level with the PS family of products, and I am not sure how well they have improved PSE over the years (like lack of 16-bit support for editing), but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. I ended up picking up a copy of Serif's PagePlus for layout work with text and found it to be much better for those needs. If I was to dip back into the PS world, I probably would pick up a CC subscription and learn PS itself. I am sure there are others with a more current opinion on PSE that can give you more food for thought, but I thought I would at least provide some personal feedback.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I will go the other way and say it is a great companion to Lightroom. It will automatically set itself up in Lightroom as a right click target for "Edit in Photoshop". It covers an impressive amount of retouching tools, has layers and layer masks, plugin support , and the standard photo editing tools. It even has some rudimentary content-aware-fill, shake reduction and

I've used PSE for a few years (Actually since v6, now on 13). I recently ran a 30 day trial of the full PS CC and found it to be a bit more complex than I need for my amateur photography. And most of the core editing tools were near identical. There are definitely some more pro features in CC, but if you don't already know you need them you probably won't! ;)

$50 is a great price for a solid editor and a nice companion for doing those little extras that LR can't do. LR 6 and PSE (with this deal) are $200 and should last you 2-3 years before an upgrade. A $10 a month CC plan for Photoshop CC will run $240-360 in that same time frame.

Another one worth checking out is Corel PSP X8 (or whatever is latest). It is a bit more advanced than PSE but lacks some of the industry standard plugin support and has fewer tutorials and web resources available.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Good to hear another opinion. Did they ever fix the 8-bit limitation in editing?

--Ken

5. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Lightroom 5 doesn't do Panorama stitching. Elements does, as does Lightroom 6.

6. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    The last time I tried PS elements was almost 15 years ago. Back then, it didn't support layer masks, so I had to use the eraser and undo instead. But tketc says it has layer masks now. That sounds good enough for $50 to me.

7. tkbslc

Not really. You can do very basic edits with 16-bit, but no layers or anything.

8. tkbslc

layer masks, adjustment layers, content aware fill, de-haze, shake reduction have all trickled down. The only thing that I miss is a "real" curves tool, but LR has that so I can adjust prior to sending it over to PSE.

9. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure layers and masks are the two things I want--though of course, it's possible that I don't even know what it is I don't know. ;)

I appreciate all of the feedback here. The idea that Elements will be available through LR as any other plugin might tip it. now I'm thinking that $50 is worth me seeing if I even need those things or not, and to learn more without going full photoshop and monthly rental.

10. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    If you get it, buy a good book, in hard copy so you don't have to keep switching out of the program to look stuff up. As previously said, PSE is not intuitive. If you don't use it regularly, you may forget the tricks you learned, and have to look them up again. (This advice comes from a session wrestling with PSE 12 this weekend. Anyone got a recommendation for a good book on PSE 12?)

• Like Like x 1
  11. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I have been thinking of taking a PShop class at the local community college. It's strange, though: "Learning Photoshop" comes with a prerequisite of "prior experience and familiarity with Photoshop." :doh:

12. tkbslc

It will be, but to be fair nearly any editor can be configured to be available on the "Edit with" menu. I have several set up in LR myself. You could even set it up to point to free stuff like GIMP.

The Adobe "Classroom in a book" series is pretty good. I've also enjoyed Scott Kelby's books and he has a "Photoshop Elements for Digital Photographers" book series. I have not used either for recent editions of PSE, though, so that's more of a general recommendation.

For many of the editing tools. layers, etc, any regular Photoshop tutorials going back for a decade or more would still apply. There is an abundance of videos on youtube as well as blogs with free resources. To me that is one of the biggest reasons to go with Adobe products. There are so many resources available.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1