1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Photoshop Elements 11 50% off (Amazon US)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by MAubrey, Nov 12, 2012.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I know it's not CS, but if you're looking at something to go beyond Lightroom (or you don't have Lightroom), Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 is on sale on Amazon right now for $49:

Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop Elements 11: Software

That's not a bad deal at all.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    That's really tempting...I have LightRoom 4 and Elements 9 (and CS3 around here somewhere, not installed). I passed on Elements 10...maybe time to upgrade?

Thanks for the heads up!

Regards,

Jim

3. flippic

flippic Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks! I just ordered it. :smile:

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I got it. I use PSE 10 and was hesitating on the upgrade, but $50 is pretty cheap.

5. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    If I get this, then is Lightroom neccessary?

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well, if you get it and you're satisfied without Lightroom, then, yes. But I don't know what your needs are.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Two different applications with some overlap.

Check out:

Adobe Photoshop family - Comparison guide

LightRoom4 offers non-destructive editing of photos - the edits made to the original files are saved as text in the LR4 database and applied to the photographs when they are opened in LR4. You can do an export, which then saves the changes and a copy of the photograph file, leaving the original photograph untouched.

Reference:

Understanding Adobe Photohop Lightroom’s Nondestructive Image Enhancement System

LR4 has superior cataloging capabilities, and can keep track of files that are stored on removable drives, etc. Adobe refers to it as "Off line photo management" and "location-based photo organization".

LR4 does not offer "layers", a valuable tool for post processing. Elements (the later versions) does support "layers".

You can install LR4 as your primary photo organizer and install Elements as an adjunct photo editor - if there is a feature that you need (such as "layers") LR4 can be set to open Elements as required, allowing you to make the changes and then return to LR4. (Seen the Adobe chart referred to above to see what each application offers).

To me they are complementary applications, although if I had to pick just one I would opt for LR4. The good news is that there has been a substantial discount in the price of LR4 over previous versions, and current Amazon price for Elements is quite attractive.

The downside is, of course, the learning curve; if you use both applications you need to learn both applications and the interface is not identical between them.

*Disclaimer - I have (unfortunately) no financial stake in Adobe or Amazon, and I am by no means an expert on either application. YMMV.

HTH

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lightroom and Photoshop{both CS and Elements} are two different programs. Lightroom is all about making adjustments to the photograph and Photoshop is about editing the details, adding text/graphics or even creating images from scratch.
    If all you need to do is correct the lighting or color or crop your photos then Lightroom is all you need{it also does a good job of organizing if you use those features}. If you want to cut somebody out of one picture and paste them into another or add text or graphics onto your photo than Photoshop is what you want.

From what I have seen the new look of Elements 11 is more like CS. With this price I might just snag a copy and see just how close it is. Of coarse I know there will be something that I use a lot that is missing. I have gotten very spoiled having a copy of CS4 at work.

9. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 1