Photoshop CS5 for $40, Lightroom for $17 restrictions apply.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is simply not true. Look at my earlier quote from an Adobe FAQ to address using it after you graduate. Here's where they address using it for commerical purposes.

" Can I use Student and Teacher Edition products commercially?
Yes, Student and Teacher Edition products can be used commercially."

Education FAQ
Then they have totally changed the way they do business! It did not use to be this way. I know one thing for sure I will never buy the full version again. I will use my sister's kids and get a full education copy as soon as CS6 is out!!!

JudyM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here's an update to my attempt to order: I was able to order CS5 Design Premium online at about 5 PM EST last night, but I could not get through the verification service. After an hour or so of trying, even Adobe's website started giving me problems.

I tried again at 5 AM this morning. Internet Explorer 9 would not load the page for whatever reason, but an old version of Firefox worked. I was able to get the verfication page to load, upload the proof of eligibility and complete the verification process. My order status now shows "Pending".

When I clicked the "Buy" button last night, the site clearly said the offer is good until March 3. If you can't get through, try a different browser and try an off peak time. Make sure you type the coupon code in upper case. The offer appears to be good at educational retailers as well. You might try them.

Roger

Mu-43 Regular
I posted last evening that Adobe wouldn't accept my phone order. I did order online later but the verification stalled. I'll work on that later. Just happy to be making progress. I've been using Paint Shop for years and am anxious to try Photoshop.

kanasgowatom

Mu-43 Regular
Adobe Blowout

With all due respect to the noble teaching profession, I find this policy to be a bit annoying. I know this is program is meant to make Adobe Products more attractively price wise for the education community. I guess maybe, if it was presented with a little consideration toward the rest of us, at least worded in a way that does not have an air of exclusivity about it.

ibcj

Mu-43 Regular
I'm getting "Promotional Code Not Valid", maybe I'm doing something wrong.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I went for the Full Monty! I mean the PS Master Suite.
The site has been busy all day but I just placed my order at 9 pm CST and received my order confirmation right away. Finally it pays off to have a kid in school!
Now here's something I do know for a fact, because I've run into it. If you do want to use the Adobe upgrade process, you can't upgrade from the suite version to a stand alone version (e.g., CS5 Suite to CS PS6 standalone). Adobe will only allow a suite to be upgraded to a suite. And those upgrades cost big bucks.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No. That's not what it says. You are saying that you can't upgrade a S&T version period. That's not correct. You can upgrade a S&T version just like any other version. You can't get an upgrade with educational pricing since there is no educational pricing for upgrades. From the FAQ, "Upgrade pricing is not available through Adobe’s current education programs." So there is no educational discount to upgrade a S&T version, but you can still upgrade it by purchasing a normal upgrade. Again, from the FAQ, "If a student has graduated and is no longer eligible for education discounts, he or she may purchase a standard commercial upgrade of the new version."
Regardless of what the FAQ says, I can tell you that when I tried to upgrade the S&T edition of CS PS 3, Adobe told me "no", that student editions did not qualify for upgrade pricing. This was during the actual purchase attempt, not from canned text on a web site. Maybe they've changed their policy. We'll know for sure, soon, since my son has an S&T edition of LR, and is now no longer a student.

Ccasey

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
I'm getting "Promotional Code Not Valid", maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I got the same thing this morning after loading it successfully yesterday. I called in to place the order, was routed to support in India, and after a bit of back-and-forth was told that the website was just experiencing technical problems, that they were working on it, and to try again in 3-4 hours. The rep did not offer to take my order over the phone.

So my take is the code is still valid and I'll just try again later. No need to stress.

-Chris

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Regardless of what the FAQ says, I can tell you that when I tried to upgrade the S&T edition of CS PS 3, Adobe told me "no", that student editions did not qualify for upgrade pricing. This was during the actual purchase attempt, not from canned text on a web site. Maybe they've changed their policy. We'll know for sure, soon, since my son has an S&T edition of LR, and is now no longer a student.
It's frustrating because I've heard folks claim both. That the upgrade key in fact worked from the student one, and that it didn't. I'm wondering how much of that depends on what software package too.

The wording in the faq says upgrade to commercial.. It does not explicitly say same version or new.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
With all due respect to the noble teaching profession, I find this policy to be a bit annoying. I know this is program is meant to make Adobe Products more attractively price wise for the education community. I guess maybe, if it was presented with a little consideration toward the rest of us, at least worded in a way that does not have an air of exclusivity about it.
They took a page out of the crack dealer's manual. Apple does the same. The goal is to get someone hooked on the brand when they are young and they'll be a loyal customer for life. So they are making it accessible to grade school kids hoping that when they become adults, they'll pay full price for Adobe software. The good PR they get for being perceived as nice by promoting education is just a fringe benefit.

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
It seems to me that the big holdup is actually on the identit-e verification website. Finally this morning I was able to get to the next step. Now they sent me an email to go to another site to upload docs, but the page won't even load.

mzd

Mu-43 Veteran
It seems to me that the big holdup is actually on the identit-e verification website. Finally this morning I was able to get to the next step. Now they sent me an email to go to another site to upload docs, but the page won't even load.
if your email is the same as mine, you can just attach the verification files to a reply, or fax them in. that is quicker than trying to upload to their painfully slow website. good luck!

Ccasey

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
The story changes... I just chatted with a rep... here's the conversation:

Please hold as we route your chat to an Adobe Representative.

Welcome to Adobe.com! My name is Morph. May I assist you with your selection today?

Morph: Hi, How are you doing today?

Chris: I'm trying to use the "SAVE80EDU" code, but I'm getting an error.

Chris: "Promotion code not valid"

Chris: I'm fine - thank you - hope you are well as well.

Morph: We apologize for any inconvenience caused, however, due to a technical error an incorrect messaging of promotion on education store got posted online and we are canceling all the orders made previously using the additional 80 % discounts and started giving refund to the customers.

Morph: You can continue to place the order for education version software which is already discounted up to 80% as compared to regular version software.

Morph: We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard
:frown:

-Chris

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
The story changes... I just chatted with a rep... here's the conversation:

:frown:

-Chris
What that CSR said makes no sense on a variety of levels. One, Adobe is promoting this like crazy through google ads. That 80% off Adobe banner shows up on a bunch of websites. Two, the normal educational prices aren't uniformly 80% off retail. It varies by how well a school negoitiates. Sometimes it's free, sometimes it's only like 5% off. I think if Adobe cancels the orders now, it'll have a PR disaster on it's hands.

Ccasey

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
I agree completely. And the info he gave me doesn't match what I was told earlier this morning on a support call. So I guess it's wait and see?

-Chris

supermaxv

Mu-43 Veteran
They took a page out of the crack dealer's manual. Apple does the same. The goal is to get someone hooked on the brand when they are young and they'll be a loyal customer for life. So they are making it accessible to grade school kids hoping that when they become adults, they'll pay full price for Adobe software. The good PR they get for being perceived as nice by promoting education is just a fringe benefit.
Yep, exactly, they want to lock you in. And it works great. I started with a student edition of CS4 then launched into the full upgrade path from there - (I've never paid full price for a suite), but I make my living heavily using Adobe products. Of course, my employer keeps me up to date with the latest and greatest at my day job, and I can write off my personal copy as a business expense, so my relationship to the price of the software is different than a hobbyist. I know it's allowed, but my philosophy has always been that if I make a dime off of me using a piece of software, I only use the full commercial version of it to do so.

Funny thing about all of this, is that I use Photoshop a lot for work, but I've never actually edited a photo in it before other than some minor cropping in a pinch.

riveredger

Mu-43 Regular
I ordered last night after seeing this thread (thanks OP!). I wasn't able to upload my kid's report card until this morning, though. I did it at 6am EST without a hitch.

pjohngren

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Obviously these are great deals if you qualify and it all works out. However, I would like to make a comment about continue to upgrade at all. I am now about 5 or 6 versions behind, having purchased Photoshop 6 at the full price of over $600 and shortly thereafter upgraded to Photoshop 7 for another $140 or whatever it was. I have not upgraded since that time, though I have dipped into the "Elements" versions and been turned off by the whole interface.

I have continued to use and enjoy Photoshop 7 all these years and find there is really nothing I can't do with it. I have found ways to get whatever I need simply by using the tools already there, or in a few cases getting a plugin like Genuine Fractiles for a specific purpose.

The advantage to not upgrading is that after using a version for a year or two, you develop a work flow, know where everything is, can get whatever you need using the techniques that you have developed, and it is like being with an old trusted and much loved friend. I would therefore suggest not upgrading, but rather learning totally the version you have. Just a thought.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
Obviously these are great deals if you qualify and it all works out. However, I would like to make a comment about continue to upgrade at all. I am now about 5 or 6 versions behind, having purchased Photoshop 6 at the full price of over $600 and shortly thereafter upgraded to Photoshop 7 for another $140 or whatever it was. I have not upgraded since that time, though I have dipped into the "Elements" versions and been turned off by the whole interface.

I have continued to use and enjoy Photoshop 7 all these years and find there is really nothing I can't do with it. I have found ways to get whatever I need simply by using the tools already there, or in a few cases getting a plugin like Genuine Fractiles for a specific purpose.

The advantage to not upgrading is that after using a version for a year or two, you develop a work flow, know where everything is, can get whatever you need using the techniques that you have developed, and it is like being with an old trusted and much loved friend. I would therefore suggest not upgrading, but rather learning totally the version you have. Just a thought.
I agree. I've been on CS2 for years. I've played with CS4 and CS5 and really didn't feel the need to upgrade. For $40 though.....

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
I agree. I've been on CS2 for years. I've played with CS4 and CS5 and really didn't feel the need to upgrade. For $40 though.....
I have CS2 as well ... but on the Mac, and my latest Mac can't run that version. So I figured it was time to upgrade.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom