Photoshop compatible printer?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by JoJo, Jun 30, 2014.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I am on the verge of ordering a Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer today to take advantage of the healthy rebate. I currently have some printers that will not shake hands with Photoshop so I need to make sure that the Canon printer is not inbred. Does the Canon require that you use Canon's software???

I should qualify that I am most interested in printing CDs and DVDs!

2. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I have that printer and it's a great buy with the rebates. I've printed 13x19's from my Mac straight from both Aperture and Lightroom without an issue. Have not unfortunately printed CD's/DVD's so I can't speak to whether Canon proprietary software is needed there.

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Canon printers do not require that you use Canon software to run. You do need whatever driver support that comes with the printer. It is usually a simple install.

Most of the extra software that comes with Canon printers is optional to install - some of it may be fun for the kids though. I had a Canon printer up until about a year ago when it just decided to give up the ghost - had it since 2008.

You'll probably have to configure your software to print CDs. On my Epson, no special software is required to print CDs but getting a CD printed may take a bit of trial and error.

4. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Thanks for the info. I will order the Canon today. One of the printers that I referred to as being inbred is the Epson Artisan. I finally gave up getting it to print anything in color and there is no support at Epson...they stink!

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi JoJo!

I have that printer and think it's terrific. I've printed mostly 13x19" on Canon Luster or Canon Semi Gloss and the results are excellent (if you can overlook the lacking skill of the photographer :biggrin:).

As noted by others the Canon software is optional - but I've been using the Canon Print Studio Pro software as a plugin to Elements 12 and it does a better job (for me, YMMV) of handling the print job than Elements does natively. (It also works with Lightroom and Photoshop).

Once you have the system "dialed in" (the monitor calibrated, test sheets run through the printer, etc.) you can then find the 'sweetspot' for whatever paper you've chosen and save that as a choice in the Canon software. Even with a calibrated monitor I find that my prints are consistently darker than what I show on the screen, so I have the Canon software set (specifically for each paper type) to 'remember' to lighten the print by xxxx number of points (whatever looks best on that paper). Very simple and works well for me (simple things for simple minds? :biggrin:)

I've not yet printed a DVD (but should - I have to burn a disk for some friends and it would be nifty to show off a bit by a custom printed disk)...

Thru B&H I got a $300 gift card (Amex), free shipping, and a free 50 sheet package of Canon 13x19 Semi Gloss :thumbup:. Bottom line cost for me for the printer and paper was $98.

HTH

Regards,

Jim

6. RachelleK

RachelleK Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2014
    MD
    Rachelle
    Hope you ordered the printer yesterday. The $300 rebate expired and I haven't seen a new rebate offer yet. For $34 (with the rebate), I ordered one just for the ink cartridges. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the additional Pro-100 printer itself.

I have no problem printing directly from Photoshop with the Pro-100. With a properly calibrated monitor, they come out great.

R

7. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Yup! It will be here tomorrow. For the 4th, my buds and I are taking one of my Artisan printers to the back 40 to see how it likes 5.56 fodder.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the previous Canon Pixma pro and I only run it through Photoshop. Works great! Never had any problems other than user error. Like with any good printer you have to make sure all the settings are just right.

What printers do you have that won't run from Photoshop? every printer I have ever had, even cheapy ones ran fine from Photoshop.

9. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I have several Epson printers like the 2400 and they all support Photoshop. Before I retired, I had three Artisan 800 all in one printers (one next to each desk). We never got decent prints from them and completely gave up trying to get a nice CD from Photoshop. I talked with their customer no-support and they advised us to use the software provided with the printer!

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So you could print from photoshop it just didn't do a good job. I have had that problem with some lower end printers.

11. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    We could "kinda" print with the Epson all-in-one. The Canon Pro 100 just arrived. I think it works out to $2.50 a pound! I should have ordered several!

12. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    The Canon Pro 100 is a GREAT printer and does everything I ask of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right out of the box it produced beautiful prints. This morning I helped a friend prepare for his show by printing several 11x14s. It the image looks good on your calibrated monitor, the print will look identical.

Epson can kiss my wrinkled old butt.

13. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Go figure! We had a "tossing out" ceremony for one of our big Canon printers that was a lemon from day one. What replaced it? A beautiful Epson!

Enjoy the printer! oh, and show us your prints! :)

14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    PS has its own drivers....it is not using the drivers from the printer maker? Very strange. I have used Adobe LR for years. The LR print module invokes the Canon printer driver for our Canon Pro1 and Pro100 printers.