1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photoshop CC and GPS metadata

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bigboysdad, Dec 1, 2015.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Is anyone able to advise on their workflow on inputting GPS metadata to files within PS? Easily done within LR I know, but these days, I really only use LR for cropping and GPS before editing files in PS. I would like to do these tasks in PS and not have to go to LR. My problem is, I've found that adding the GPS files in PS is not straightforward, ie it's not simply a case of cutting and pasting the data from, say, Google earth. Maybe there's a certain technique I need to know re inputting the data into PS, or maybe there's software that makes this straightforward. If I could cut out LR from my own workflow this would be useful, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    There is software for this which compares the time stamp of the gps device and the camera. I'll have to search for it. I believe that there are freebies...
    There are also dedicated trackers which do this.

edit: here is one

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    I've use exiftool to modify files based on photo metadata.

http://jlog.jgen.ws/photos/editing-gps-with-exiftool/

It is a batch process that compares GPS location data with the time stamp on the photo and rewrites the location data into the file. Photoshop not required.

4. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    This is what I use when I want to geotag images outside LR: HoudahGeo (Mac only)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Do you run it from the command line or use the GUI?