Photoshop 2021 is out.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I just remove all the stupid Live Tile things and turn off all the "features". My Windows 10 Start Menu is just a standard list of Programs (like every other version of Windows prior to Windows 8).

View attachment 854407
Angus, I found out yesterday that Centrelink is using hardware from the early 1980s, probably programmed in something dead, like COBOL ...

No wonder they have the massive problems they have.

I've just won a long running matter against them in the AAT. Their documentation for the case exemplified everything that's wrong with their hardware and software.

In that kind of environment, there is a good deal of merit in your arguments.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Angus, I found out yesterday that Centrelink is using hardware from the early 1980s, probably programmed in something dead, like COBOL ...

No wonder they have the massive problems they have.

I've just won a long running matter against them in the AAT. Their documentation for the case exemplified everything that's wrong with their hardware and software.

In that kind of environment, there is a good deal of merit in your arguments.

Probably the least of their worries TBH. I know people who've worked as case workers at Centrelink. Their corporate culture is toxic, their toilet breaks are timed and it's all about how many phone calls they can churn through, not about whether or not their phone calls have a result.

Politics is banned from this forum, which is probably a good thing, because otherwise I'd probably get banned for telling you exactly what I think of the Minister whose portfolio Centrelink falls under.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Do you know the speed difference of network drives vs m.2 nVME drives? I'm not going to sacrifice the efficiency today's superfast SSDs provide.

And I've got a powerful laptop as well but you still can't compare it to my desktop. Not by speed nor anything else either. Well... Maybe portability but I'd rather still use my 27" screen where it stands than the 13" screen on the Dell XPS.

And I want everything on one machine. And I want it to be as fast as it possibly can. I also have multiple VMs (virtual machines) on my desktop but using them for e.g. image processing gets a performance hit and isn't as comfortable as using software natively on the host.

So yeah, I've considered many options and have the know-how to do things but at the end of the day I still prefer to tweak the OS to my liking and do things MY way.

Exactly this. I want to consolidate my hardware and software, not fragment it even moreso.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Do you know the speed difference of network drives vs m.2 nVME drives? I'm not going to sacrifice the efficiency today's superfast SSDs provide.

And I've got a powerful laptop as well but you still can't compare it to my desktop. Not by speed nor anything else either. Well... Maybe portability but I'd rather still use my 27" screen where it stands than the 13" screen on the Dell XPS.

And I want everything on one machine. And I want it to be as fast as it possibly can. I also have multiple VMs (virtual machines) on my desktop but using them for e.g. image processing gets a performance hit and isn't as comfortable as using software natively on the host.

So yeah, I've considered many options and have the know-how to do things but at the end of the day I still prefer to tweak the OS to my liking and do things MY way.
If you use the network drive to store your files that are then accessed for use instead of using the network drive to swap files between computers you are of course going to get problems with time delay.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
If you use the network drive to store your files that are then accessed for use instead of using the network drive to swap files between computers you are of course going to get problems with time delay.
No matter what you do and how you do it, there is no competition to having the files on an internal superfast SSD. Not speed wise nor convenient wise. But yeah, this is getting off topic now...

Latest threads

Top Bottom