Photoshop 2021 is out.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have been watching a few youtube videos about the new PS. There are quite a few improvements in every area.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I'm usually trigger happy too when it comes to updates, but in this case it broke my NIK software, so my advice to keep both 2020 and 2021 was specifically for those using NIK 2 or earlier, at least until there's a fix or they upgrade.

I've not had many direct problems with Adobe updates, only with the NIK plug-ins

Oh dear - I'm trying to figure out what they haven't broke!

My jpeg exports seem to be demonstrating somewhat of a larger colour shift than normal - as in - WOW that's a bit vivid!

EDIT: that was my fault, although previewing in 'save for web' with 'monitor color' is a pretty daft default!

The new version seems to be having a spot of bother reading Adobe's own embedded profiles too. Marching ants have developed a mind of their own.

You are quite right - best to keep 2020 for now.

You would have thought they would have learned something from their last launch? I wonder if they put undue pressure on themselves by insisting on releasing the major update in parallel with Adobe Max?

Last edited:

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Oh dear - I'm trying to figure out what they haven't broke!

My jpeg exports seem to be demonstrating somewhat of a larger colour shift than normal - as in - WOW that's a bit vivid!

EDIT: that was my fault, although previewing in 'save for web' with 'monitor color' is a pretty daft default!

The new version seems to be having a spot of bother reading Adobe's own embedded profiles too. Marching ants have developed a mind of their own.

You are quite right - best to keep 2020 for now.

You would have thought they would have learned something from their last launch? I wonder if they put undue pressure on themselves by insisting on releasing the major update in parallel with Adobe Max?

Well, my adventure continues. My NIK brush tool in 2020 now has the same problem it had in 2021, yet in 2021, it now semi works with some major glitches. And I haven't altered the installation in any way.

It's not an urgent problem for me, and I was considering upgrading to NIK 3 anyway, but it's a concern that I'll be forced into a paid upgrade of NIK each time Adobe update PS. Maybe DXO PL4 is the way forward?

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Just leave PS2020 installed and install 2021 alongside. Best of both worlds.
The thing is that I'm using 2019 as my main PS and the (almost :D ) latest for the features the 2019 lacks. But I still don't want to be their beta tester so I don't rush with the updates.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Seems I don't have a choice ...

The standard dishonest and probably collusive practices now blocks the Bridge and Photoshop updates from working with Win 7 Pro 64. This effectively forces an "upgrade" to Windows 10, which will undoubtedly cause problems with drivers and software for all kinds of peripherals ...

We are also still using Office 2003. It is stable, even robust, compared with later releases, and contains Outlook.

Same with our CS5 and CS6 Premium licences. Both contain Acrobat Pro which I use on an almost daily basis.

So I will stay with Win 7 Pro until I can set up a test PC running Win 10 Pro to check what I'm really going to have problems with, software and driver wise.

Of course, Adobe's next "upgrade" will probably be to make ACR incompatible with Win 7 Pro. They have done this before with ACR and Windows XP Pro ...

Dishonest mongrels, the lot of them.
I would have stayed on Win7 too but I read that Adobe will drop support for it so I switched to Win10 when I upgraded my hardware in January.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm still using Office 2000 on my personal PC (despite the spellcheck is broken in Win10 and I haven't managed to fix it). :)

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I would have stayed on Win7 too but I read that Adobe will drop support for it so I switched to Win10 when I upgraded my hardware in January.
How did that go, Teemu?

I have one device (HP Laserjet 5P printer) that is nearly 30 y.o.

Cost a bomb then, and is still our main network printer. Costs less than $0.02 per page ... about 1/10th the cost of an inkjet print.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
How did that go, Teemu?

I have one device (HP Laserjet 5P printer) that is nearly 30 y.o.

Cost a bomb then, and is still our main network printer. Costs less than $0.02 per page ... about 1/10th the cost of an inkjet print.
Well... Had to resort to some external programs to get Win10 act more like Win7 (or XP actually...) but all the devices and software I use(d) still work which I guess is the main thing. Still hate a thing or two about the Win10 but nothing I can do about them. And believe me, I've tried. :D

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus

EDIT: Oh, and I'm still using Office 2000 on my personal PC (despite the spellcheck is broken in Win10 and I haven't managed to fix it). :)

I used to have a client that was still running an Access 97 database as their main business application.

Getting Access 97 installed on Windows 10 64 bit was doable, but a massive headache. Just migrate the stupid thing to SQL and be done with it FFS.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Well... Had to resort to some external programs to get Win10 act more like Win7 (or XP actually...) but all the devices and software I use(d) still work which I guess is the main thing. Still hate a thing or two about the Win10 but nothing I can do about them. And believe me, I've tried. :D

I appreciate your experience, mate.

Classic Start Menu is a necessity, IMO.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
I appreciate your experience, mate.

Classic Start Menu is a necessity, IMO.

I just remove all the stupid Live Tile things and turn off all the "features". My Windows 10 Start Menu is just a standard list of Programs (like every other version of Windows prior to Windows 8).

1603703576464.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why don't you guys just use more than one computer? I have one laptop using W8 and another one using W10. The programs that don't want to run on W10 are then on W8. My network drive solves to problem with swapping files like Word etc between laptops.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Why don't you guys just use more than one computer? I have one laptop using W8 and another one using W10. The programs that don't want to run on W10 are then on W8. My network drive solves to problem with swapping files like Word etc between laptops.

Why wouldn't you just virtualize the older environment? I THINK it was Windows 7 (been a while) that used to ship with a virtualised Windows XP environment for this very reason.

Personally this is (partially) why I love the SaaS model though. I instantly have access to the latest and greatest updates and don't have to faff about deciding whether or not it's worth paying to upgrade. And the software vendor knows that if what they're offering doesn't run on the latest OS updates it's going to hurt their bottom line when their users jump ship, so they get a working version of their application out pretty quick.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why wouldn't you just virtualize the older environment? I THINK it was Windows 7 (been a while) that used to ship with a virtualised Windows XP environment for this very reason.
I have some CAD programs that are eye watering expensive and just don't go for that kind of emulation. To update them to the latest W10 version might involve selling a kidney, which I am not prepared to do. That one is reserved for an 8K M43 Panasonic.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I have some CAD programs that are eye watering expensive and just don't go for that kind of emulation. To update them to the latest W10 version might involve selling a kidney, which I am not prepared to do. That one is reserved for an 8K M43 Panasonic.

Off topic - CAD programs are a little pricey.

I bought a copy of Solidworks at a Citylink parcels lost property auction about 10 years ago. After many threats, a call from my local police and a degree of negotiation, their lawyers paid me $5000 NOT to sell it on ebay :)

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
I just looked up, an AutoCAD is about $350 a month. Which would be expensive if it's something you're looking to learn in your own time (although I'm sure it's not hard to an educational license for much less than that). But it's still peanuts for a monthly license cost in the civil engineering world.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Just come off Zoom. Telling my youngest kid about the improvements to PS and LR. She is a theatre designer and modelmaker, using AutoCAD and an old version of PS. She knows what she is doing and does not appreciate Ai tech, not photography. I did not mention ink pens, Rotring equipment , A1 paper and drawing boards. She went from a Pentax digital system to a Lumix bridge camera for ease of us. I like the new PS. Been watching a few YouTube videos, plus Adobe ones.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Do you know the speed difference of network drives vs m.2 nVME drives? I'm not going to sacrifice the efficiency today's superfast SSDs provide.

And I've got a powerful laptop as well but you still can't compare it to my desktop. Not by speed nor anything else either. Well... Maybe portability but I'd rather still use my 27" screen where it stands than the 13" screen on the Dell XPS.

And I want everything on one machine. And I want it to be as fast as it possibly can. I also have multiple VMs (virtual machines) on my desktop but using them for e.g. image processing gets a performance hit and isn't as comfortable as using software natively on the host.

So yeah, I've considered many options and have the know-how to do things but at the end of the day I still prefer to tweak the OS to my liking and do things MY way.

Latest threads

Top Bottom