Photoshop 2021 is out.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Updates available for PS, ACR and LR.

Photoshop gets some new selection tools and refinements to select and mask. Sky replacement to coincide with Luminar 4's launch etc - easy to add your own skies and fully manipulate the results by outputting to layers.

The exciting stuff is what's not been added. The new cloud based neural AI filters, most in beta, are a pretty strong hint that ditching small format cameras in pursuit of quality might have been a wee bit premature :)

LR is said to be quicker and the split toning tool gets a facelift to enable manipulation of the midtones.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First observation on the colour grading tool is that it's tricky with lots of variables. Clicking the circular icons towards the top of the panel lets you focus on the individual tonal ranges.

Second observation - you will almost certainly want to reset the colour wheels and start over.

In Lightroom you can switch the panel off, in ACR you cannot (unless I'm missing something not very obvious).

So, to reset the colour wheels in Lightroom, hold down the Option/Alt key and click/tap 'highlights', 'midtones', 'shadows' to reset them individually, or in ACR, hold Option/Alt and click/tap the group title which will now read 'Reset etc'.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
My mail box was full of offers from Luminar, DXO and a link to Adobe updates to which I subscribe. Free upgrade.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Have just played with it a llittle bit but initial impression is that it's a really good upgrade for PS and ACR

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
This Sky Replace feature is fun. A quick 2 minute edit, and that included learning time....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
The 'neural filters' don't seem to be of much use at the moment beyond a bit of amusement, but I'm intrigued by the fact that there's a noise reduction section to come in the future.

I wasn't too fussed about the sky replace thing until I realised that there's now also an automatic 'sky' option under the select menu, which will definitely come in handy for adjustments.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Uuuuuurgh! PS 2021 has broken the NIK Collection brush tool again! Has any one noticed / fixed this yet? I don't have much time to play with it tonight and it's going to torment my troubled soul.

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The sky replacement works. I have one photo that was criticised in a comp for having a boring sky. I was going to buy Luminar, but too many problems. I watched Serge Ramelli’s sky replacement tutorials using the older version of PS. But now this looks fine. Easy.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Uuuuuurgh! PS 2021 has broken the NIK Collection brush tool again! Has any noticed / fixed this yet? I don't have much time to play with it tonight and it's going to torment my troubled soul.
I've just checked the DXO website, they say that NIK 3 is not yet compatible with PS 2021. Comprehensive support and software updates are only available for the newest release of Nik Collection by DxO, and those using the newest trial version.

Anyone still using NIK 2(.5) might want to keep PS 2020 installed, I've just reinstalled it via Creative Cloud and the NIK brush lives again. Yay, I shall now sleep soundly tonight 😃

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I've just checked the DXO website, they say that NIK 3 is not yet compatible with PS 2021. Comprehensive support and software updates are only available for the newest release of Nik Collection by DxO, and those using the newest trial version.

Anyone still using NIK 2(.5) might want to keep PS 2020 installed, I've just reinstalled it via Creative Cloud and the NIK brush lives again. Yay, I shall now sleep soundly tonight 😃
Im using NIK.3 with PS 2021 and have not had any problems yet, everything seems to work

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Im using NIK.3 with PS 2021 and have not had any problems yet, everything seems to work
I’ve been thinking about upgrading to V3, this may be another justification, though I’m a little annoyed that I paid to upgrade to V2 less than a year ago for this very reason.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Uuuuuurgh! PS 2021 has broken the NIK Collection brush tool again! Has any one noticed / fixed this yet? I don't have much time to play with it tonight and it's going to torment my troubled soul.
Every major Adobe update breaks something! That's why I'm waiting a month or two before updating. They'll have time to fix those bugs while waiting.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 'neural filters' don't seem to be of much use at the moment beyond a bit of amusement, but I'm intrigued by the fact that there's a noise reduction section to come in the future.

I wasn't too fussed about the sky replace thing until I realised that there's now also an automatic 'sky' option under the select menu, which will definitely come in handy for adjustments.
I think the row of 'this-is-what's coming-soon' neural filters are Adobe's way of countering what other software companies are doing presently, ie, spending a fortune advertising feature packed software that they haven't finished and have no release date for.

The best thing about the sky replace feature is that it's easy to build your own library of skies and edit the results fully yourself. Luminar have a great 'reflection' feature in store, but it's a simple enough edit when you can access layers and a brush - and of course, you get full control over what the software is doing and a truly unique result.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom