Photoshoot, how to find models?

jo45800

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi everyone, I am wondering for those who are doing a lot of photoshoot, how are you finding your mordels? Since the beginning of the summer I would like to try some photoshoot but I can't find a single person who wants pictures:frown: (maybe because I don't have a photoshoot portfolio yet). I live in Montreal and I tried the local classified ads but in there, there are more than 100 "photographers" that are trying to do the same:confused:.

And I don't have any friends who want pictures...

If you have some tips, I would be glad to hear it.

thanks

D

Deleted member 20897

Websites:

Model Mayhem
One Model Place

Do Trade for Print or Trade for CD

Evan614

Mu-43 Regular
My friend would always carry business cards. Then pay compliments to people he would want to photograph. he would pick the eyes, cheek line, or hair. flash his business card. Then offer free sitting. No pressure to purchase a photo and if you permit 'me' to use one image for self business promotion 'I' would give you one photo free. (or e-mail).
It worked about 20% of the time. so you should get 1 out of 5.

jo45800

Mu-43 Veteran
Websites:

Model Mayhem
One Model Place

Do Trade for Print or Trade for CD

thanks for your tips, but my understanding is to register for those website, you have to put at least a couple of pictures and that's my problem, I don't have any "model shoot" to show.

jo45800

Mu-43 Veteran
My friend would always carry business cards. Then pay compliments to people he would want to photograph. he would pick the eyes, cheek line, or hair. flash his business card. Then offer free sitting. No pressure to purchase a photo and if you permit 'me' to use one image for self business promotion 'I' would give you one photo free. (or e-mail).

Thanks, I have thought of that but I am sort of introvert/shy so I am not at ease to talk to strangers on the street. But maybe I will try.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve

I've considered doing something along these lines too, but I usually chicken out. I think it's a great idea though if you are a people person. I do see some women on occasion that I really would love to photograph, because they have stunning eyes or something.

I've noticed a difference living in two different states that is can be easier/harder to find willing models just based on location, for whatever reason.

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
my understanding is to register for those website, you have to put at least a couple of pictures and that's my problem, I don't have any "model shoot" to show.
Start off with friends and/or family. Or find a portraiture class or group shoot in your area where someone else procures the model(s).

Thanks, I have thought of that but I am sort of introvert/shy so I am not at ease to talk to strangers on the street. But maybe I will try.
If you're serious about photographing people you will need to get past this.
Many introverts can and do learn extrovert-like behaviors. It's not easy, and it can be draining, but it's certainly doable.

S

synthetictone

Wow... I was surprised I didn't find more photography groups in the area doing model shoots. Try this Meetup group though. This might be a good way to build your portfolio. There are at least a dozen of these groups on Meetup near where I live that are doing this model shoots. Sometimes the cost is as low as $10-$20 for a shoot with lots of models and other photographers where you give the models free photos for their time. Others can go as high as $150 per session if it is a pro model and limited number of photographers.

I use these groups on Meetup a lot to find events like this. Here is a shot from one of the large TFP events that attended. He was a musician just looking to get some nice photos. The event host provided the venue, lighting and setup all the models. View attachment 378608

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi everyone, I am wondering for those who are doing a lot of photoshoot, how are you finding your mordels? Since the beginning of the summer I would like to try some photoshoot but I can't find a single person who wants pictures:frown: (maybe because I don't have a photoshoot portfolio yet). I live in Montreal and I tried the local classified ads but in there, there are more than 100 "photographers" that are trying to do the same:confused:.

And I don't have any friends who want pictures...

If you have some tips, I would be glad to hear it.

thanks
Go to local hair salon schools or similar. From there you can easily get help as there are some students who need photos for their portfolio and you can trade photos to modeling.

Then later it is easy with business card to pick people from streets. Just do not suggest your "studio" or other weird places or times as people gets.... You know, wrong ideas. Simply suggesting public places and normal times and so on. Often you can just do street photography and get good shots that way too at begin. Requires only courage and manners.

noohoggin1

Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio
Real Name
Tom
Unfortunately, it's like a catch-22: models will be more inclined to shoot with you if you have something to show (a portfolio of models), but you can't have a port if you can't find models in the first place. If you have friends/family, that is the easiest way to start. At least that's what I did over a decade ago--my sister thankfully had a few very attractive friends and referred them to me. And because of her connection to me, there was no "weirdness" or apprehension on their part.

Registering on Model Mayhem (after you get a few pics) is a good idea. You'll often find models who are cool with TFP (time for prints/cd/etc.) trade. Keep in mind, however, that these types of models are generally far from top-notch quality if that's what you're after. Another good thing about Model Mayhem is that sometimes you will find decent models who will work with photographers of all levels, but they charge a rate. These types of models are there to make money to either supplement their income or perhaps even make a full-time living out of it. In the end--money talks. And if you have some to spare, there shouldn't be a reason why you can't find a good looking, potentially-portfolio-worthy model. Consider it an investment in gaining experience/portfolio.

jo45800

Mu-43 Veteran
Unfortunately, it's like a catch-22: models will be more inclined to shoot with you if you have something to show (a portfolio of models), but you can't have a port if you can't find models in the first place. If you have friends/family, that is the easiest way to start. At least that's what I did over a decade ago--my sister thankfully had a few very attractive friends and referred them to me. And because of her connection to me, there was no "weirdness" or apprehension on their part.

Registering on Model Mayhem (after you get a few pics) is a good idea. You'll often find models who are cool with TFP (time for prints/cd/etc.) trade. Keep in mind, however, that these types of models are generally far from top-notch quality if that's what you're after. Another good thing about Model Mayhem is that sometimes you will find decent models who will work with photographers of all levels, but they charge a rate. These types of models are there to make money to either supplement their income or perhaps even make a full-time living out of it. In the end--money talks. And if you have some to spare, there shouldn't be a reason why you can't find a good looking, potentially-portfolio-worthy model. Consider it an investment in gaining experience/portfolio.

thank you! I will try, for the family part I live 6000kms from them so it will be a little bit complicated ^^ that's why it's hard for me because I live in Montreal but I am from France so I don't have many friends here... but I will try every tips in this post

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
If a potential model is a bit concerned about you, you could always suggest that they can bring a friend with them. It may be a bit distracting to have an extra person on hand, but it does offer a sense of more security for a model.

--Ken

jo45800

Mu-43 Veteran
If a potential model is a bit concerned about you, you could always suggest that they can bring a friend with them. It may be a bit distracting to have an extra person onhand, but it does offer a sense of more security for a model.

--Ken

thanks great tips, I never thought about that and now your are saying that it's makes a lot of sens!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
You need to practice with people around you that you know. Friends, co-workers. These people that know you will be more comfortable around you, and that shows through in your photographs. And I don't mean just do one shoot and think you are ready. Keep bugging them to do shoots and practice practice practice. Once you have a few good shots you can use it as a starting portfolio. THEN you can begin to approach models. Nobody would want to work with you if you have nothing to show, and why should they?

Jonathan I enjoy your work, you have a great eye and I can tell you have the skill necessary. You just need to get a few good shots of your friends and the rest will come easy. I wish you luck!

D

Deleted member 20897

Do a local TFP/TFCD shoot. You have to get over being shy, otherwise people will just think that you are a "guy with camera".

Offer to do a volunteer shoot for some local organization, give them the files for free and you'll get images that are suitable for getting you hooked up at one of the model places. That is provided you have the requisite skill already to get quality shots.

jo45800

Mu-43 Veteran
You need to practice with people around you that you know. Friends, co-workers. These people that know you will be more comfortable around you, and that shows through in your photographs. And I don't mean just do one shoot and think you are ready. Keep bugging them to do shoots and practice practice practice. Once you have a few good shots you can use it as a starting portfolio. THEN you can begin to approach models. Nobody would want to work with you if you have nothing to show, and why should they?

Jonathan I enjoy your work, you have a great eye and I can tell you have the skill necessary. You just need to get a few good shots of your friends and the rest will come easy. I wish you luck!

thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it.

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
If a potential model is a bit concerned about you, you could always suggest that they can bring a friend with them. It may be a bit distracting to have an extra person on hand, but it does offer a sense of more security for a model.

--Ken
And they can even hold reflector in outdoors for fill light. Not a difficult task.

Latest threads

Top Bottom