1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

photos with the GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sam_m, Dec 17, 2011.

1. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Got my GX1 today and im chuffed to bits with it, there is a definate step-up from the GF1 in terms of IQ and speed!!!

6527575167_d5b9034cf7_b.
    Trees of Light by scm-photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 31
  2. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    What a splendid start with your new GX1! :thumbup: I'm also getting on rather well with mine.

3. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks Arie, its certainly a lovely bit of kit:biggrin:!!!

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice! I sure hope the shots of the Ferris wheel were long exposures , otherwise somebody has figured out how to make it an "extreme" ride!:tongue:
    Love the golden hour shots. Was that morning or afternoon?

5. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Thank you, they were in the afternoon. I have a 52-77mm stepup ring and was going to try the 10stop with this camera which would have been perfect with those clouds, but the typical situation is I forgot the filter!!!!

Im impressed with the long exposure, even with noise reduction off it still produces beautifully clean images.

I have one gripe though, tried doing some timelapse with it with a wireless remote, and you cant switch the LCD off to save battery :frown:. You could do with the GF1.

6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    That's a good thing, right? :wink:

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Very nice! Are you shooting raw or jpegs? I almost always shoot raw so the question is somewhat academic, but I'm always interested in Pany's improvements to its jpeg processing, which as been pretty bad at times in the past.

At some point in the spring, I'm pretty likely to add another m43 body (unless Fuji totally steals my heart with the ILC its expected to announce in January sometime...). Unless there's some major announcement or release from Pany or Oly in the meantime, it'll be between this and the EP3. There are many pros to the EP3, not the least of which being my preference for the Oly control layout, the ergonomics of the camera, IBIS, and compatibility with the EVF I already own for my EPL3. OTOH, all but the EVF compatibility are fairly minor preferences and the high ISO performance of the GX1 might be enough to win me over. Being able to shoot comfortably at iso 3200 is a pretty nice thing for the kind of stuff I do and the early results I've seen from the GX1 are very encouraging.

8. gfspencer

gfspencer Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    North Carolina
    Sam, those are great! :thumbup: My GX-1 comes tomorrow. I'm getting pumped.

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Nice nice!!! I love the ferris wheel long exposure photos!

10. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Sorry I missed this post. I usually always shoot in Raw, but for timelapse work I used jpeg (on the GF1) because it couldnt handle the buffer of the Raw images which is another reason for the upgrade. Now the fact you cant switch the LCD off is a bit of a pain and unexpected.

11. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Great photos!!

12. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks chaps, always exciting to get a new toy, I`ve got a Samyang 7.5mm turning up tommorow, just hope I get time to try it out!!!

13. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    ferris wheel is way cool! it would also be cool if someone could give a simple explanation on how to do it for rookies.rookies like me need it simple.how do i long exposure? use a tripod? i'm going to search my copy of "understanding exposure" but maybe someone here can help. if i only had a ferris wheel close at hand.thanks everyone . just tried on my ceiling fan ,i think i get it.low light in room ,set for 1 sec. exp., fan on low,looks like fan is going 100 mph in pic.

14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Simple! The simplest way would be to set to shutter priority mode. You set the duration and the camera will match the aperture. Yes you will need to have the camera mounted on a tripod. Best to use the shutter timer or a remote release to prevent any shake.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Can I say Wow???!!! Great shots. I'm not sure how you found the sunset shots so quickly after getting the new cam. I have to wait days to get good sunset shots but yours are stunning. Thank you.

Dan

16. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Excellent shots, my fave is the shot with the bench, superb image

17. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    How are you finding the build quality of the camera? I'm reading a few people complaining it's not up to the standards set by the GF1, things like buttons not aligned and LCD screens on slight angles.. strange..
    ?

18. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice shots Sam - I have to wait until later in Jan for mine but your images inspire me to be patient - currently still have my GF1.

Getting excited though..............are you using any of the new X lenses and if so, I would love to know what you think of their performance?

19. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    Not trying to steal sam_m's thread here but my GX1 build quality/fit/finish is every bit as good as that of my 2 GF1 bodies.

My LCD screen sits square to the camera body and all buttons are concentric to the holes in the camera body shell. I also don't find the pop-up flash as being flimsy .. sure, it's not as robust as one that pops straight up but the plastic arm that pushes the flash head up and forward is quite sturdy.

Yeah .. I've seen the comments over on the "cranky" forum. Perhaps copious amounts of rum and eggnog were involved just prior to those posts.:rofl:

Maybe there's sample variation but I highly doubt it.

20. nicholasswan

nicholasswan Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    I agree with above. I find the build just amazing. Compared to my old NEX 5 the build is much sturdy and I guess strong feeling. I find that nothing is out of line or not strait? And the flash being able to tilt up I think confuses people into thinking its not sturdy but it is. It has a nice weight.