Photos that inspire or move us

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
So, this is somewhat of an extension of the thread titled "inspiration".

Much of what I would consider my "better" photography is completly situational in that, the moment itself is inspiring or moves me. Many times, however, we take those pictures that just aren't keepers.

Like good music moves us, makes us feel, pictures can do the same. But I find myself, looking at my own pictures, and pictures spread all across the interweb, that just don't move me.

So, what I'd like from the forum members is to post a picture, which maybe yours or from someone else's gallery, that moves you. I'd also like to know "why" it moves you.

The reason I ask, is I wonder how many times that there are photos that we take that we try to make too technical, or conversly, photos that move us that don't follow the traditional rules of photography.

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
I have to admit that I'm a photographer of chance. I take a million photos and pick out the ... 2 that I think are good.

It is totally true what you say about emotions though. When I look at photos, my own or anyone elses, all I really care about is if it gives me a feeling - mostly happy feelings, for some reaons sad feeling photos are categorised differently for me

I must admit though I don't often see the feeling until after I download the image to my computer. The LCD is not good enough on the e-p1 to really see much except framing.

I find that if I take photos doing things I'm passionate about it helps a lot. When I go out to "take photos" it just doesn't work for me. I'm sure I get better at the technical aspects of photography but I never catch any emotions. When I just carry my camera around while I'm doing things I enjoy - those I can usually find pictures to keep.

As for pictures I like, I can browse through the gallery here, most of the pictures I like are animal/pet pictures, either they make me spontaneously laugh, or they make me go "awwww". Some scenic pictures do it for me too, they make me want to go visit that place. Urban photos rarely do anything for me at all.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
So, what I'd like from the forum members is to post a picture, which maybe yours or from someone else's gallery
I really don't like being the bad guy on copyright, but I have to clarify that no one should post an image from someone else without their explicit permission. I think this is a great idea for a thread but ask that if you find someone else's photo inspirational, please post a link to it's page without embedding it in this thread unless you have permission to embed.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I really don't like being the bad guy on copyright, but I have to clarify that no one should post an image from someone else without their explicit permission. I think this is a great idea for a thread but ask that if you find someone else's photo inspirational, please post a link to it's page without embedding it in this thread unless you have permission to embed.
Thank you for clarifying this. And you would be correct sir!

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran

SimplyEd

Mu-43 Regular
I was inspired to take photographs because of my love for poetry. When I was still a kid I love looking at pictures and make poems using those pictures.

Cheers!!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
DJ,
I've moved this thread to be a sticky. Hopefully we can get many members to post on it. You have brought up some key issues/ideas that we all should share...
Thank You Sir!
shooter

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Not sure i would say that this picture 'inspired' me... but there is something about it that makes me keep looking at it.

technically its pretty lousy... but there is some form of emotional connection there.

There is also a timeless quality... it could have been taken anytime in the last 100 years.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
This image inspires me. I guess it's because it's an image of my wife. She's looking at me with a slight smile. That means maybe I have it right. Her smile keeps me motivated and inspired. It's a sign of acceptance and trust. When she's not smiling, well, I'd be better off washing the dishes than making images cause I would get a better result.

This image inspires me.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
This photograph from kevinparis is inspirational to me.

I can't exactly put it into words, but it draws me in and has a cinematic feel that I would like to capture in my people photography.
Sorry I haven't responded to this in a while. Its been a busy few weeks.

Amin,

I love this picture. There is so much going on in it, but at the same time, its simple. I can see why it can inspire.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
This photograph from kevinparis is inspirational to me.

I can't exactly put it into words, but it draws me in and has a cinematic feel that I would like to capture in my people photography.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one inspired and inspires me, as well. I posted my reasons on the Image Quest gallery...and said it reminded me of an old master as in a painting by someone along the lines of Rembrandt.

There are a number of photographs on this thread that I see and get what it is that people are responding to. To me, to be able to do that would be something else. I think in the last 35 years I've achieved it a handful of times.

Great thread.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom