1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photos that inspire or move us

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Djarum, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So, this is somewhat of an extension of the thread titled "inspiration".

Much of what I would consider my "better" photography is completly situational in that, the moment itself is inspiring or moves me. Many times, however, we take those pictures that just aren't keepers.

Like good music moves us, makes us feel, pictures can do the same. But I find myself, looking at my own pictures, and pictures spread all across the interweb, that just don't move me.

So, what I'd like from the forum members is to post a picture, which maybe yours or from someone else's gallery, that moves you. I'd also like to know "why" it moves you.

The reason I ask, is I wonder how many times that there are photos that we take that we try to make too technical, or conversly, photos that move us that don't follow the traditional rules of photography.

• Like Like x 2
  2. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I have to admit that I'm a photographer of chance. I take a million photos and pick out the ... 2 that I think are good.

It is totally true what you say about emotions though. When I look at photos, my own or anyone elses, all I really care about is if it gives me a feeling - mostly happy feelings, for some reaons sad feeling photos are categorised differently for me

I must admit though I don't often see the feeling until after I download the image to my computer. The LCD is not good enough on the e-p1 to really see much except framing.

I find that if I take photos doing things I'm passionate about it helps a lot. When I go out to "take photos" it just doesn't work for me. I'm sure I get better at the technical aspects of photography but I never catch any emotions. When I just carry my camera around while I'm doing things I enjoy - those I can usually find pictures to keep.

As for pictures I like, I can browse through the gallery here, most of the pictures I like are animal/pet pictures, either they make me spontaneously laugh, or they make me go "awwww". Some scenic pictures do it for me too, they make me want to go visit that place. Urban photos rarely do anything for me at all.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I really don't like being the bad guy on copyright, but I have to clarify that no one should post an image from someone else without their explicit permission. I think this is a great idea for a thread but ask that if you find someone else's photo inspirational, please post a link to it's page without embedding it in this thread unless you have permission to embed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thank you for clarifying this. And you would be correct sir!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks Dj, and sorry to interrupt the flow of the thread. Now back to the good stuff :wink:.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason

No problem. I don't want to get anyone into trouble over little ole me :wink:

9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
  10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    DJ,
    How about posting images that each has made of their own that has inspired....

11. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thats fine with me.

What I'm trying to get a feel for, is more the emotional side of photography vs the technical side. We have lots of thread brewing on the technical side of photography.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This photograph from kevinparis is inspirational to me.

I can't exactly put it into words, but it draws me in and has a cinematic feel that I would like to capture in my people photography.

14. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    I was inspired to take photographs because of my love for poetry. When I was still a kid I love looking at pictures and make poems using those pictures.

Cheers!!

15. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    DJ,
    I've moved this thread to be a sticky. Hopefully we can get many members to post on it. You have brought up some key issues/ideas that we all should share...
    Thank You Sir!
    shooter

• Like Like x 1
  16. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Not sure i would say that this picture 'inspired' me... but there is something about it that makes me keep looking at it.

technically its pretty lousy... but there is some form of emotional connection there.

There is also a timeless quality... it could have been taken anytime in the last 100 years.

3123219752_defa0d45b9.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    This image inspires me. I guess it's because it's an image of my wife. She's looking at me with a slight smile. That means maybe I have it right. Her smile keeps me motivated and inspired. It's a sign of acceptance and trust. When she's not smiling, well, I'd be better off washing the dishes than making images cause I would get a better result.

This image inspires me.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Sorry I haven't responded to this in a while. Its been a busy few weeks.

Amin,

I love this picture. There is so much going on in it, but at the same time, its simple. I can see why it can inspire.

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Kevin,

Thats a very interesting photo. There is a feel of motion to it that makes it grabbing.

SS,

Excelent picture.

20. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

4427377024_9918872b9e_b.

This one inspired and inspires me, as well. I posted my reasons on the Image Quest gallery...and said it reminded me of an old master as in a painting by someone along the lines of Rembrandt.

There are a number of photographs on this thread that I see and get what it is that people are responding to. To me, to be able to do that would be something else. I think in the last 35 years I've achieved it a handful of times.

Great thread.