1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photos of watches

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DaveyA, Apr 2, 2015.

1. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I am wanting to take some photos as I strip down a watch to help as a reference when I come to rebuild it. I have an EM5 and a few lenses but not sure which would be best. I have the 12-50 kit lens which has a macro button on the lens. I am thinking this would be the one to use, my other lenses are the 14, 25, and 45. How does the button on the 12-50 work? Do you have to keep it pressed as you take the shot, I have tried depressing it on and off but I can not see any indication in the display that it is either on or off. Assuming this is the lens to use, roughly what is the closest the camera will be from the subject when focused and might a mini tripod or similar be a good idea.
    Thanks

2. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    About the 12-50

Press the button and move the Autofocus/manual focus ring forward. The lens will then lock at 43mm (i believe) and focus closer then its usual distance.

I have never done what you are planning to do but if you want a close ups i believe the 12-50 is your best lens for the job.

Make sure you have enough light when taking the pictures and a small tripod would not hurt the sharpness of your images.

3. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Just tried it. That's just what I need, never knew it would do that. I think with a small tripod it will do a great job.
    Thanks for that:th_salute:

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Who needs a camera, I took this with my iPhone 5s and edited it with the PS app.

16397985034_e2f80e61aa_c. image by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1