1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photos of the GH2 - Ownuser Battery Grip

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by lannes, Jan 10, 2012.

1. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    Here are some pictures, it's quite a neat installation
    [​IMG]
    _MG_5359.

The shutter cable is the only thing that is a bit of a band aid
    _MG_5360.
    _MG_5362.

The extension to the length of the main grip helps in grip
    [​IMG]

The battery insert does not affect the main grip
    _MG_5367.

The batteries fit into either end of the grip, with a small switch which switches between them
    _MG_5369.
    _MG_5371.

The vertical orientation is very comfortable
    _MG_5376.

All functions work as described

• Like Like x 10
  2. hanklepstein

hanklepstein New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks for the nice look at the grip. Does it take GH1 or GH2 batteries? I can't find a clear answer to this anywhere...

3. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    This grip is specifically for the GH-2, so it takes 2 of the GH-2 batteries.
    It's important to get the grip specifically for the right camera model, as the battery insert needs to be compatible

4. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    So does this mean you have three batteries on the go, two in the grip and one in the body, with this grip?

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    By the looks of it, just 2. The battery compartment in the camera is filled with the adapter that connects to the 2 batteries in the grip.

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Sweet setup. I can see the appeal..pricy though if you're filling it with official Panasonic batteries.

7. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    The deal breaker for me is the lack of duplicate controls on the grip. It's wonderful that I can shoot in portrait mode comfortably, but if I need to change aperture or reach a button, well, I have to reposition my hand, change the setting and then go back. That kills it in my mind. I know panasonic likely doesn't have provisions for controls in a grip, but it still is a major flaw, and in my mind, a big enough one to have me pass. The cameras I owned with grips (Canon 300D with grip, then 1D II and 1Ds II with built in portrait grips) all had the main controls duplicated so that the operation of the camera was the same in either orientation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ownuser Grip

Can you comment on the general feel of the grip? My two main complains with the GH2's overall shape are:

1. Because it is short, vertically, I can only wrap two fingers and my shutter finger around it. My pinky is waiving around doing nothing to stabilize the camera.

2. There are so many buttons on the back of the camera that I inevitably hit either the ECO lock, ISO button or the WB button. Resting my thumb way over on the viewing screen helps, but not much.

I was hoping that the Ownuser grip might relieve these issues by providing a bit more space to grab the camera. What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Seems like way overkill for me for just an extra battery. I can just put my extra battery in my pocket...

10. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    As you mention there are no electrical contacts for the grip to control any of the normal camera features, lets hope their available in the gh3

11. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    There is definitely a nice spot created for the pinky using the grip, it rests above the vertical grip shutter release.

It doesn't change the thumb position if you rest it on the thumb pad below the control dial, but the grip does give you a better purchase on it as it's now longer, it's more stable than without the grip

12. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    Yes that's right - 2 batteries plus an adapter that replaces the original battery in the body

13. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    The main advantage is that with the grip there is more to hold onto.

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Thanks for the photos. Very informative. I'll have to get my order in.

15. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    I ordered mine directly from Ownuser the manufacturer

16. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Cool! how much do they cost tho?

17. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    Ownuser, I believe are based in Taiwan, so you should be able to get it quite cheaply.

The price on their website is USD 109 for the basic grip

• Like Like x 1
  18. caver3d

caver3d New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012
    Yes, this is correct. I also have the Ownuser grip on my GH2. It is just the ticket as it provides more to grip onto whether in horizontal or vertical mode. It is much better than carrying around a second battery, as one poster mentioned.

I like it. Recommended.:thumbup:

caver3d