1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photos lacking quality on G3 with Panasonic 25mm.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by colbycheese, Mar 16, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have a Panasonic G3 with the Panasonic Leica 25 lens. I feel my photos are lacking in colour and sharpness. I have looked through photos with the same lens on the forums here and they just don't compare. Take this photo as an example:
    P1180396_zpsbe86896b.
    It might be because of the lighting, or my settings. I think the colour issue is caused by white balance settings, which i cannot seem to get right. I'm thinking the sharpness could be improved by adjust the sharpness in camera. I am asking if anyone could share their camera settings with me, so my pictures can look better.
    Thanks

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are you shooting jpeg or raw? The G3 is actually really sharp, but default settings are very mild. I'd either shoot raw or apply aggressive sharpening.

3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    im shooting jpeg

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd apply stronger sharpening and reduce color noise on the G3. Both can be done in Photoshop, Lightroom or whatever editing program you are using. Good luck!

5. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    Well, it could be lots of things:

Non-full spectrum lighting, mercury vapor will suppress reds and yellow.

If you are web posting, sRGB will pop more than Adobe 1998 color space.

Might be a bit underexposed, brighten in post.

Turn up saturation in camera settings.

Actually looks quite good to me, I think camera and lens are probably fine.

6. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Lookup my posts on my raw workflow with the G5.
    The G3 has a similar (same?) sensor and so this info might be of interest to you.

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Actually, no. Not if your image is tagged properly, and your browser is colorspace aware - sRGB and Adobe RGB images should look pretty much identical on almost any monitor you'd care to view it on. I don't believe many folks are using a calibrated wide gamut LCD for casual web-based viewing. In my opinion, there's zero benefit to using Adobe RGB for web-based sharing, or even for most print jobs, unless you really know what you're doing/want or your lab specifically requests Adobe RGB files. Mine doesn't, but does provide paper and printer ICC profiles, which I use in conjunction with either Adobe or ProPhoto RGB (easier to go from wider to narrower than the other way around).

For stuff for the web, though, sRGB. Every time.

8. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    For a lot of people Panasonic colors are a bit dull. AWB is a few notches behind other makes as well. Shoot raw and use Dxo camera profiles if you want some familiar pop from another brand or just tweak your raws.

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    While you are correct, the part I quoted is the issue for most. I only know of Firefox (with an extension) that can handle aRGB (and possibly Safari?)

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Safari, Chrome and Firefox are all color managed (at least, the most recent versions I run on my Mac are). More importantly, perhaps, there is to the best of my knowledge no native color management support for either iOS or Android, although there are limited third party solutions for both platfroms (i.e. spending at least $100 on a calibrator from DataColor and the android or iOS app), and no browsers with ICC profile support on either. So there again, gotta be sRGB.

As an aside, Facebook is terrible. Strips embedded profiles, so things that go up tend to come out looking flat and dull, and the only way to fix it is by not posting them to Facebook directly.

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I don't see that much wrong with the photo you submitted. Yes it is a little dark and a touch blue, but a lot of the 'snap and pop' images you sees uploaded here have been carefully post processed.

If I add about 0.75 stops and put a grey point on the window frames in the background, which is only minor.....

P1180396_zpsbe86896b.

My wife always shoots her G3 on jpeg and vivid. I think it is a bit over the top, but you can always try it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    +1 Lots of folks here shoot RAW and are pretty handy with post processing.

13. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    First thing you should do is move default exposure compensation to +1/3 or even 2/3 EV, regardless of what shooting mode you use. The G3 underexposes at its default metering, and this change should give your images noticeably more punch and reduce the noise (and therefore making it easier to sharpen them).

You could try a RAW editor (SilkyPix comes bundled with the camera, I believe) and play with it a little to see if you can achieve the desired result. I use this exact camera and lens, and I agree it's not super simple to get the most out of the G3, but I love it for its small size and great features.

I always fix white balance in PP, but you could try to create your own presets instead of relying on AWB, if you want to stick to jpegs. Some people have had great success with that fix in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Most images you see here have been improved in various programs to some degree. Consensus is that Panasonic needs that more than Olympus.

• Like Like x 1
  15. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I will experiment until i get what I am looking for.

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Ahhh, the wisdom of the internet.

Pretty sure what you mean is that more people prefer the JPEG output of Olympus. Panasonic makes the sensors in many Olympus cameras, including the EM1.

17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    ....and that such (generalized) preference applies more to past models than present models.....

• Like Like x 1
  18. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    This is not only due to jpeg rendering in camera, but is sensor specific and relates to raw files as well.

I used to own an omd em5 and the raw files were definitely easier to work with in lightroom if comparing raw files from the Panasonic gx1 and g5.

19. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    You are comparing different generations of sensor, as well as sensors from different manufacturers. Yes, the later generation sensors will provide greater dynamic range and will preserve colors better than the older generation. Your EM5 will also produce files with more information than the 12 mp sensors in the Olympus EP3. And of course the GX1 and G5 files had more latitude in post than the EP3s as well... But not as much as the later generation EM5. Using a camera with a later generation of sensor as the basis for arguing that Olympus RAW files are easier to work with than Panasonics is mistaking cause and effect. The later generation sensor is the cause, not the name on the front. Compare an EM5 with a GH3 (same sensor) and you will find no difference.

Also, depending on how you manipulate files in post and what you are looking for in your photos, its possible that either one will be "easier" than the other since sensors from different manufacturers (and even different sensors from the same manufacturer) will have different characteristics. But any assertion that an Olympus RAW file need less "improvement" than Panasonic files is absurd.

Edit: Just to add a bit more, when the cameras had the same generation sensor, even the differences in JPEGs were small enough so that most people couldn't identify files from a G3 vs EPM1. Yes, there is a difference, but really, neither camera looks better in every shot (To my eye. The biggest difference seems to be in exposure, not processing). In some the EPM1 looks better, in others the G3, but the JPEG engine differences are subtle (the exposure differences aren't). Its hard not to come away from this without thinking that confirmation bias is whats behind the the consensus belief about Oly having better JPEGs.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3556851

Olympus seems to have a reality distortion field bigger than Apples. Steve Jobs would be quite impressed. I have read (in these very forums) that "Panasonic JPEGs make me want to vomit", but I look at head to head comparisons like this and can't help but think thats just more internet groupthink without actual basis.

• Like Like x 4
  20. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I was emphasizing exactly what you wrote about.
    I just misquoted (my post was related to the sensor generation difference).

• Like Like x 1