1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Photos from India - 2011

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PhilS, May 31, 2013.

1. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    This trip to India really got me interested in photography, especially micro 4/3.
    I wanted a small, light camera so I bought a GH2. Unfortunately I only took the 14-42mm kit lens which is soft and slow and was pretty inexperienced with composition/lighting etc.

Village-Children-Northern-India.

Street-Barber.

sign1.

Road-side-boys-Northern-India.

prayer-wheels.

net-caster.

monk-boys.

Haidresser.

cars.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:2thumbs::2thumbs: Fantasic shots mate . India is such a colourful and vibrant place .
    Cheers

3. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Very nice.

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Still looks awesome... love the subjects. Great photos:smile:

5. tje53

tje53 Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2013
    Beautiful and fascinating shots!
    The prayer wheels shot: where/what monastery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    These are very nice.

I'm going to Delhi on September, hope I can take some good photos.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I can't see anywhere that the kit lens hurt these shots - beautiful set. :thumbup:

8. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    You captured the spirit of your trip. Whatever else you think/regret about your gear, I think they did their job.

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    India - land of mystery & imagination

What a great set of images.

It had been somewhere high on my list of "must go to places" and last year I got the chance to go to see friends who were working there (not seen for 20yrs).

They lived in Hyderabad but as he flew for an airline, we got the chance to go to Delhi and Agra to see the Taj Mahal.

I found the country to be everything I expected and the people were some of the nicest, friendliest and most well mannered people I have met in my life - add to that the smell, sounds and culture - a real photographers paradise where I wish I had been able to spend more time.

I took my GX1 and my X100 with me but used the GX1 the most and it proved itself the perfect choice from a size, weight perspective and like you, I loved capturing the true India rather than the often seen marketing front.

Here are some of my images below that I hope will compliment yours and encourage others to go there:

GX1 + 45-175 / 14-45.

Taj_at_sunset.

Size_perspective_of_Taj_Mahal.

Outside_the_Taj.

Colours.

Orange.

Style.

Washing_in_the_stream.

begging_bowl.

Washing.

The_look.

Memories.

Pomegranate.

Fully_loaded.

Bottle_collector.

Below are the links to my other India images:
    http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/gx1-in-india-hyderabad.html
    http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/gx1-does-taj-mahal-and-delhi.html
    http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/fuji-x100-india.html

10. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I agree with RevBob and Hyubie--the photos are great, and the kit lens seems to have done a good job. I'm enjoying the pictures, not thinking "gee, this should have been done with a sharper lens."

11. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Iansky,

I love your images, it seems in India there lies a wonderful photograph waiting around each corner. Next time I go back i will go to the western regions, mainly Rajasthan. I especially want to photography the Taj early morning.

tje53

The prayer wheels where taken in a monastery in Gangtok in Sikkim, Northern India up near the Chinese border. To enter, I had to go through a check point patrolled with guards armed with AK-47's and show my passport. The monastery was amazing inside but the light was almost non existent.. next time I go back I will have my fast glass :smile:

The other images were taken in Kolkata and around West Bengal.

12. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I spent some time in India in 2008 as part of a group that supports Christian churches in India. I was based out of Tiruvuru, AP.

In the "jungles" of southern Andhra Pradesh live some of the Banjaran tribes which are the people whose ancestors migrated west and became the "Romany" or "Gypsies". You can really see that in their dress and ornament which is unique.

They are distinguished in particular by their language Lambadi -- which has no written form. Most Christianity that has spread among these peoples has been in the verbal tradition which must be a bit like first century Christianity among unlettered peoples.

I was traveling very light with a Panasonc DVI camcorder, and lots of spare batteries and tapes and that's about it -- no still camera but I took a few with the video camera. The video I did from it is here in two parts: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6u4yWhzUJM"]Part 1 on Youtube[/ame] and [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjgrZOKBkyg"]Part 2 on Youtube[/ame].

Here's some of the stills and they were taken under the light of a single flood light tapped illegally into a low voltage utility line running through the jungle:

4099824230_f1409d98bf_z.
    Banjaran Tribal Women: Attentive by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4099824510_8092944f03_z.
    Banjaran Tribal Women: Prayer by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4099068745_2ed795f394_z.
    Banjaran Women: Distracted by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4099068381_20da09619f_z.
    Banjaran Tribal Women: Prayer by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4099067913_75833477f1_z.
    Banjaran Tribal Women: Mother and Children by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

In this area about 50% of the Banjaran tandas (villages) are Christian and it's all stems from a single woman, a former prostitute and bootlegger, who became a believer and an evangelist to her people. She's taken the biblical name of "Priscilla" who was mentioned by the apostle Paul. It was the dramatic change in her ways which caught peoples attention and helped her to share the gospel.

4099068093_a1cfff308b_z.
    Banjaran Tribal Women: Priscilla by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

I apologize to any non-Christians who may find this offensive. I'm only telling what for me was a powerful story and to show the context of what I was there for. We do NOT do conversions in India and only supported existing Christian populations there.

13. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    PhilS - excellent shots. I think there is nothing wrong with your composition or lighting.

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have been to India twice now, and have to disagree with the above ... The Taj Mahal is the single most amazing human made the I've ever seen and its almost worth going to India to see it. While I agree that the people are nice, and it definitely gives you a new perspective on how good you got it, it is just SO incredibly frustrating to travel in India. Everything takes twice as long as it should.

My pix are here
    http://troyandmollyalloverthemap.shutterfly.com/1006

15. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Phil -Thanks for sharing this wonder grouping. India has a decades long been a dream of mine. As I retire, maybe I can make it a reality.

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The Taj Mahal is a stunning piece of architecture as well as being one of the 7 wonders of the world and I consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity to visit and see it in person.

The drive in a taxi from Delhi to Agra and back (about 6hrs each way) was one of the most frightening I have ever experineced with cars/lorries turning across others, and even going across oncoming traffic! Our driver did this and drove against oncoming traffic to get to a roadside rest area for a drink and a break............I put it down to another of the wonders of India and driving is certainly a life threatening exeprience with no-one obeying any laws - almost a "point & shoot" scenario in a car!

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There is a new modern highway between Delhi and Agra now ... Which actually makes it MORE dangerous as people can drive faster than the maintenance of their car/tires can handle...

18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Thanks for sharing, definitely a photography haven.

19. Surely part of the reason for travelling outside of the First World.

20. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Great Shots from both of you.
    Does bring out the India from a street perspective. Can't call it the "Real" India because now, more than before, India is much more diverse than we can imagine.

Phil, loved the photos of the old Ambassador cars