Photos from Asheville

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Djarum, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    These are some photos from downtown Asheville. I won't saying anything about any of them except the very last one. It is probably my favorite. Don't know why, either. If you look close enough, you can see someone. I won't say who it is:wink:

Comments are always welcome. Some minor PP has been done.

graffiti.JPG

chase.JPG

arch.JPG

b_w.JPG

alley.JPG

reflection1.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    It looks like there's a man with a camera reflected in the windows :cool:. Does the next to last one more truely reflect the nature of the area, and if so is that what's meant by "downtown". In the UK I might call it seedy or rundown :smile:.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Well, downtown Asheville is fairly touristy and there is lots of business going on too. Courthouse, banks, businesses and tons of shops. In saying that, the picture was just a back alley. For the most part, I didn't feel that the area was rundown. However, there were a few homeless/bums that I did see. Not many. Nashville I think is a little more eclectic in that regards. There are beggars, guitar players, and preachers all on the same street where many tourists shop and dine.

In regards to that shot, It was just an interesting shot to me. I liked the colors.

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Jason, thanks so much for these. I've always wanted to visit Asheville and for the record, it's a very upscale kind of place but as every town or city has their "other side", so does this one. Asheville: Explore Asheville, NC | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

I can see why you took that Biltmore reflection shot, and there may be even more to it than I know due to the Biltmore connection that's so big in Asheville. My two favorites are your first two. I know a thread somewhere across the hall that is crying out for them.:wink: That cat on the wall one - the second - with the barking dog background on a separate building is just great.:thumbup:

5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hmmm, two nations separated by language :biggrin:, but then I don't understand cities these days, very much a rural lad.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    BBW,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not a cat person, but I thought this was such a great image with the mural/grafitti in the background.

Asheville, all over, has free standing art all over, such as these cats.

I find it interesting that Asheville has half the population than where I live, Huntsville, Alabama. Yet, there is ten times more to do.

I never actually made it down to the Biltmore Estate. The tour is long and its a little pricey. I honestly could spend weeks in western North Carolina. My father is from Greensboro and he graduated from Appalachian state in Boone. I've actually been to Tweetsie Railroad as a kid, and to my suprise, it is still in business.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Love Asheville

I live in Charlotte, but if I would ever move it would be to Asheville. I have some photos I will share in the future, but my computer is being repaired at the moment. About two weeks ago I was near the Pack Square, when a young woman hopped up on a brass pig (scupture). I asked her to hold it for a minute and I took a picture and then a few more. When we were done, I thanked her and she asked my name. I gave her a card. Then she smiled and asked for a hug. I hung back, and then she said it was free. Well that didn't make any difference to me. I did give her a big hug, and I thought it was a little strange. Two people meeting over a brass pig. One a woman in her early 20's giving a 70 year old a big hug. As I walked away, I thought to my self, we all need a free hug.

I do like your pictures and as a cat person, I think the cat ones are just perfect.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

8. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Nice story Charles.
    I had a look at some of your wonderful images on your site.
    Beautiful colours and clarity in your landscape series - I'll have to pop back for more when I have some more time.

Nice series from the OP too!