1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photomatix Pro on MBA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cvwood, Nov 12, 2011.

1. cvwood

cvwood Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Is anyone using Photomatix Pro on a MacBook Air and, if so, what is the user experience like (speed, usability, etc.)?

I'm considering upgrading my post-processing machine from an older Dell laptop, but would like something light and portable, like the MBA (the current laptop is an older Dell D800).

Discuss amongst yourselves..........

2. ltphoto

ltphoto New to Mu-43

Oct 18, 2011
    Sandy, UT
    I don't have Photomatix, but I do have a MBA. This is my first Mac, and it is an awesome machine. You will find it much faster than your older Dell laptop. I run Lightroom on it with no problems. Mine is the 13" with 4GB RAM.

For real post-processing you still need a desktop with a calibrated display. But for quick field work, the MBA is the best solution I have ever found.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The current crop of MacBook Airs are very capable machines, and will run pretty much any photo editing software you would care to mention. Yes, it's much slower than my MacPro, but it also doesn't run 6 cores, have idiotic quantities of RAM, and cost four times as much.

The SSD helps the 'snappy' feel, and the i7 dual core (low voltage, but still) can handle the number crunching just fine. I run Photoshop CS5 and DxO Optics Pro (which is great software, but a dog in terms of speed) without trouble on the MBA when I'm on the road. I would recommend getting a good IPS monitor and calibration system if you're going to be printing anything ever.