1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Photokina: what has been great for You?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by JoFT, Sep 26, 2016.

1. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Photokina 2016 is over.

It would be interesting to know what was exciting for You.

My very interesting findings were
    • The excellent and cheap Meike 50mm f2.0 µ43 lens for 80Euro
    • The 7.5mm f2.0 from Laowa
    • Shooting the 300mmf4 Pro from Oly as well as
    • The PanaLeica 100-400.
    More You find under> Photokina 2016

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

That new Fuji MF camera looks interesting. I have to admit, that new Hasselblad X1D has given me some terrible MF GAS. I keep thinking about how much fun I had with my Yashica Mat.

3. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    What Do You mean with MF GAS?

4. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

"Medium Format symptoms of 'Get Another System' "

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Gearhead Lexicon:

GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome

MF = Medium Format

MFT = Medium Format, but Tiny

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

TBH, all the announcements have helped me better appreciate what we already had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I liked the 7.5mm f2 announcement, and the G85 is pretty compelling, I could see myself owning one down the road when it's cheaper.

I don't really want or need much right at the moment, which surprises me to say. Maybe a 15mm f1.7... hahah.

8. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I totally understand being infected as well ;-)

9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    E-m1 AF spec and dual quad-core processors. Gives me hope that e-m1 will be a C-AF and tracking monster which is what I care most about.

10. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I sampled a lot of different stuff; what really struck my was how much nicer the Olympus cameras felt in the hand than the almighty Fujifilm X-Pro2; in spite of its size, if felt almost toyish - the E-M5 II I tried the 12-100mm f/4 on felt *way* better in the hand. But that was a sideshow to me because of a couple of other stuff I found very satisfying:
    • The E-M1 II is shaping up to be one fantastic camera - I'm sure of it. It's a bit over the top for me, though - but it's still possible I might cave in and sell most of my :mu43: bodies and even the Nikon D5500 and all APS-C lenses to get it (I'd only keep the GX80 around - it's the best travel companion I have).
    • Trying the Nikon D500 - what a beast! It may be the same size as the D750, but it's a totally different type of camera. Probably not for me, but one for all sports fanatics (and people who want the top performing APS-C body).
    • Holding and trying the Hasselblad X1D - not for me (it's a bit too sedate for my liking), but very, very handsome and fantastic build quality - let alone possible IQ. An enthusiast's camera for sure - and an impressively compact pro tool as well.
    • Seeing the Fujifilm GFX 50S (didn't have the patience to wait for one to handle) with its 63mm f/2.8mm standard lens - that's a camera I'll have to prevent myself from ever wanting; don't know how, really ...
    • Lenses, lenses, lenses - the Tamron 35mm f/1.8 (which I compared directly to my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art - they feel very similar, but the Tamron gives the bigger stablemate, the 35mm f/1.4, a run for its money), the Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 (very nice), 12-28mm f/4 (solid), the 24-70mm f/2.8 (a bit underwhelming in terms of build quality), the Laowa 7.5mm (very promising - a probable buy for me), and of course, the Olympus 12-100mm f/4 that made a very favourable impression. I'm in no hurry to get one, though - because the most intriguing lens I could spot for me was the Panasonic 12-60mm that was marked as "under development". The 12-100mm f/4 may be a do-it-all, but for its size, the 12-60mm PanaLeica might beat it for me (that - and the 12-40mm f/2.8 is still a great lens that made shooting on the show floor enjoyable once more).
    • Oh, and I was able to actually handle a Zeiss Ikon RF camera (I was trying a Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar on int) - I'd buy one tomorrow if the started making them again; it's no wonder you can't get them on the used market, they're just too good to let go ...
    Sorry for the ramblings - I really liked a lot of stuff (and I could go on about accessories I tried for some time ...).

M.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Would have been great to meet there....
    Thanks for the detailed findings.... Lenses, lenses, lenses: I had 25 different lenses on my 2 bodies, the majority on FF, but a great experience....

With the EM1-II it is interesting: let´s wait for the 7DIII... It should come next year, too....

For me Tamron was very interesting, too. But it left some very mixed feelings: The first dopy of the 85mm f1.8 was great, but the 2nd lens I had did not focus as exact as the first one. The 45mm was disappointing but the 35 was great as well....

12. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    @JoFT@JoFT I actually did propose a meet - but I think it was over at SeriousCompacts (then PhotographersLounge) ... sorry about that. Still, those two days were a lot of fun. I must say that I'm actually considering the E-M1 II - it's hardly any bigger than the Nikon D5500 I'm very comfortable with carrying around all day, but nevertheless, it is going to be a *serious* powerhouse of a camera. I would probably let go of the E-M10, E-PL7, D5500 and a whole bucketload of lenses for that one - but let's first see how it performs in the real world ... However, to be honest, I'm really quite happy with what I have (the E-M10 and D5500 performed great throughout the whole trip again), so I'll need a lot of convincing.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    I too will be seriously considering offloading some lenses and my existing setup to buy one--although I still love my E-M10 enough to keep it regardless. But I'm going to wait a year before plunging. What I have will allow me to take all the pictures I need and more, and I think some folks forget that when GAS hits them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'll be waiting to see how the E-M1 performs against the X-T2. The way I see it, I have 3 options:
    • Keep my current gear (2x E-M1, 1x GH4, and every m43 lens I could dream of)
    • Sell an E-M1 & GH4 for an E-M1 II (4K video, finally), with the goal of picking up a second E-M1 II down the road
    • Sell my MFT gear and get a Fuji X-T2. All reports say it's the best mirrorless camera at tracking, and does very very well. Great Fuji colors, great lenses, 24MP APS-C sensor
    Fortunately I'm in no hurry to do anything, so I'll wait for actual reports to come out and make a decision on what to do at that point.

15. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    The Olympus 25mm/f1.2 PRO is the biggest deal for me. My Voigtlander 25mm/f0.95 is probably my favorite current lens, but my Panasonic 42.5mm/f1.2 still yields the best objective results for me. Thinking this will be a fusion.

16. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    What is needed to cure GAS is the desmodromic shutter. If we can't have this there is no use in buying another camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The E-M1 II blew me away with the specifications. Just really, really, really impressive.

The G85 struck me as an incredible value for money, with very few complaints to make about it aside from Panasonic's historic and irritating stubbornness to do anything useful with their Auto ISO system.

The 25mm/1.2 looks to have insane image quality, but the price and size is just too much for me.

The Laowa 7.5/f2 is a whole bunch of tiny awesome. Can't wait to see what they price it at, hope it's affordable. Love it.

I was psyched to see the Fuji GFX thinking that it would resemble something like the form factor of the Hasselblad X1D. But the Hassy is just so much smaller. The Fuji is just like a big old full-frame DSLR. And when I think about using the GFX vs a D810, it's really hard for me to see huge benefits one way or another, nor any particular inclination to use either. So that was good, I guess. Killed any GAS I might have had in that direction (well, any pretension of GAS, which is clearly wildly impractical).

Honestly, in my mind, MFT was the clear star of the show. Panasonic and Olympus showed a real vision for a range of new products that will actually be useful for a lot of people, and clearly move the bar forward in serious and important ways. The A99 II is nice if you're one of the few remaining serious A-mount users, and the GFX is nice to ooh and ahh over (until you come back to earth and realize they might sell a few thousand of them a year, and you aren't going to be one of those people).

• Agree Agree x 1