1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Photokina rumors

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flatop222, Apr 7, 2010.

1. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Newbie here - been lurking for awhile.

I have been a long time Nikon analog user (SP ca. '58, F, F3) and I have used a Minolta A1 but the sensor died and apparently cannot be repaired.

At my age (71) I will probably only buy one more camera . I am seriously considering the pen EPx series of cameras and am wondering when we can expect reliable photokina rumors to start appearing. I want my last camera to be the latest technology I can afford.

George

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi George, and welcome sir, to our forum. :friends:

I suspect that if you're looking for the latest & best value technology, the G1 and the E-P1 may both be worth a look... they are both very solid examples of the best that m4/3rds can offer, and being only recently discontinued may be available at a bargain price.

If you're wishing to wait... there's a narrow chance that Olympus will have their highest spec m4/3rds camera for release, but I wouldn't waste any time when you could be enjoying every day with a camera in your hands!

Kind Regards

Brian

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i own the ep1 and gf 1 and consider both fine machines technology wise i think the difference between the ep1 and ep2 is virtually nonexistant

the ep1 and gf1 also take to adapted slr lenses and rangefinder lenses really well in a magnified view manual focus mode in aperture priority mode or manual ,

i rediscovered the joy and precision of manually focusing wonderful metal prime lenses, old and new, due to these cameras , but still use af too when im in a hurry

the ep1 is a great bargain right now and a surperbly crafted old school design with a great digital sensor, it really feels good in the hand,imho

whatever you get , enjoy and welcome to the forum ,lots of great info about making the most of micro four thirds is here

cheers

4. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Another SP, F, and F3 user. Welcome aboard.

There is an adapter to use the S-Mount lenses with the micro-4/3rds format cameras, and a different adapter for the F-Mount.

Have not been following Photokina rumors.

The one disadvantage of the EP1 is the lack of a provision for an electronic viewfinder. The EP2 and E-PL1 offer that advantage, useful for manual focus lenses.

5. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Hey Flattop;

My Dad is 83 and he says he's on his last woman. I have good reason to not believe him.

I don't believe you are on your last camera either, sir.

Keep yer pecker up, and have fun here.

Bokeh Diem

6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    lol , hope im as blessed as your dad is when im that age, if i even make it

cheers , i agree that flatop will have many cameras in to the future , micro 4\3 is like that!

flatop, read the article on the epL1 that a poster mentioned at steve huff photo the link is in a nearby thread ,
    it sounds amazing , and it suggesst that the next higher end olympus offering will be quite a formidable machine, why not get a used ep1,now and something down the road in 6 months or so , sell the ep1 or keep it as a backup .... just a suggestion
    dont wait........ shoot now

cheers

7. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks for the welcome and suggestions and ideas to think about.

Because of my eyesight, I prefer a camera with an EVF. However, I would also like to have IBIS so that I can try to hand hold some of my Nikkors. And while we are at it, I also like the dust buster on the m4/3 cameras. I have 10 thumbs, the 2 dominant ones becoming very arthritic, so I think my requirements put me in the Olympus EP2 or EPL1 camp.

cosinaphile - still shooting with my daughter's S70 and if she needs it I can still temporarily go back to my F3. My present shooting style (a few pictures at a time) lends itself much better to digital, hence the interest in IQ in a small package.

Bokeh Diem - you're Dad is an inspiration to all of us who are beginning to feel the ravages of age and a mis-spent youth.

George

8. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I also live it Toronto and..I also am 83+ .. as for women, my wife of 46 years passed on 13 years ago and I have no desire nor inclination to become involved with another woman because, no one could be better than she was. Now on to the main topic, if you are buying a new camera the E-P2 is the answer right now however very soon the E-PL1 will be released in Canada and you should have a look at it.

For those who are unfamiliar with your last remark..in England it is meant "keep your spirits up"!

9. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Update - for those interested.

I have been reading the PDF owners manuals for the EP2 and EPL1 and believe, at this time, the EP2 is the camera for me, only because it has a level indicater. My horizons tilt to the left when I don't have visual help.

I was not able to determine if either camera has a distance scale when used in manual mode. Does anyone have that information?

When I try to read the long winded reviews on the web, I lose interest very quickly, so I usually just check the size of the cameras and the conclusions. I am sure I miss a lot of useful information this way. That's why these forums (fora?) and the willingness of others to help are so valuable to me. Thank you all.

George

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello George, I find the electronic levels invaluable... unfortunately, none of the m4/3rds offerings currently has a distance scale - although if you're using 4/3rds legacy lenses such as the ZD 11-22 or ZD 50mm f2 macro there are distance scales on those lenses.

Cheers

Brian

11. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    George.....funny....my horizons tilt to the right......Coriolis Effect?

I have the E-P2 and love it.....but don't use the level tool much. I PP in LR and the crop tool there is awesome for straightening out tilted horizons.

Oh....and I believe it's fori :smile:

R

12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I always wonder what effect rotating an image has on the sharp detail... prefer to use the levels and get it right at time of capture - not always possible but usually is.

Cheers

Brian

13. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Interesting comment, Brian. That issue never enterd my mind (my wife doubts there is anything entering my mind).

I worry more about how much of my subject matter I might lose when I rotate and crop. Over the years I have had to learn to be a little generous around the edges to avoid serious loss of subject matter.

George

14. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, the Sony announcement(s) have convinced me to keep waiting for Olympus and Photokina. However, it looks like Sony could add a small EVF/flash module to the top of the NEX and still maintain a reasonably compact camera body. But the lenses look like they will be quite large and therefore defeat the idea of compactness(?). Just my observations. YMMV.

George