1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Photokina Rumor: Black Versions of 45mm f1.8 and 12mm f2.0 Lenses

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Phillip Swanson, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Phillip Swanson

Phillip Swanson News Writer

Jun 15, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

According to the latest round of rumors repurposed Olympus lenses will be making an appearance at Photokina in September.

The new lenses will be identical to the current Olympus 45mm f1.8 and the 12mm f2.0 offeringsexcept they will come in black. Many shooters have expressed their interest in a black version of the popular Olympus lenses and if the rumor is Olympus has been listening. While I’m not one to fret over matching lenses and cameras, perhaps shooting is more a fashion statement for some. Although, the black lenses do add a stealth factor many compact and m43 shooters enjoy compared to larger DSLR shooters.

Even shooting with my GH2 I get less awkward looks in public especially if I’m using my 20mm Panasonic. But, portability, and stealth can be as much a matter of convenience as it can be safety. A friend of mine is in the middle of a 3-month journey across Europe and he asked what camera to buy before embarking on his journey. I recommended the GF3 because of its size, image quality and ability to be inconspicuous. If it weren’t for an overzealous night in Amsterdam he’d probably still be have the camera.

Perhaps the crowning example of the m43 system and its ability to go where other camera systems just can’t is Andy Portch’s coverage of the Tibetan unrest in Western China. If you haven’t seen his work, it is truly impressive.

Source: 43rumors [via Digicame]

• Like Like x 5
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Yay!! Glad I sold my silver one!!! I'm still gonna wait for a 1.4 portrait lens though.

typed on my phone, sorry.

3. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    The more options the better but I'm quite happy with my lenses in sliver. One of the things I like most about shooting Olympus M43 is how unique the system looks. When I shoot portraits the looks become a fun part of the conversation which helps everyone relax and get into the shoot.

4. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Awesome, I've got about $350 that will take a silver 12mm f/2 off anyone's hands looking to get a black lens :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Meh...I couldn't care less what colour my lens is. Whatever's in stock is the one I pick.

• Like Like x 1
  6. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    This link has to read. After seeing it, lens color is no longer a concern.

7. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    +1

Excellent story. I thank the OP for providing the link.

8. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    I agree! Amazing what can be done with such small cameras, but also a really professional pice of journalism, the camera performs well!

9. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I much prefer black. Silver look so ostentatious to me, and knowing it's a silver spray on top of plastic just makes it more so. Black calls much less attention. And tends to hold up to wear better.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I agree!

11. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    does anyone know when the black versions are going to be available?

12. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    The 12mm is metal with silver paint, but I believe the underlying metal is a silverish color too. The 45mm is plastic, but is the silver baked into the plastic or is it painted on? I doubt either lens in black would hold up any better (probably worse on the 12mm since chipped off black paint would reveal the silverish metal underneath), but regardless it's nice to have options for people who are allergic to silver.

13. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Yohan, you missed my point in your rush to be insulting. I'd repeat it for you, but you've already quoted the relevant bits.

14. Yohan Pamudji

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Interesting that you took offense from what I said. None was intended. You don't like silver? Entirely your right. Just making the point that silver might not show wear as readily as you might think. If that's offensive then so be it.

15. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I saw nothing insulting in your post??

16. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I bought the 12mm lens a couple of months ago and if I had known it was coming out in black I would have waited. the silver on the 12mm doesn't match my silver GX1, which makes my set up look kinda off (the silver on the GX1 does match my silver Panny lens). Panny's silver is much darker and almost grey in color.

Aside from the color, I like everything about the 12mm lens...

17. Yohan Pamudji

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    To be fair Olympus's various shades of silver don't even match its own cameras. The 45mm is a blue-ish silver while the 12mm is more a champagne silver. The 12mm matches the silver E-P3 while the 45mm matches the silver E-M5 (E-P3 and E-M5 have different hues of silver). Get it together, guys :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
  19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    So far it's just a rumor.

Fred

20. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I always thought this was strange...I very much dislike that champagne-hue...although the 12 doesn't interest me anyway.