1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photokina Predictions and Rumors: Olympus

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As a follow up to our Panasonic rumor round-up and predictions, here are some collected rumors and and a healthy dose of speculation about what we may see from Olympus.

We can expect to see two new Pen bodies announced in association with Photokina, most likely an E-PL5 and E-PM2 (R1). Our sources say that both of these cameras will use the E-M5 sensor while neither will use the E-M5 image stabilization system (R2). Otherwise, few changes are expected to these cameras other than revised ergonomics (1).

We do not expect a replacement for the E-P3 at this time. I'm told that another OM-D camera is expected at the end of 2012 or early 2013, will not be announced with the new Pens, and will not replace the E-M5 (R3).

I've gotten mixed reports about Olympus lenses. 43 Rumors reported that a tiny 15mm f/8 prime will be announced and possibly bundled with the new E-PM body (2). As previously reported, one source indicated that we would see black versions of the 12 and 45mm primes along with an inexpensive 25mm f/1.8 from Olympus and a a premium 12-60mm f/2.8-4 zoom. I haven't gotten any further confirmation of those rumors, so the likelihood of seeing those next month seems low. A different source tells me that we will see the 60mm macro, a new kit zoom, and learn that a supertelephoto prime is in development (R4).

My expectations for the September Olympus announcements:

-New E-PM2 and E-PL5 which are similar to the E-PM1 and E-PL3 but with small integrated grips and the E-M5 sensor

-Availability of 60mm macro, super cheap and tiny 15mm f/8 lens, and announcement of premium 12-60mm zoom in development.

I also expect that we'll learn more about a new regular (non-Micro) 4/3 body in development (3).

Rumor Grades: R1:B; R2, R3: B-; R4: C.

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible

References:
    1) (FT3) No spectacular changes on new PEN cameras? | 43 Rumors
    2) (FT3) New 15mm comes combined with new E-PMx model… | 43 Rumors
    3) Akira Watanabe: “Olympus working on new body for top-pro lenses”!!! | 43 Rumors

• Like Like x 4
  2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think anything cheaper than OM-D with same sensor will be huge and will sell like hotcakes :)  Would they really put the same sensor into a GF5 competitor like EPM though?? that would be a baffling move IMHO. not that I would mind.

3. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I REALLY really would love to see a 25mm f/1.8 (pancake style ;)  )

Also another body to compliment my E-M5.

As for the 12-60... wonder if it would be something to get in replacement for my recent 12-35... Time will tell...

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    25mm f1.8 pancake size, O12/O45 IQ and AF speed and im in.
    EPM2 with EM5 sensor...sounds interesting, at what price though...

5. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    This makes me sad. Very sad. I was especially excited about the possibility of the 25/1.8.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's what I'm hearing. I expect them to continue to sell E-PM1 at very low prices after E-PM2 comes in with the newer sensor. We still see the E-PL1 and E-PL2 selling strongly.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Any accompanying rumors to the one about a possible new OM-D body? Sensor and video upgrades?

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Only that it will be the flagship (same relationship to E-M5 as GH3 to G5) and that it isn't expected to be available any time soon.

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. I am thinking of adding a GH3 but now it looks there will be a decision to be made.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I expect GH3 announced in September and available a few months later. Any flagship OM-D is unlikely to come until at least a few months after that.

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Anyone else grieving a bit for the not-to-be-updated E-P3? :crying:

I think it is such a classic camera.

Love the idea of the updated sensor and a bonus for the improved IBIS, if they can somehow cram that in. Would really like to see a built-in flash, not a clip on that I never carry with me.

Maybe I will have to get a GX1 and give up my possible irrational fear of a body without IS.... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Don't forget these are only rumors, and we don't know until we know!

My ideal camera though - the one I would trade my E-M5 for - would be an E-P3 with the new IBIS and sensor from the the E-M5. The EP3 is better looking, feels better in the hand, and has a better (lighter) weight to me. Funny thing is that when I use the E-M5, I almost always use the EVF, but when I used the E-P3, I didn't miss having an EVF at all.

I know what you mean about fear of body without IS though. I love my GX1, but IS is like a security blanket that I don't like to go without. The GX1 is so perfect for the P14, which is wide enough that I don't miss the IS.

• Like Like x 1
  13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    In a way, I am glad there are no rumors for more new products. In a sense this would mean that Olympus is overeaching. As things are today, their :43: are all over the place, and somewhat confusing for casual, potential buyers.

I'm not sure if the right move would be a E-P3 successor with E-M5 internals, minus a few features (e.g. light alloy body) vs a lower-key E-Mxx camera. In other words a high end Pen vs a low end OM. The former would be a GX2 adversary, the latter a G5 competitor. As for the high-end body, I'm not currently suffering from GAS about such a thing. I prefer they take their time and offer something truly spectacular in mid 2013, than try to chase Panasonic. From a photographers standpoint (meaning, no video considerations), I doubt the GH3 will offer significant IQ and performance advancements over the OM-D. Except if it has a Sony sensor, of course. :tongue::tongue:

As for lenses, it's time they come out in the open about their timeline. Olympus and :43: users need to have a clear vision of their investment in the system. They need to present a plan as to when they estimate to have new fast primes (a 17mm replacement comes to mind, certainly the 25mm), high end zooms like the 12-60 and possible Four Thirds ports. Both the 75mm and the 60mm macro were announced months prior to release, I hope they repeat that and make things clearer.

I sincerely hope rumors about a new FT body to be incorrect. This will come as a major disappointment to me.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Why, because it would be a strain on Olympus' resources?

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, I would love to see Olympus come out with high-end 17 or 17.5 and 25mm primes with the same build as the 12 and 75mm. Not only are high end zooms like the 12 - 60 needed but I hope that Olympus will eventually bring out high-end lens(es) in the long focal lengths as well (100+). I would be happy if they introduced 2 - 3 high end lenses every year. I did read the rumor about the new FT/E5 replacement coming out. What is troubling is that the rumored timing for the new FT/E7 is the same timing as what Amin is reporting for the new flagship OMD camera/body. Amin, I wonder if we can get clarification that the new OMD camera/body is a m43's and not a rebranded FT's camera as an OMD?

16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    One part is this. Most people theorize that a FT body is "easy money" for Olympus: just put the internals of the E-M5 into a E-5 type body, right? Unfortunately, there are other resources to consider, such as marketing, advertising, product support and the plain cost of supporting another production line.

Second, I don't think the revenues from such an act would be substantial, in fact, there is a possibility they will actually loose money going that way. There is simply no market for new FT customers. A FT camera would sell 99% to existing FT users... which are not such a huge population now, are they.

Third, Olympus has to declare their commitment to :43: being their future in the most emphatic way. And this means finally polling the plug on a system format currently in coma. They have to stop sending mixed signals as they do 2 years now.

It's getting tiresome repeating this, but a type of translucent mirror adapter for :43: bodies would be the best service for existing FT customers. It would also sell to a portion of the existing :43: customer base, since it would allow use of high quality FT glass, with high IQ bodies at a logical cost.

17. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I passed on the über-expensive Pany 12-35 in hopes the rumored Oly 12-60 would come true. Please, please! :crying:

18. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    If the Olympus 25 is a pancake, I would likely trade down for it.

The size difference would be worth it.

19. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'd like to upgrade my E-PM1 to one with the E-M5 sensor... :biggrin:
    Also the minimalistic lens sounds interesting - if the price is right. I'm really looking forward to these announcements.

20. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    still no plan to improve the 17mm? :frown:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.