Photokina Predictions and Rumors: Olympus

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As a follow up to our Panasonic rumor round-up and predictions, here are some collected rumors and and a healthy dose of speculation about what we may see from Olympus.

We can expect to see two new Pen bodies announced in association with Photokina, most likely an E-PL5 and E-PM2 (R1). Our sources say that both of these cameras will use the E-M5 sensor while neither will use the E-M5 image stabilization system (R2). Otherwise, few changes are expected to these cameras other than revised ergonomics (1).

We do not expect a replacement for the E-P3 at this time. I'm told that another OM-D camera is expected at the end of 2012 or early 2013, will not be announced with the new Pens, and will not replace the E-M5 (R3).

I've gotten mixed reports about Olympus lenses. 43 Rumors reported that a tiny 15mm f/8 prime will be announced and possibly bundled with the new E-PM body (2). As previously reported, one source indicated that we would see black versions of the 12 and 45mm primes along with an inexpensive 25mm f/1.8 from Olympus and a a premium 12-60mm f/2.8-4 zoom. I haven't gotten any further confirmation of those rumors, so the likelihood of seeing those next month seems low. A different source tells me that we will see the 60mm macro, a new kit zoom, and learn that a supertelephoto prime is in development (R4).

My expectations for the September Olympus announcements:

-New E-PM2 and E-PL5 which are similar to the E-PM1 and E-PL3 but with small integrated grips and the E-M5 sensor

-Availability of 60mm macro, super cheap and tiny 15mm f/8 lens, and announcement of premium 12-60mm zoom in development.

I also expect that we'll learn more about a new regular (non-Micro) 4/3 body in development (3).

Rumor Grades: R1:B; R2, R3: B-; R4: C.

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible

References:
    1) (FT3) No spectacular changes on new PEN cameras? | 43 Rumors
    2) (FT3) New 15mm comes combined with new E-PMx model… | 43 Rumors
    3) Akira Watanabe: “Olympus working on new body for top-pro lenses”!!! | 43 Rumors

• Like Like x 4
  2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think anything cheaper than OM-D with same sensor will be huge and will sell like hotcakes :) Would they really put the same sensor into a GF5 competitor like EPM though?? that would be a baffling move IMHO. not that I would mind.

3. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I REALLY really would love to see a 25mm f/1.8 (pancake style ;) )

Also another body to compliment my E-M5.

As for the 12-60... wonder if it would be something to get in replacement for my recent 12-35... Time will tell...

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    25mm f1.8 pancake size, O12/O45 IQ and AF speed and im in.
    EPM2 with EM5 sensor...sounds interesting, at what price though...

5. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    This makes me sad. Very sad. I was especially excited about the possibility of the 25/1.8.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's what I'm hearing. I expect them to continue to sell E-PM1 at very low prices after E-PM2 comes in with the newer sensor. We still see the E-PL1 and E-PL2 selling strongly.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Any accompanying rumors to the one about a possible new OM-D body? Sensor and video upgrades?

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Only that it will be the flagship (same relationship to E-M5 as GH3 to G5) and that it isn't expected to be available any time soon.

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. I am thinking of adding a GH3 but now it looks there will be a decision to be made.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I expect GH3 announced in September and available a few months later. Any flagship OM-D is unlikely to come until at least a few months after that.

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Anyone else grieving a bit for the not-to-be-updated E-P3? :crying:

I think it is such a classic camera.

Love the idea of the updated sensor and a bonus for the improved IBIS, if they can somehow cram that in. Would really like to see a built-in flash, not a clip on that I never carry with me.

Maybe I will have to get a GX1 and give up my possible irrational fear of a body without IS.... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Don't forget these are only rumors, and we don't know until we know!

My ideal camera though - the one I would trade my E-M5 for - would be an E-P3 with the new IBIS and sensor from the the E-M5. The EP3 is better looking, feels better in the hand, and has a better (lighter) weight to me. Funny thing is that when I use the E-M5, I almost always use the EVF, but when I used the E-P3, I didn't miss having an EVF at all.

I know what you mean about fear of body without IS though. I love my GX1, but IS is like a security blanket that I don't like to go without. The GX1 is so perfect for the P14, which is wide enough that I don't miss the IS.

• Like Like x 1
  13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    In a way, I am glad there are no rumors for more new products. In a sense this would mean that Olympus is overeaching. As things are today, their :43: are all over the place, and somewhat confusing for casual, potential buyers.

I'm not sure if the right move would be a E-P3 successor with E-M5 internals, minus a few features (e.g. light alloy body) vs a lower-key E-Mxx camera. In other words a high end Pen vs a low end OM. The former would be a GX2 adversary, the latter a G5 competitor. As for the high-end body, I'm not currently suffering from GAS about such a thing. I prefer they take their time and offer something truly spectacular in mid 2013, than try to chase Panasonic. From a photographers standpoint (meaning, no video considerations), I doubt the GH3 will offer significant IQ and performance advancements over the OM-D. Except if it has a Sony sensor, of course. :tongue::tongue:

As for lenses, it's time they come out in the open about their timeline. Olympus and :43: users need to have a clear vision of their investment in the system. They need to present a plan as to when they estimate to have new fast primes (a 17mm replacement comes to mind, certainly the 25mm), high end zooms like the 12-60 and possible Four Thirds ports. Both the 75mm and the 60mm macro were announced months prior to release, I hope they repeat that and make things clearer.

I sincerely hope rumors about a new FT body to be incorrect. This will come as a major disappointment to me.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Why, because it would be a strain on Olympus' resources?

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, I would love to see Olympus come out with high-end 17 or 17.5 and 25mm primes with the same build as the 12 and 75mm. Not only are high end zooms like the 12 - 60 needed but I hope that Olympus will eventually bring out high-end lens(es) in the long focal lengths as well (100+). I would be happy if they introduced 2 - 3 high end lenses every year. I did read the rumor about the new FT/E5 replacement coming out. What is troubling is that the rumored timing for the new FT/E7 is the same timing as what Amin is reporting for the new flagship OMD camera/body. Amin, I wonder if we can get clarification that the new OMD camera/body is a m43's and not a rebranded FT's camera as an OMD?

16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    One part is this. Most people theorize that a FT body is "easy money" for Olympus: just put the internals of the E-M5 into a E-5 type body, right? Unfortunately, there are other resources to consider, such as marketing, advertising, product support and the plain cost of supporting another production line.

Second, I don't think the revenues from such an act would be substantial, in fact, there is a possibility they will actually loose money going that way. There is simply no market for new FT customers. A FT camera would sell 99% to existing FT users... which are not such a huge population now, are they.

Third, Olympus has to declare their commitment to :43: being their future in the most emphatic way. And this means finally polling the plug on a system format currently in coma. They have to stop sending mixed signals as they do 2 years now.

It's getting tiresome repeating this, but a type of translucent mirror adapter for :43: bodies would be the best service for existing FT customers. It would also sell to a portion of the existing :43: customer base, since it would allow use of high quality FT glass, with high IQ bodies at a logical cost.

17. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I passed on the über-expensive Pany 12-35 in hopes the rumored Oly 12-60 would come true. Please, please! :crying:

18. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    If the Olympus 25 is a pancake, I would likely trade down for it.

The size difference would be worth it.

19. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'd like to upgrade my E-PM1 to one with the E-M5 sensor... :biggrin:
    Also the minimalistic lens sounds interesting - if the price is right. I'm really looking forward to these announcements.

20. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    still no plan to improve the 17mm? :frown: