Photokina "hangover"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Herman, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    This Photokina did niet bring my expectations come true.
    No weather sealed MFT, no GF2, no PEN3, no MFT alikes from Nikon and Canon.

My winner is the Fujifilm X100 !:2thumbs:

CC welcome, thanks in advance.

2. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Herman,

I'm sitting in deepest Bavaria, hanging on a really slow USB stick - and I'm happy.....

No burning feet, no plastic bags full of catalogues of cameras which I never would buy.......except the X1 + 99..... wait....

should I buy two of them? one preset Fuji Acros and the second with Velvia?...

BTW: there is no information about the shutter. Is it a leaf type or focal plane?

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Herman, you are not happy with the 3D stuff?
    - I am happy with K-m (focus assist beam, improved LCD, not 4x AA only, interval functionality), cheap 35 mm F2.4 and announcement of Pentax that there will be no FF camera (--> more focus on APC-s)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I expected at leat one weathersealed mft camera.
    Okay, I too expected a Sony 3D camera.
    Joep, you must be very happy, the Pentax news was wonderful.
    Have you ordered the new Pentax or are you looking for the K-x?

5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Are you drinking beer at the Bavaria brewery?:rolleyes:

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    And here I was wondering what German spirits they were giving out at the show. Never mind.
    Even though there was no GF2, with the introduction of the GH2 Panasonic really seem to be going the sensible slow and steady route without really disappointing anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    So far the GH2 is all I had hoped for, so I'm happy :biggrin:. I'm really waiting for a faster/better alternative for the Panasonic 45-200mm, but that doesn't seem to be in the works right now. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  8. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Sigh... At least Panny 14/2.5 did appear.

I think Sigma SD1 can be very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm happy about the GH2, looks like all I ever need - of course, I had said the same thing about the GH1...

I missed hearing more on this one here: EOSHD.com - Nikon ultra small mirrorless specs revealed in patent, YouTube goes 4K - and on somethng from Canon.

The Fuji looks great but would have excited me much more with interchangeable lenses.

Another positive surprise to me is the not completely insane price for the Panny 100-300mm, looks like they gave up on the HD concept for that one which will hopefully bring it down into affordable rangs in a year or so...

Stefan

• Like Like x 1
  10. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have the same feeling. I was most excited about the X100, followed by the Sigma RD1. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that for me the m4/3 format will be limited to my experimental photography in using odd lenses. I'm likely going to get the X100 when it comes out, then I'm looking at possibly a FF camera like the D700 or the 5D2, possibly the Sigma once the reviews come out so I can see what it looks like. Also considering the D7000, but I'm not sold on it just yet. I may or may not get the GH2 at this point.

So basically I'm in a holding pattern for these new cameras until I see some more production representative results.

• Like Like x 1
  11. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    What about traveling? One of the reasons I got into :43: is next time I travel far I could bring a Pen instead of Canon 40d and get something like 9-18, that's not available for X100.

• Like Like x 1
  12. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I don't travel all that much, and when I do I still take my film camera along (either my 35mm or my Mamiya C330/RB67), so size isn't much of an issue for me. The appeal of the size reduction was never a main consideration for me getting into this format - the adaptability of the system was, along with the tilt LCD. When I do need a compact, I'm sure I'll manage nicely with the X100. To me I either travel light, meaning no extra lenses (advantage X100), or I plan to take along my heavier gear for the higher quality shots. I was hoping the GH1 could take up the role for the 'heavier' gear, but while I'm very happy with it I get the feeling I've outgrown its capability.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Disappointed not to see a GF2, but at the same time, makes me feel my GF1 hasn't been totally outdated yet =)

GH2 was a bit disappointing. Then again, I was waiting to hear on some revolutionary new processor which would give a notable improvement in ISO noise and dynamic range =) Given no hoopla on it, I'm going to guess it'll be another marginal step forward.. maybe.

Big winner for me is the X100. Panasonic is lucky fuji has taken this long to get here, or else my money would have landed w/ fuji. I'm not switching cameras, but it sure is a temptingly beautiful piece of hardware (at least, looks that way).

My real biggest disappointment was no 12 mm pancake from oly (there was a glimmer of hope the panny 14 was scrapped for a 12... but that was more a pipe dream).

• Like Like x 1
  14. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I really wanted the 25 f/1.4 in addition to the 14 f/2.5.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Not 200% sure, but probably I go for the new K-r.
    - If you get a tool then be sure you get a good one, right?

• Like Like x 1
  16. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I was happy to see the Pana 100-300 announced to 'complete' my kit - it's on pre-order.

The GH2 at 16MP shows Pana has gone for hype over substance.

The X100 was the biggest surprise.

• Like Like x 1