1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photojournalism

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Smashatom, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    I've always been most interested in photojournalism, conflict / war photography. I recently discovered HBO's 'Witness' documentaries and this has sparked an interest in the photographers themselves. I just wondered if anyone knows of any other documentaries similar to Witness or of any magazines (preferably digital as I'm in the UK) that focus on photojournalists and their work. Any interesting things to look at / watch / read would be great!

Sam

2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    War Photographer features James Nachtwey - great documentary movie.

• Like Like x 2
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I second this.....

The main reason why I think this is a MUST see for anyone interested in war journalism is because James presented the ugly... without watering it down and sensationalizing it.

People's obsession with photographing the homeless as if its some sort of selfish act without actually telling the story that is all important is a travesty. Many take war photography in the same notion.... and even a worse act in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  4. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    The Mexican Suitcase tells the story of the discover of Robert Capa's missing photos from the Spanish Civil war. Great film.

5. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    I did find this after a bit of googling, I'm trying to get hold of a copy. It sounds like it will be a good watch. I've also found that there's a documentary about Tim Hetherington, who died photographing Libya.

I was hoping there was some sort of publication which focused on these types of photographers, but I guess it might be a bit too specific.

I hadn't heard of the Mexican suitcase, I will have to check that one out too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    • Like Like x 1
  7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Thanks for that, I'll watch these in the week.

I've also found a free ipad app called 'Wider Image' it's a Reuter app and sponsored by Canon I would guess from the vast amount of Canon logos, but it's packed full of info, interviews and really good quality images.

9. Requiem: By the Photographers Who Died in Vietnam and Indochina [Hardcover]
    Horst Faas (Editor), Tim Page (Editor)
    Somber.
    I got my copy used via Amazon.

10. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Dying to Tell the Story

11. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
  12. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Dirck Halstead* has a site called the Digital Journalist. It's no longer active, but the archives are a treasure of pieces by and about PJ's

* Dirck Halstead is the Editor and Publisher of The Digital Journalist. He began his photojournalism career during high school. At the age of 17, he became LIFE magazine's youngest combat photographer, covering the Guatemalan Civil War (the editors at LIFE had no idea how old he was). After attending Haverford College, Halstead did a two-year stint as a roving photographer in the U.S. Army. He went on to work for United Press International (UPI), covering stories around the world for more than 15 years; and was their picture bureau chief in Saigon during the Vietnam War.

Halstead accepted an independent contract with TIME magazine in 1972. Covering the White House for the next 29 years, he was one of only six photographers asked to accompany Richard Nixon on his historic trip to China in that same year. His photographs have appeared on 47 TIME covers. During this period he was also a "Special Photographer" on many films, producing ad material used by major Hollywood studios.

In 1992, he played an instrumental part in the formation of Video News International (VNI), which started what is now the Platypus movement, teaching still photojournalists to cross the barrier between print and television.

• Like Like x 3
  13. FRAN

FRAN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    México DF, MÉXICO
    Francisco
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
  15. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice find.. thanks

16. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Both great finds! Thanks to both.

17. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The New York Times has the Lens Blog, which is done by a real photographer (James Estrin) and may be the best PJ columns going.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    That's the kind of thing I was hoping for! Thanks for that!

19. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    • Like Like x 1