1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

photojojo.com Engineer Print as canvas for mixed-media work

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jonbrisbincreative, Jul 17, 2014.

1. jonbrisbincreative

jonbrisbincreative Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm considering creating a mixed-media work (photo + acrylic) using a photojojo.com Engineer print as the base.

I'm curious if anyone has dealt with these prints? Hints on mounting large prints at all would helpful, I think.

I think I just need to mount this monster to a substrate of some sort (I'm thinking a sheet of MDF that I've cut down to fit) that will be stiff enough to paint on and, when varnished, will last basically forever. But I'm a little concerned about being able to glue something this large to the board as I imagine that I can't spread the adhesive over that area fast enough without the first section starting to dry out by the time I get the last section covered.

Any hints, tips, etc... for dealing with extra-large prints? Or tips on doing this kind of mixed media would be helpful too as I'm not terribly experienced with it.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting! I had not seen that on photojojo before but haven't gone there in a few months. The price is pretty good for that large although it is only black{more like grey since it is halftone} and white. They don't give a dot size for the tone however.

As for mounting, your idea would work but would make it heavy. Foam core would also work and would be lighter but not as durable. What glue were you thinking about using? Bottle or spray?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    We used to mount prints using either double-sided photo adhesive sheet, or heat adhesive sheet. The former was just like double sided tape, but in large sheets (and could be a pain to use) and the latter was like heat tape used to mend hems and the like. The heat adhesive sheet could be heated with an ordinary closes iron and cloth over the print, but we used to use very large vacuum assisted heat-sealers.These were available in sizes up to A2 from memory, but I tried looking for same a few years ago and couldn't find them anywhere, even in A4 size.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Got a brand name or link? Sounds like that would work great.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The stuff I'm talking about comes, or came, in sheets the same size as the photo paper and was of archival quality ie, no acid etc. The heat bonding stuff was the best, as it was easy to lay the backing board, adhesive, print and protective sheet together and then just heat press the lot. This meant that there were no visible ripples, tape marks, sagging or anything else when you framed the print. I do know print framers have some form of adhesive which they use with their vacuum machines, but I don't know if it's the same/similar, some just use spray glue and the vacuum press.