reviews the GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Livnius, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
  2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks! This is the first real review I guess. :) Cannot wait for my pre-ordered GX7 to come!
  3. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Very nice review but I was surprised that the image quality section said nothing about raw.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app
  4. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012

Yeah, a bit of half review when he did not directly cover RAW GX7 vs RAW GH3. And where the review that looks at details of how the video works? How's the autofocus and moire/aliasing. Bit of letdown.
  5. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    The firmware is still 0.3 though.
  6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I think Photography Blog liked the GX7, though. And that's an understatement. They at least compared jpg output with raw at all ISO settings - at 100 percent enlargement. Looked pretty good to me. Honestly, I don't think raw performance will be a deal breaker for anyone.
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Still an extremely non-rigorous test of the Image stabilization. It showed improvement with two sets of test shots, but nothing dramatic. I imagine it will be some time before we see a rigorous analysis of the IS.
  8. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013

I wonder what improvements we'll see with 1.0

Every other place also had firmware version 0.3
  9. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I don't suppose there's a raw processor available for the GX7 yet, is there?
  10. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Well the one that it ships with...SilkyPix.
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Which probably wasn't provided with the pre-release camera they "tested."
  12. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Lol, I'm guessing most of you guys haven't read photographyblog that much. Their reviews are always like this. Personally, I don't get the review format, since basically every camera gets a 4-5 star rating, and they use so many tiny images.
  13. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    I hope you are not referring to sample images as tiny. Because they are all full size images. Anyway their reviews are not as thorough as IR and DPReview. But I still visit that page everyday to see what's new.
  14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The addition of IBIS makes this the first Panasonic camera that I have considered owning. I have several Panny lenses but stabilization was the break point for me when it comes to bodies. Looks like some interesting features in this one. :cool:
  15. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    I have the latest version of Silkypix and tried to open a GX-7 Raw, but it couldn't.
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I opened the ISO 6400 raw in Rawtherapee. The WB was way off and tone curve was really off, but I was able to get it decent looking. Noise levels look similar to EM5 noise levels from RAW files I've seen. I think dcraw will need to be updated before I'd make anything definative.
  17. SLOtographer

SLOtographer Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    GX7 Looks good!

While I'm not preordering, it's a well-sorted camera, and the EVF will be useful. I'm looking to seeing how the raw files in LR5.