Photography vs Gear

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I see more and more comments about how mu-43 is becoming more like a typical gear site and less about photography. I'd like to make a suggestion for a new section in the image sharing area: Critique and Analysis.

To me, too many of the image threads are just about getting a generic pat on the back. I'd much rather view posts where someone explains how the shot was executed (if it warrants) and at least provides description of camera, lens and settings.

I'd also like to promote critique in that thread. For me that would be very valuable. If I post a photo and no one comments (except Rev Bob :smile:) I assume it kind of sucks, or is boring at best. I'd love to hear why.

To some degree this goes against recent discussions about keeping this site on the kindler and gentler side. Critique will sometimes offend. But I think to really be about photography more than gear we need to be able to actually discuss it, and tell each other what we really think.

I certainly wouldn't do away with the pure photo sharing threads, but I would really like to see those limited to just photos. No text only posts.

Just my thoughts...

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I see more and more comments about how mu-43 is becoming more like a typical gear site and less about photography. I'd like to make a suggestion for a new section in the image sharing area: Critique and Analysis.

To me, too many of the image threads are just about getting a generic pat on the back. I'd much rather view posts where someone explains how the shot was executed (if it warrants) and at least provides description of camera, lens and settings.

I'd also like to promote critique in that thread. For me that would be very valuable. If I post a photo and no one comments (except Rev Bob :smile:) I assume it kind of sucks, or is boring at best. I'd love to hear why.

To some degree this goes against recent discussions about keeping this site on the kindler and gentler side. Critique will sometimes offend. But I think to really be about photography more than gear we need to be able to actually discuss it, and tell each other what we really think.

I certainly wouldn't do away with the pure photo sharing threads, but I would really like to see those limited to just photos. No text only posts.

Just my thoughts...

Hi..
I am totally with you .I think after few months one will realises that he or she has just accumulated loads of gear without improving real skills.
Cheers
Bhupinder

drewbot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Another topic suggestion I would like to see is a "PP my RAW" thread.

One person could upload a RAW, and everyone can take their own interpretation on the PP and share it.

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One person could upload a RAW, and everyone can take their own interpretation on the PP and share it.

Thats a fantastic idea but we will have to ask Amin. Raw file means more space and people will load more and more RAWs. WE will have to limit number of file uploads as well.
Cheers
Bhupinder

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
People can always upload raws to something like dropbox, and publish the link. What's the possibility of getting a virus or other malware from a raw file?

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
I don't know that we really need a separate section for the critique & comments, though I appreciate the idea in your post. I feel like when someone posts images that some feedback is inevitable (we are on a photography site, right?) and full-on critique is invited when someone says "C & C welcome" or "feedback appreciated" or otherwise indicates they are looking for commentary. I realize that's a little more subtle than a separate section of the forum, but it seems to work in the threads I've seen thus far.

On a related note, something I feel compelled to point out while we're on the topic (I'm not saying this for the OP, just a general note) is that C&C doesn't need to be offensive, just by nature of being critical. There is a big difference between critique, and insults/demeaning. It's the difference between "The framing in photo #1 looks a little too far to the left and misses out on some good details to the right" and "why the heck did you frame it all the way to the left in a drunken lean, it makes a boring photo and you missed all the good stuff to the right!".

It's perfectly possible to give constructive feedback and criticize without being negative or demeaning to someone's efforts, but I've noticed in the past that some people struggle with this (and this is by no means limited to photography). It helps to keep in mind the idea is to help someone improve, not crush their dreams :biggrin:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great idea, especially if people share what they did to the image. Lots of opps to learn.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
While we're on the topic of fostering the photography side of the site, one thing I will add that I would love to see:

The "Latest Images to Share Threads" sidebar is really great, but I'd love a larger page with this information. E.g. something under the Quick Links, or a portal type page for that. That way I could go to the latest images threads and skip the gear stuff. Sometimes I miss images threads by accident just because I overlook them in the "new posts" listing, so having them easily culled out would be helpful.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't know that we really need a separate section for the critique & comments, though I appreciate the idea in your post. I feel like when someone posts images that some feedback is inevitable (we are on a photography site, right?) and full-on critique is invited when someone says "C & C welcome" or "feedback appreciated" or otherwise indicates they are looking for commentary. I realize that's a little more subtle than a separate section of the forum, but it seems to work in the threads I've seen thus far.

I agree, but I think it makes it very clear if we have a C&C section and maybe fosters more discussion, which I think most of us agree would be a good outcome.

rhoydotp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
rpamparo
not sure

good concept but I think there are already too many sub-forums on this site. I post images to share and though not specifically for C&C but I know that as soon as I post it in public forum, it's open book ... and for the record, I welcome that :)

back to the lots of sub-forum. just recently, I had some images I want to share that were taken with a certain camera & lens and I think it fits a couple of "genre", if you will.

do i post the same photo on the camera, lens, 2 different style and oh, I also want C&C so add that, too! my point is ... i don't really know. i guess some people will like having it :biggrin:

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Most photography forums have in common that they have ordered the subforums in reversed order. Subforums about pictures and photography should be at the top of the page and the subforums about gear should be below these.

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Think a C&C sub forum is a great idea - it would be fun to share a photo and hear suggestions on improving it. I think it would back valuable learning experience and those who don't want criticism could post elsewhere in the forums. :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom