1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photography thesis during II W.W.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by elandel, Jun 12, 2013.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,

My daughter has to write a thesis for her high school grade.
    The argument she choosed is: Photography during II World War and she wants to find some pictures or reportage and talk aboub II WW photographers and how they wrote about it.

Can you help me with books or essays if you have some with photos etc.?

She has ome week to write it - yes I know it's not much but thay's it.

Thanks in advance.

If someone has essays or writings and would like to share he can send and I can translate and put the author and title in the thesis.

2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    Isn't it called "W.W.II", not "II.W.W"?

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    You answered to point this out? You must have serious problema...

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    As old as I am, I'm not quite W.W. II vintage :biggrin:. However if I had a daughter I would want her to take a look at the work of Margaret Bourke-White. MBW did, of course, work well before and well after the Second World War, but her work for Life magazine during the war deserves, I think, a spot of it's own.

MBW has had a number of biographers and wrote an autobiography which you may find in a well equipped library (I don't think a high school library would stock photographers biographies of that vintage).

Margaret Bourke-White biography

LIFE Margaret Bourke-White | LIFE.com

Margaret Bourke-White: Daring Photographer by Sara McIntosh Wooten | Barnes & Noble

Hope this helps; good luck on the thesis!

EDIT: MBW was, as far as I am aware, the only allied female photographer to fly on combat bomber missions during the war. Quite a lady!

Regards,

Jim

5. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Robert Capa

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CLrC5MUzL4]Robert Capa In Love and War - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

tell her to watch part 1 all the way to the end.

the section on him in WWII was good, but not too much info unfortunately.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks to all of you. I'm having a full immersion.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The most iconic image from WWII was taken by this man:

Joe Rosenthal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few interesting points to consider. WWII was the first war which an American publisher actually printed a photograph of dead American troops, (soldiers landing at Buna in the South Pacific), on the battlefield.

Buna Beach 1943 | LIFE.com

A.B.C. 'Cal' Whipple Dead: Man Who Helped Publish WWII Photo Of Dead American Soldiers Dies At 94

Also, the war footage, (movies not stills), from the European Theater was filmed primarily in B&W while the Pacific was filmed in color. Dunno why.

What is the actually thesis/argument? For what type of class is the thesis for? History class, photo class, journalism class?

" ... and talk aboub II WW photographers and how they wrote about it." Do you mean talk about the images they shot or does she want to talk about how the reporters wrote their stories?

In WWII, there was severe government censorship on all the stories and photographs emerging from the battlefields. As opposed to Vietnam which was the opposite with little to no government censorship.

Gary

8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    There are some interesting photos over here - War | Iconic Photos

Individual classic photos discussed in detail. It may not provide a topic directly related to WWII but the style of writing about a single photo is pretty well done.

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi Gary and thanks for your help.
    It is difficult to explain for which class the thesis is because of our different school system. In Italy there are 5 yaears of what you can call high school, then you can go to University. At the end of these 5 years you have an exam which includes all the subjects they have studies: so there is an exam in Italian language and litterature- math - latin (my daughter is grading in a Lyceum) history - philosophy -English language and litterature and so on. One thing you have to present at the exam is a thesis that can include several subjects. My daughter is writing a thesis on photography during II WW trying to point out how the II WW was decribed by photographers and the storie the immages told.
    Excluse my English hope I was clear enough.

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Very interesting. Thanks

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Got the idea. I think my two links describing what it took to actually publish an image of dead Americans, (The American President made the final decision), and research on Joe Rosenthal, who captured the Marine flag raising on Iwo Jima makes a very good start and food for thought.

IIRC, General Douglas MacArthur, "I shall return ...", took a few takes getting his wading ashore at Leyte correct.

800px-Douglas_MacArthur_lands_Leyte1.jpg

The approval for the release of photographs to be published, because of the huge impact images have on the public, in this case the American people, went up as high as the President. The Iwo Jima image gripped the entire nation and resulted in a rise in war bond purchases (paying for the war) and caused acceptance of additional hardships (rationing) in support of the war effort.

POD-022311-IwoJima.jpg

This image has been converted into a monument at our nation's capital.
    [​IMG]

Robert Capa, one of the pioneers of photojournalism and war photography, captured these images of the D-Day landings in France.

D-Day.JPG

1944_NormandyLST.jpg

Capa was killed covering the Indochina war.

Is the thesis only about American photographers or all photographers from all sides?

Gary

PS- Vorrei che il mio italiano è bello come il tuo inglese.
    G

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks . Your Italian is good . Its about all photographers from all photographers sides .

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    In a way that is much easier. Just pick one or two photographers from the major combatants. Then a quick comparison and contrast between what they faced in the field, cooperation from the armed forces / freedom of movement, censorship from the government.

Axis = Germany, Japan and Italy

Allies = Great Britain, Soviet Union, France, United States

The Soviet Union could go in either camp, lol.

If she wants to be creative, she could write the thesis/essay in first person. A Day in the Life of Robert Capa at D-Day. And discuss the problems he faced and what he tried to capture. Then a Day in the Life of Heinrich Hoffmann, the problems he faced and what he tried to capture, et cetera.

This is a great place to start, it has WWII photographers from all combatants:

WWII Photographers

Mi rendo conto che la prima persona può essere eccessivamente creativa, qualcosa su cui riflettere. SO che mia figlia sarà possibile eseguire fino al suo potenziale.

Gary

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what my daughter wants to write or how original she can be:biggrin:.

Tomorrow she'll start writing.

17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Have you a link to Capa's ww II photo's ?

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal