Photography Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ssgreenley, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    So I got into m4/3s to improve my travel and quickly took to photography as a hobby unto itself. Now that I'm a homeowner, however, I'm too poor to travel and have found my photography has stagnated.

Anyway, I'm looking for a New Year's resolution to refocus my photography. Right now I'm considering a photo a day project, win a photography contest by the end of the year, or starting a street photography blog for my neighborhood (posting 2-3 keepers a week).

Is anyone else planning photography resolutions? What are you thinking about?

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I started a 365 project this year (photo a day) and I can't tell you how much it has improved my photography. It has proven to be challenging but rewarding at the same time. There are some great photos I would have never taken if I had not done this project.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks! That sounds promising. Can I ask whether you've successfully taken a picture each day? I'm concerned about my ability to follow through.

4. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Not sure if I am dedicated enough for 365 a day photos but I considered a weekly blog or committing to two local events a month. The last one would connect me more to my community and I believe yield new subject matters/interests.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    What do you mean by commuting to two local events a month?

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Yes I have about 23 days left! I will warn you though it is extremely difficult to find time to do this with work and life and still maintain quality output. A lot of people end up quitting. I can tell you there are definitely times I come home late from work, tired, dark outside, and I have to think of a picture to take and post. They are not all masterpieces but sometimes those last minute brainstorms turn out to be brilliant photographs!

I also debated on how and where to post my 365. There were so many options(blogs, 365 sites, flickr, etc.). In the end I chose to do it on my facebook. Yep facebook. Where else to share an entire year of your life day by day with your friends and family? Now my friends check in everyday to see my picture of the day! It made it fun and the feedback you get helps motivate you to keep going. My 365 on facebook actually inspired three others to start their own!

Anyways I say give it a shot. Even if you don't make the entire year it is still a great learning experience.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I tried a 365 project a couple of years ago. I agree that it helped my photographic vision a lot, but my work schedule made it impossible to keep up with. Looonnnnggg days, seeing the same things every day, eventually burned up all my creativity for a while.

If you have enough variety in your daily routine, a 365 can be an excellent project.

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I was thinking more along the lines of "Don't buy any more cameras this year" as my resolution for 2013, but I try to set realistic goals for myself :biggrin:

A 365 project as several have mentioned is something I'll have to give serious thought to in the next couple days. I got a LOT out of the summer of photos project here just doing it for a few months. Not only did it net me a lot of good shots, but it made me a better photographer by getting out and doing. It was particularly valuable sharing it here on the forum in the summer of photos thread with others. That gave me focus, and made it easier to get motivation on the days that were difficult to find the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    This is one of my concerns with taking this on. Not only do I work every day doing the same thing, I work from home - talk about not having a lot of variety! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks for the first person experience! I suspect my Facebook friends would hate me after doing a 365, but most of them are people I went to school with who pro'lly think they're better than me, so who cares!! This is inspirational enough to have pretty much convinced me.

11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I for one am going to try and shoot wider. Ive become a one trick pony...the 100-300 panny stays on my camera full time. Plus I have started eyeing some lenses that i have no business looking at. So if you catch me posting in the Birds forum too often, give me the thumbs down :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    I like this idea a lot (I could really do better with normal fl's), but I'm a stickler for quantification. For me, I have to have a way to measure progress and hold myself accountable or I know I won't follow through (and even then it's a challenge!).

13. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    You might be able to start a "journal" thread here to measure your progress. I use to be a member of a weightloss website. Everyone there had their own thread. It acted as both a journal and a way for people to give you feedback/ pat on the back. Maybe the admins could start a new forum or subforum if enough people are interested in doing that. I for one would be very interested.

14. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    only that I would never make another... Too much expectation takes the fun out of it; more so than spending countless hours processing client stuff.

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've tried doing a 365 day project twice, but life got in the way both times. They were fun and challenging but I prefer 30 day projects, something that remains fresh and manageable. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Has me thinking. I don't do New Year resolutions. But I may try to select one favorite image taken each month and make a year's album. I thought of one a week, but maybe too much. I will try to make the choice before Jan 1st!

• Like Like x 1
  17. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Shoot more especially since Im graduating early next year so Ill have more time.

Ive been shooting too much nature and macro and want to expand into street and experiment with lighting. I can also use more practice with PP too. I also bought the 35-100 mm for the main purpose of shooting surfing/skimboarding but havent used it much since Ive been riding myself. Gonna have to put the board down and grab the camera.

18. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Actually print some images onto paper.

• Like Like x 1
  19. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    To echo the above sentiment, yeah, have more of my photos printed.

Stop worrying / spending bandwidth mentally shopping for gear I don't need.

Learn how to use flash for film photography so I'm not limited to natural light for that part of my hobby.

20. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    A few years ago I did a photograph a day for a year, it was challenging, required a lot of determination, and it required a lot of creativity, especially since it was done using one lens.

Since then I've done a one or more photographs per week challenge that follows a new theme each year, this year was a color a month, last year the theme was the West, I'm in the process of narrowing a new theme for my blog now.

It is very rewarding, I highly recommend doing it, it puts you in a different frame of mind, and if you do it on a blog or other public forum you can get a lot of feedback on how you are doing.

• Like Like x 2