photography resolution in kindle/e-books?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by krugorg, Jan 3, 2014.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I normally buy photography-related books in good, old-fashioned print form, but pulled the trigger today on the kindle version of "Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision" by David duChemin. It looks like this is going to be a good read, but I am a bit dissapointed about the resolution of the photographs included in the kindle version... they are not holding up well to a full screen view.

Is this typical for e-books, kindle files specifically, or does quality vary depending on the author/publisher?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    kindles have a baseline of monochrome e-ink displays... would never buy a kindle book to look at the pictures.... read the words.. they will tell you more i am sure

:)
    K

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I won't argue that the words are not more important, but I should have specified that I was using the kindle app on a tablet with color pixels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    What kindle? The new Kindle Fire has an HD screen.

5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am running it on the original iPad Mini, which is only 1024×768 for resolution. The embedded photos look bad when at full resolution, almost like they are around 600-800 pixels (long edge). Viewing my photos on either flickr or 500px look good on the mini and they are 1600px, long edge, mostly.

I wondering if this is typical on Kindle content as many people are using mono e-ink displays, or maybe they are just concerned with photo copyright protection (not wanting high rez available).

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    OK, now I understand. Yeah, it depends on the book. Those designed for the "early" kindles has much lower res.

• Like Like x 1