photography resolution in kindle/e-books?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by krugorg, Jan 3, 2014.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I normally buy photography-related books in good, old-fashioned print form, but pulled the trigger today on the kindle version of "Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision" by David duChemin. It looks like this is going to be a good read, but I am a bit dissapointed about the resolution of the photographs included in the kindle version... they are not holding up well to a full screen view.

Is this typical for e-books, kindle files specifically, or does quality vary depending on the author/publisher?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    kindles have a baseline of monochrome e-ink displays... would never buy a kindle book to look at the pictures.... read the words.. they will tell you more i am sure

:)
    K

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I won't argue that the words are not more important, but I should have specified that I was using the kindle app on a tablet with color pixels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    What kindle? The new Kindle Fire has an HD screen.

5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am running it on the original iPad Mini, which is only 1024×768 for resolution. The embedded photos look bad when at full resolution, almost like they are around 600-800 pixels (long edge). Viewing my photos on either flickr or 500px look good on the mini and they are 1600px, long edge, mostly.

I wondering if this is typical on Kindle content as many people are using mono e-ink displays, or maybe they are just concerned with photo copyright protection (not wanting high rez available).

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    OK, now I understand. Yeah, it depends on the book. Those designed for the "early" kindles has much lower res.

• Like Like x 1