Photography Related Quotes

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by phigmov, Jul 4, 2013.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I've been reading a few photography related books recently and have come across some thoughtful quotes.

I thought it might be nice to start a thread for people to post their own favourites to share with others.

So my starter for ten is by a photographer I hadn't even heard of until today but sadly passed away recently -

'I'm not a female, I'm a photographer.'
    - Helen Brush Jenkins

More information here -

Helen Brush Jenkins dies at 94; pioneering photojournalist -
  2. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    From the movie "Blow Up" 1966

"Jane: What are you doing? Stop it! Stop it! Give me those pictures. You can't photograph people like that.
    Thomas: Who says I can't? I'm only doing my job. Some people are bullfighters, some people are politicians. I'm a photographer."
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I find this pne quite profound - I wonder if digital archeology will, in the future, find these artefacts in the absence of physical prints/negs ?

"They are proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they'll still be there looking at you."

- Diane Arbus on photo's
  4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Seen in an ebay ad for a lens;

"It is a scientifically proven fact that photography will help you live longer!"

Sounds legit...
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough." - Robert Capa - (before he got too close to a mine that killed him while covering the Indochina War).
  6. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    "The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera." - Anonymous
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    "Don't Shoot Till You See the Whites of Their Eyes"
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

I am pretty sure this is a quote from the days of the first world war and the need to conserve ammo as resupply was challenging so they wanted to encourage 1 shot 1 kill!

There is the one that has stuck with us from the days of flash powder " A flash in the pan".
  9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
  10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there β€” even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
  11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think the "whites of their eyes" quote is older than that and from the days when smooth-bore muskets weren't very accurate.
    I also assume that you realize that the "flash in the pan" quote came from the days of flintlocks when the priming pan flashed but the primary charge was not ignited.

Sorry to be a wet blanket... and I don't even have a photographic quote!
  12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Here's a DigitalRev video related to this topic:

[ame=]25 Photography Quotes That You Should Know - YouTube[/ame]

I discovered while viewing this that YouTube's automated transcription service is horrifically terrible. For example it translates "...or as Zack Arias' old studio manager said, 'The best camera is the one you left at home.'" as "bornstein any studio manager says saskatchewan have."
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    "Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them." (lol)
  14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Who is Lol?!?! Guy sounds like a real moron. :tongue:
  15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Yeah, he is ... all hat no cattle.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    My favorite is also my signature at the moment:

β€œThe camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” --Dorothea Lange

I really like this one because it's been very true for me. The camera has taught me to look at shapes, colors, lights, and memorable moments in a whole new way that makes me feel as though I lived most of my life with blinders on.
  17. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    "But with the practice of photography came the sad knowledge that there is no royal road to the taking of good pictures. Although money might be lavishly spent in the purchase of costly apparatus, yet it was soon found that some knowledge of chemistry, and some artistic taste, together with practice in manipulation, and neatness and accuracy in working, were indispensable to success." --- History of Photography - W. Jerome Harrison, 1887

BTW, the "don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes" order comes from the "Battle of Bunker Hill" (sometimes "The Battle of Breed's Hill") during the American Revolution. Check out Battle of Bunker Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  18. Tom M

Tom M Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    A couple of favorites:

"To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart. It's a way of life." --Henri Cartier-Bresson

"When you photograph people in color you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls." --Ted Grant
  19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Here's another one I just came across:

"Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography.” - George Eastman.
  20. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    "F/8 and be there." Arthur Fellig aka Weegee