1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photography Pricing

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by neek247, Dec 14, 2015.

1. neek247

neek247 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Canada
    Ashley
    What would one charge for the following:
    - 18 Christmas Cards
    - 12 Christmas Bells with photos inside
    - One 4x6
    - 5 Hours of Work and Editing
    - A couple of hours of photo shoots
    - Plus printing and accessories

I don't want to charge to much but I also dont want to charge to little, any opinions will be appreciated!

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    $250 for the session, includes a couple hours of post.
    $50/hr additional computer time.
    100% mark-up on cards, bells, printing etc.
    Cost on materials (include cost of time to get materials)

Unless you're worth more. Or it's a favor for a friend, then it's personal.

Fred

3. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Do you have a established photography business? I would see what others are charging. If you are confident in your work, you need to charge a fair price. I would not lowball just to get the job. This sets expectations all wrong.
    --tom

4. sriracha

sriracha ballistic photons

Jan 22, 2011
    you will need to provide more details. from how you are describing the usage of the photos (holiday cards and ornaments) i do not understand why you are scoping a couple hours worth of shooting. are you doing 31 different photos / themes for each item? is there travel required? is this a large multi generational family portrait?

here is my opinion without knowing any further details... this is a $150 - $200 project. i am hazarding a guess that you're shooting some wallet sized prints, using stock print / card templates, white labeled ornaments, and mailing it to the customer's family / friends... typical holiday "oh that sounds cute" ideas. as a quick sanity check, Walmart is charging around $12 / photo ornament and $0.40 / photo holiday card with the customer providing their own photo

that being said, if you are actually renting a studio / equipment / lighting here are some guidelines to get you started...
    • who is asking for this (background context)
    • what or how will it be used
    • what / who / where / when are you shooting (are you renting a studio? traveling?)
    • how much will the base materials cost
    let's assume you do a 5 hour shoot + 5 hour editing for a total of 10 hours work time. using a 40 hour / week baseline, you could do 208 of these projects a year. say you want to make $75,000 (adjust as needed) / year pre-tax, your project price (excl. material, equipment, facility, and other costs) is about $360. this is your for your time

as for the price of the 30 cards + bells, it really depends on how expensive the materials are. if we are talking about $5 bucks for 10 blank cards and cheap ornaments, then you may get away with 100% mark-up as suggested above. but if you are using expensive card stock and sterling silver bells, i would go cost + 20% to 30%. but for easy math let's say you make an additional $100 on this

your total price = $460. if your client likes to haggle a lot, i would start at $500 and anticipate being negotiated down. if they want a time and material price list, you can use the example above. this is a quick and dirty calculation to get your started. obviously if other photographers in your area are charging $2,000 bucks... or $200 bucks for this kind of work, adapt accordingly to what you think is reasonable

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. neek247

neek247 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Canada
    Ashley
    Got i done guys, thanks for the help! =)