Photography, Our Personal Views

Amin Sabet

Administrator
If we keep this thread going and interesting, it may be nice to produce a gallery of every ones work. We would all decide which images would be selected.
The idea would be to put in images what we post as words about ourselves.
Amin could make a gallery dedicated for this but we'll see what happens.
Don, our Groups functionality would be perfect for this, and I can't think of a better person than you to start and lead such a group :smile:. Alternatively, I'm thinking of adding a section of forums which would be visible to members only, where we could explore some different things...

chalkdust

Mu-43 Regular
I started college in 1970 in a work-study program and was assigned to a job in the Photo Lab. There my boss and mentor, an old World War 2 Army photographer taught me about photography and encouraged me to freely use the darkroom facilities. I bought an old Speed Graphic in a pawn shop for $20. In a darkroom, under a red light I watched images in my memory come forth from the blank photo paper in the developer tray. I have never gotten over the deep mystery of that. I do no chemical photography anymore, but the mystery and joy remain.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Since this thread started, we have many new members. Maybe if your reading this and have not posted, it's time you did.

I hear tell that most people on this forum have a thing for photography.....hmmm
I wonder...
shooter

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
So it seems that most here have an artist mentality. What I mean is that we all seem to have an appreciation of how photography plays a part of what we do and who we are as a human being.
I'd hate to be thought of as having an artist mentality; I actually have a job, earn my keep without relying on grants etc, and don't think society owes me a living. :smile: I'm also far more on the right of politics, than on the left, as most of those with an artist mentality appear to be predisposed towards. :rolleyes:

Photography is, to me, more of an adjunct to my life than a defining part of it. Its a way of recording what I do, where I go and what I enjoy, apart from also earning an income. And from a work side, I do many things that I absolutely hate, but it's all part of the job.

Photography doesn't define me, nor does it drive me, but it records what I do and what I think is important in my journey through life (how profound :biggrin:). I don't mind art, though much of it just confuses me (especially the latter stuff), but I love recording the world that I enjoy. That may not be art, merely recording history.

At the end of the day, I'm just a guy with a camera.

Cheers

Ray

sinophilia

Mu-43 Regular
Why do I take photos? Mainly to remember. I have a very good photographic memory (that's why I took up Chinese at university :wink:) but I find it hard to remember past events and especially the feelings I had. I pretty much live in the present with my mind on the near future. Photos are there to remind me things about the past. I look at myself in old photos or at the places and people and objects that caught my attention at the time and I try to get a feeling of what it was like - although it's not always easy.

The second reason for taking photos is my love for beauty. Beautiful shapes, colours, light, anything that catches my eye, but most of all natural places. Even if beauty is a highly subjective concept, I think there are things on which we can almost all agree. If I could paint, I would be a landscape painter. But I can't, so I take photos! :rolleyes:

BartonFlyer

Mu-43 Regular
I think this is an interesting discussion - clearly a significant percentage of the site members here appear to be professional photographers, actually making money (or maybe their whole living) from photography. My feeling is that their perspective will be very different from the amateur hobbyist- my own motivation has been a great enjoyment of the work of others, in particular I just marvel at a book of Anselm Adams pictures and I look to take landscape shots that please me, knowing full well that there will often be disappointment that I can't deliver the standard of image that I would aspire to, and that it's unikely I will please many others.
All that said, my aim is to gradually get a higher ratio of pictures that please me.
My most recent move has been to sell all my old DSR gear and move to Micro 4/3rds as I had defintely fallen into the "all the gear - no idea" trap - if I only had just one more lens that elusive shot of Yosemite would be mine - :rolleyes: - so for me, it's a new camera, stick with the kit lens for now and re-think just what I'm trying to do

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
BartonFlyer, Ian...

What happens is that one gets into the GAS. This sometimes but rarely has anything to do with images. Only you can decide what's important in your quest. For me, it'a images...period.
I always try to find the PERFECT camera/lens combo. Once I am content, then it's off to work.
Now I use the Pen 1 with the 20mm. I haven't used anything else in a long time. I do use the G1 for work stuff...events etc but that's few and far between.
By using 1 lens, 1 camera, you become in tuned to your vision.
After a spell, you can see an image before it happens. Then use the camera to make it.
If you allow yourself to many choices, well then you get lost very fast and very easy.

Don't feel that this is a only you thing, we all fall into that trap, it's just that some don't like it and try to get out of it. Others, enjoy the gear, the quest the GAS. I'm not that guy...something tells me, your not either...
Don

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
I got into photography as a way to document some aspects of our life. Meaning my wife and I.

I really got more into it as a tool for reference in my art then. Since I paint and draw, I really need good references since I mostly do realistic stuff.

This picture went on to become something much more.

http://speedbump1.zenfolio.com/p196527710

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 140992

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Tex,
I have to admit that the original is a very strong statement. It's maybe a means to an end for you but on it's own....it's a strong image.

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
that pleases me?
this is a fine standard, but imho somewhat limiting ,

Every endevour has some standards of excellence and "correctness", the bridge builders works must stand up ,it must carry a chosen load .....it must endure for some bit of time , so it is with all humans do.
Even in a simple row of musical notes , does not a discordant note stand apart for its ill placement? , and yet an orchestra warming up is a cacophony of discordance , of meaning and beauty

There are no rules to photography , there are rules to photography.
To create something of enduring beauty and meaning one must attempt to understand some "rules" ,and that all art boils down ultimately to an exploration of form with boundries , to realize how to break them with wisdom and meaning when its called for, and embrace the "rules " with a passionate love of the "game" when its not

i am far from wise enuf to know where these boundaries lay , but wise enuf to know they exist , the real mystery for me is apparent when i see an absolutely stunning photo that seems to break all convention, and i have not a clue why , this does not trouble me, it reminds me that for all i understand , i lack for many things and many good answers ,and this humbles me , in a manner ,and ultimately i hope that makes me a more attentive and aware photographer and draftsman. on the lookout for this special truth, thru this special journey.
i hope ..........

art really exists , ...........and it was not simply what the artist likes or was pleased with , it was and always will be a struggle for all artists great and small to trancend our simple existance and add something beyond ourselves , another dimension of things , real art and great art is rare for this reason ,among many reasons . Some things greater than our short brutish existance, art , i think, is one such thing.

if nothing of what ive said makes any sense , look perhaps to clive bells essay "Art"
hes part of the english bloomsbury group, it was written in , i think 1913 he was so wonderfully wrong about so much, and right about some too.an excellent point to start a series of thoughts on this subject.

and along the way there is lots of time to record moment in the lives of those we love , time to capture the light that chokes us with its beauty, and we may shoot it all,
expose for it well, and compose with some insight , manipulate it,...... or not .
and if we can know what art is ,we will be the richer for it .and we will capture it
now and again .

all of above is of course IM very HO

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Thank you cosinaphile. Here is a link to Clive Bell's essay "Art": http://www.csulb.edu/~jvancamp/361r13.html which I look forward to reading.

And I think that what you wrote at the end of your personal view, is quite beautifully put:
and along the way there is lots of time to record moment in the lives of those we love , time to capture the light that chokes us with its beauty, and we may shoot it all,
expose for it well, and compose with some insight , manipulate it,...... or not .
and if we can know what art is ,we will be the richer for it .and we will capture it
now and again .
You've covered it quite well in my not so humble opinion.

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
"Only reason can convince us of those three fundamental truths without a recognition of which there can be no effective liberty: that what we believe is not necessarily true; that what we like is not necessarily good; and that all questions are open."

Clive Bell

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom