Photography newbie

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by hedge_hog, Oct 29, 2010.

1. hedge_hog

hedge_hog New to Mu-43

Oct 27, 2010
    Quick question:

I want to start photography seriously. Only owned P&S in the past, but I have some general ideas about the basics. I'm intrigued by the m4/3's. I plan to take a photography class from the local community college soon. Is it rash for me to get a m4/3 instead of a DSLR before I learn more about photography in general? With regard to the budget, in the long run, it will not be an issue, but my first non-P&S will probably be under 1000USD. I do like the portability of the m4/3's. Thanks for any advice.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    I have both a dslr and m4/3, and for photography tool. They both have the same level of control. The dslr is a better action camera. So if you plan on taking allot of sports, then that is a better system to start. For low light shooting some m4/3 are better then others. Some can match the iq of a aps-c dslr form 100-1600iso. And the newer ones should be able to match from 100-3200iso like the GH2.

But I did get the epl-1 for the portability factor with dslr quality photos. As it is a dslr sensor. For 90% of the things I shoot, the epl-1 can shoot them. The 10% are extreme low light non flash, and action where the dslr is a better tool for that.

So if you plan on learning photography, a m4/3 will give you all the controls you will need to learn the basics, and cover all your general photography needs.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    I started my photography many years ago with a somewhat old fashioned manual camera, even for those times, but it taught me a great many of the basics. I have found that many modern photographers who have only recently taken up the hobby have a lack of understanding of the basics because modern lenses tend to do the things automatically that I used to have to do manually.
    Because of the ability of :43: cameras to be adapted to take old fashioned manual lenses I would recommend the type to anyone who wants to learn the real basics, get a manual lens and adapter and use it, you'll learn a great deal more about photographic basics doing that than using an auto focus lens with everything set automatically by the camera.

• Like Like x 1