1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photography newbie

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by hedge_hog, Oct 29, 2010.

1. hedge_hog

hedge_hog New to Mu-43

Oct 27, 2010
    Quick question:

I want to start photography seriously. Only owned P&S in the past, but I have some general ideas about the basics. I'm intrigued by the m4/3's. I plan to take a photography class from the local community college soon. Is it rash for me to get a m4/3 instead of a DSLR before I learn more about photography in general? With regard to the budget, in the long run, it will not be an issue, but my first non-P&S will probably be under 1000USD. I do like the portability of the m4/3's. Thanks for any advice.

• Like Like x 1
  2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I have both a dslr and m4/3, and for photography tool. They both have the same level of control. The dslr is a better action camera. So if you plan on taking allot of sports, then that is a better system to start. For low light shooting some m4/3 are better then others. Some can match the iq of a aps-c dslr form 100-1600iso. And the newer ones should be able to match from 100-3200iso like the GH2.

But I did get the epl-1 for the portability factor with dslr quality photos. As it is a dslr sensor. For 90% of the things I shoot, the epl-1 can shoot them. The 10% are extreme low light non flash, and action where the dslr is a better tool for that.

So if you plan on learning photography, a m4/3 will give you all the controls you will need to learn the basics, and cover all your general photography needs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I started my photography many years ago with a somewhat old fashioned manual camera, even for those times, but it taught me a great many of the basics. I have found that many modern photographers who have only recently taken up the hobby have a lack of understanding of the basics because modern lenses tend to do the things automatically that I used to have to do manually.
    Because of the ability of :43: cameras to be adapted to take old fashioned manual lenses I would recommend the type to anyone who wants to learn the real basics, get a manual lens and adapter and use it, you'll learn a great deal more about photographic basics doing that than using an auto focus lens with everything set automatically by the camera.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.