Photography books that changed your life?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by yakky, Aug 29, 2014.

1. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I'm interested to hear about books that have changed your (photography) life. I've probably ready 100+ books on photography but nothing really profoundly changed the quality of my photographs until I read "Lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots" by Syl Arena. I literally was blind to this whole "light thing." I understood how light created pictures but not how it impacted my overall presentation. I learned I could alter light and make my images pop. Now I'm having fun playing with strobes and cheap P&S cameras that make my old pictures with bulky cameras look like crap.

Now I'm wondering what other great books I might have missed. Please share books that have profoundly changed the way you take pictures.
  2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Stephen Shore; Uncommon Places
    William Eggleston; The Guide
    Charlotte Cotton; The Photograph as Contemporary Art

I have enjoyed books that are of others work especially with in the urban environment, I have found them very inspiring.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kirk

Kirk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    The one book/guide that I have drawn the most inspiration from is "Photographically Speaking: A Deeper Look at Creating Stronger Images" by David duChemin. It was a wonderful change from the nuts & bolts approach of so many other photo books I have read. Highly recommended.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    From all the books I have forgotten from what it was, but there was opening phrase that was (rough translation):

"Never raise anything else on the pedastal than your camera".

That hit well as it well tells that no matter how many books or photographs we read and look, they don't matter but only our own eye what we see and what we want to capture.

It is same as for life, "never mistake speaker and spoken words".
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Kirk's recommendation on "Photographically Speaking" looks like a good one, getting that book right now. I have read some of duChemin's other books and he is an excellent author.

It is an often recommended book, so it may be in the 100's you've already read, but I think "The Photographer's Eye" by Freeman is one of the most excellent books on composition around. I come back to it over and over again. Looks like it and duChemin's have some overlap.

For a landscape photographer in particular a unique book is "Mastering Photographic Composition, Creativity, and Personal Style" by Briot. I recommend this with caveats, rather than repeat here I'll give a link to my Amazon review:

Amazon Review
    • Like Like x 1
  7. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    See, I was of that belief, but as mentioned, the lighting book caused a profound change for me, maybe its temporary, but I have to say that now I'm more obsessed with light than the actual subject matter.
  8. LensWork

LensWork New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Shooter - David Hume Kennerly
  9. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    [h=1]Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting[/h]