Photography Blog Advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Lcrunyon, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I am thinking about starting a blog for travel and nature photography, and the experiences I am having while I learn the craft. It would just be casual, not for profit, but the posts would be photo-heavy.

Do any of you blog? If so, how would you recommend I start? Is there a website that would allow me to set up something like this easily and cheaply? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. leendertv

leendertv Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Leendert
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    If you'll be posting from an iPad, I'd suggest the Blogsy app. Works with Blogger, Wordpress and others.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been at it now since last July and love it. I checked out numerous blogging software and settled on Wordpress, as it's very easy to set up, secure, and flexible (just stick with the supplied add-ons like Jetpack, Wordfence etc and be wary of other add-ons).

Obviously you need to work out a style for your blog and determine how you're going to go about it before you start typing. I'd be wary about making things too photo heavy, as that can be very frustrating for people not on fast internet and some people don't like looking at endless photos.

The same applies to writing. I long ago discovered that lengthy tomes send people running away faster than a thief at a police convention. Bind the stories with the photos, rather than the other way around, that also makes you look for photos and provides a different mental attitude towards your photography. That said, a number of my stories start from one or two photos that trigger an idea and then I build on that.

The other thing to take note of is be consistent. Settle on a style with your writing and photos, and try and keep to that style so that you hone and improve on what you're doing, rather than always searching for something different in the hope of getting better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I use Blogger, lots of people like WordPress.

6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Thanks guys. Great advice, OzRay. I'll definitely have to be careful not to overload my posts.

I'll look these options over. I will be using a combination of a Mac and an iPad.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Whatever software you use should be platform agnostic. In fact you should make sure that it is, as you don't want to be locked into a system when it comes to this sort of stuff.

The other thing to note is how and where you intend to host your blog. I have a service provider that's hosted my website for years, for an annual fee, and it allows me significant flexibility as all of my photos are hosted there as well and not on Flickr or similar sites. It's far easier to manage everything from one place.