1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photography apps for noobs?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lump_a_charcoal, Jul 17, 2012.

1. lump_a_charcoal

lump_a_charcoal Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 12, 2012
    Hi all,

Does anyone know of a mobile app that will act sort of like a cheat sheet for manual settings?

I am trying to learn what settings to use, where and when, and I realise that changes are always needed, but is there an app that gives a rough starting point?
    I know there are books that do, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks,

Linc

2. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    You really don't need something like 'camera sim' for an EVF equipped camera; adjust the settings and your screen will show you the effects of said changes.

Basic exposure isn't all that complicated:
    - Aperture: wide open (lower number) = more light, less depth of field. Stop down to increase depth of field and (in general) sharpness, although that depends on the lens.

- Shutter speed: 1/(2x focal length) is an appropriate minimum for MFT glassware. Adjustment upwards or downwards may be possible (image stabilization, or the need to stop action for example)

- Metering mode: read your manual. Evaluative, center weighted, spot...each has it's use, although I usually leave it in center weighted evaluative metering.

- Exposure compensation: adjust up or down (in P, S or A modes) if things don't line up quite the way you like them.

- ISO: Adjust as low as possible while maintaining adequate depth of field and shutter speed.

AF modes and the like are camera specific, and no app will really help you all that much with that sort of thing.