Photography and Olympus n00b says hello!

Jarle Abelhaug Eek

New to Mu-43
Hello fine ppl. Im just a photo and Olympus (E-M10mIII) nOOb. Know nothing about any of the subjects, but hey - we all start somewhere.

If any of you have a youtube tutorial on the camera or beginner videos of photography I would be grateful!

Thanks and have a great weekend! :D

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
Welcome aboard!

Start with learning the Exposure Triangle. Put your camera in full manual to learn the relationship between Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO.

Real Name
Andrew L
Find a photo class you can go to, or a basic book with a chapter on composition.
As a techie, I found composition much harder than working the camera.
This is truth! but then, most of us aren't hugely talented when it comes to composition and other artistic techniques, aside from the few who just have an innate grasp of it the rest of us can learn all our lives (which is good).

Welcome to the forum @Jarle Abelhaug Eek !

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Youtube will be a good friend as you start learning. Also consider joining a camera club or meetup group - it doesn't have to be brand specific. And of course, your public library is a great resource. Finally, I suggest spending some time each week at a gallery or museum seeing good images - then grabbing a non-photographic magazine to see good photography in that realm.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
Take your camera out and start hitting buttons until you get something you like. Then do that over and over and over and over again.

After a year or two you will realize what you liked now will be shit compared to what you make then. And be okay with that.

Real Name
Andrew L
This may not be a good suggestion for learning your gear, but I gleaned a lot of inspiration and entertainment from DigitalRev on YouTube, specifically from around 2013-2016, when Kai and Locke got into full swing and before Kai left Hong Kong. Most of it is gear reviews and conversations, but there's plenty of cool footage of street photography in a fascinating area and some great skills being demonstrated, along with a lot of tongue-in-cheek BS-ing.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Welcome and I hope you can grow with your camera as you begin to shoot with the E-m10 III

Rob Trek has several detailed videos on customizing and understanding the II version, so it should be helpful as you begin.

Depending on what lens you have, most likely the 14-42 kit lens, your outdoors daytime shots can be made very well with experience. For low light, indoors shots I found the additional investment into a single focal length wide aperture lens worthwhile. I chose the Olympus 25mm f1.8 but there are choices from Panasonic and Sigma as well that can serve a similar purpose. These allow a faster shutter speed and/or a lower ISO for a cleaner look when the lights are dim.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
These may well just have been my personal blind spots but I wish someone had told me:

* motion-blurry image at iso200 vs noisy image at iso1600 - take the noise and raise the shutter speed every time, nobody really looks for noise at web size and if they do you can fix it easier than fixing too long an exposure.

* if your images look flat and boring it's because you lit it wrong. All the nice colours and detail and contrast you see in other people's photos are because they got the orientation of the light to the subject to the camera right when they took it. Get a flash or a portable light you can take with you and experiment.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Take your time, just start in "P" mode. As you gain experience you will look to other features at your own pace.

Rob Trek has a lot on the EM1.2 the model before yours, but a good place to start.
Rob Trek
Edit,
Looks like someone else already posted Rob's site.

Latest threads

Top Bottom