robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Film student finds some 4000 negatives in an abandoned building. Zaharia Cusnir photographed portraits and life in his small village in Moldova around the turn of the 20th century. Not a lot of detail in the article on the restoration process, but the photos speak for themselves. Brilliantly composed portraits of another time.

https://www.rferl.org/a/astonishing-photos-of-soviet-village-life-discovered-in-abandoned-house-in-moldova/30383072.html
Extraordinary! Thanks for posting!

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
Fantastic photographs! It seems the photographer brought a lot of joy to his community by making his photos and revelry. Sadly, his daughter saw the negative outcome of his drunken excursions and it resulted in an animosity toward him and his photographs. Having his photos found in an abandoned home makes me wonder about how many other photographer's works are sitting in attics, or worse, ended up in landfills after they passed. It also makes me think about the odds of our digital age photos being found 30 years after we are gone, stuck on media can't be read, locked behind accounts unknown to anyone or deleted when subscriptions expired.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am 70 years old, and as an American child, I was fed and mostly believed, the propaganda about the hardships of life in the Soviet Union.

I don't want to minimize the differences in wealth between the USSR and the USA, or the political oppression, but these photos clearly show that there was a life of friendship, mutual respect, and at least some level of fulfillment there. I am happy for the people in the photos.

I don't know anything about Zaharia Cusnir's character or personal demons, but his daughter was simply wrong about her father's work. It was not garbage, it was wonderful, and it recorded a place and time that should have some place in history.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am 70 years old, and as an American child, I was fed and mostly believed, the propaganda about the hardships of life in the Soviet Union.

I don't want to minimize the differences in wealth between the USSR and the USA, or the political oppression, but these photos clearly show that there was a life of friendship, mutual respect, and at least some level of fulfillment there. I am happy for the people in the photos.

I don't know anything about Zaharia Cusnir's character or personal demons, but his daughter was simply wrong about her father's work. It was not garbage, it was wonderful, and it recorded a place and time that should have some place in history.
I agree , his work was really well done I would guess it was very difficult to learn and afford his practice. I recently picked this book up ( made in the 70's) and it makes the people of Cusnir's village look fortunate.
sodom laurel album

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom