1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Photographing the ISS

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by DarrenG, Jan 9, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I decided to try and capture the pass of the ISS over the UK this evening. But being in a rush I had forgotten to switch off AF and by the time I figured out the issue I only managed to capture the second half of the pass almost all of iut behind the only tree in our garden!

This was my first ever attempt and so I was lucky to guess the exposure correctly but any tips on improving things would be welcomed. Also, how do I ensure the camera is focussed at infinity next time?

ISO 200 f5.6 20secs 14-45mm at 14mm

P1030390_1_.

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Great shot

Very nice shot! As an amateur radio operator I've been able to have at least one conversation with them, and I often listen to them as they pass over.

Might also be interesting to just take 1 minute exposures and see if you catch other birds passing over. Most people have no idea how many satellites pass by in the night sky every day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Nice idea. Typically, every other pass since has been obscured by cloud but as soon as I have a clear night I'll try that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I'm a radio amateur too! Had a couple of chats with the ISS, myself :smile:

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hi Fiddler

Glad to meet a fellow ham!

de

Willie Alpha Two Sierra Queen Queen
    QTH: NJ
    Best 73

6. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Well whilst we're all wandering OT here, I'm a novice UK HAM - passed the first stage of my licence a while back. Nothing so grand as talking with ISS though - yet ;) M3CVM