Photographing the ISS

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by DarrenG, Jan 9, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I decided to try and capture the pass of the ISS over the UK this evening. But being in a rush I had forgotten to switch off AF and by the time I figured out the issue I only managed to capture the second half of the pass almost all of iut behind the only tree in our garden!

This was my first ever attempt and so I was lucky to guess the exposure correctly but any tips on improving things would be welcomed. Also, how do I ensure the camera is focussed at infinity next time?

ISO 200 f5.6 20secs 14-45mm at 14mm

P1030390_1_.jpg

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Great shot

Very nice shot! As an amateur radio operator I've been able to have at least one conversation with them, and I often listen to them as they pass over.

Might also be interesting to just take 1 minute exposures and see if you catch other birds passing over. Most people have no idea how many satellites pass by in the night sky every day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Nice idea. Typically, every other pass since has been obscured by cloud but as soon as I have a clear night I'll try that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I'm a radio amateur too! Had a couple of chats with the ISS, myself :smile:

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hi Fiddler

Glad to meet a fellow ham!

de

Willie Alpha Two Sierra Queen Queen
    QTH: NJ
    Best 73

6. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Well whilst we're all wandering OT here, I'm a novice UK HAM - passed the first stage of my licence a while back. Nothing so grand as talking with ISS though - yet ;) M3CVM