Photographing the Eclipse

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Nepherim, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Nepherim

Nepherim Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    NJ, USA
    I'm in Uganda, and we will get to see a 90 percent eclipse today. Other than not looking at the sun, any tips for photographing it? I have an em5, 40 -150, 45, 12-50. Thinking the150 is my best bet, manual focus, shutter priority fast as I can, lowest iso, wb sunny. Sound about right?

Of course the big assumption here is I won't burn out my sensor...

2. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Even a 90% eclipse will still be too strong a light to photograph unless you have a proper solar filter for your lenses. Unless you know what you are doing, you risk destroying the sensor and possibly your eyesight. Have a google for photographing an eclipse, but I'd just plan on enjoying the experience.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Create a pinhole camera box and shoot the image that it forms. Alternately, I stood under a tall tree that let little spots of light leak through between the leaves, and was able to view thousands of crescent images form on the ground during a partial eclipse twenty years ago in Arizona. I just wish I'd taken a picture of that as it was pretty spectacular thing to see.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Partial solar eclipse in North America this Thursday 2014-10-23:
    http://petapixel.com/2014/10/21/mar...ar-eclipse-thursday-will-turn-sunset-pac-man/

Times shown on the animated GIF are GMT/UTC.

DIY solar filter:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Solar-Filter-for-Camera/?ALLSTEPS

There's a warning in the comments that some CDs are too thin. Don't try this with an optical viewfinder or a bare lens! EVFs and LCDs are safe.

Probably a bad idea to try any of this with a telephoto lens, especially wide open!

Welder's glass filtering (10-12 stops aka ND1024 - ND4096):
    Http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-10-10-Stop-Neutral-Density-ND-Filter/

DO NOT LOOK AT ECLIPSE WITH REMAINING EYE!

Barry

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    B&H have a 9-stop ND filter, Hoya model NDx400. (9stops should be ND512, I think).

Amazon has a solar filter, model ND100000, although that may be an exaggeration.

Barry