1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photographing lenses

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by addieleman, Aug 29, 2011.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Starting a new thread here, not wanting to hijack the thread you asked this in. This is a typical example of a lens picture.

[​IMG]"Lens picture" border="1" />

Getting the lens clean is indeed the biggest challenge. Things I do, in arbitrary order:
    • Clean the glass with a pure cotton Q-tip after breathing lightly on it
    • Use a Q-tip to remove greasy dirt around aperture rings and other similar places
    • Use something like a tooth-pick to remove dirt in crevices in the focussing ring, aperture ring etc.
    • Not shown here, but lenses with a rubber focussing ring are a real challenge. When possible I take them off and rinse them in dish-washer solution, that takes away the skin grub often left on them. Stubborn grit is removed with the flattened plastic tip of a Q-tip cut in half. When I can't take them off I use a tooth-brush lightly dipped in dish-washer solution and brush it clean. Still some of my lenses still don't look too nice, have to experiment further.
    After I have taken the picture I inspect it on the camera's LCD screen, enlarged 4x, for any dirt remaining. Often, a dust bunny has landed on the front lens and I blow it away with a Giottos rocket blower and retake the picture. 30 minutes time spent on this is not unusual.

Lighting is done like shown below. It shows you don't need a fancy studio to do this :smile:.

i-BtKv9Nd-XL. "Lighting setup" border="1" />

A cheap light cube contains a white bent background (Novoflex stuff). I've done away with the cloth that came with the light cube, too much hairy dust :frown:. I use two good-old Nikon SB-24 flashes, triggered by YongNuo wireless triggers. The left one is quite close to the cube and produces a fairly directional main light, it's set at 1/8 output power. The right one is farther from the cube and produces more diffuse fill-in light at 1/16 output power. The right flash produces about 1 stop less light than the left one at the place of the lens. The camera is a G1 and the lens is a Minolta MD Macro 100/4 (superb lens BTW).

• Like Like x 10
  2. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Ad,

That is totally awesome! I do have the same cube and I also have Nikon SB24. I don't have the novoflex background but I'll find one... I'll use wire to trigger the SB24 then use Canon 580EX as a slave...

I do have studio lights, umbrellas, and soft boxes but my god...you know how much space that takes up.

I really appreciate the instruction!!

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Glad I could help :smile:. The Novoflex background I use is shown at the bottom of this page.

• Like Like x 1
  4. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
  5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Think so too, I bet it's the same product :smile:.

6. aznick

aznick Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Arizona USA
    Nice setup Ad, thanks for the tutorial.

7. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    So.... what's the rope on the floor for??

:tongue: