Photographing lenses

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by addieleman, Aug 29, 2011.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Starting a new thread here, not wanting to hijack the thread you asked this in. This is a typical example of a lens picture.

[​IMG]"Lens picture" border="1" />

Getting the lens clean is indeed the biggest challenge. Things I do, in arbitrary order:
    • Clean the glass with a pure cotton Q-tip after breathing lightly on it
    • Use a Q-tip to remove greasy dirt around aperture rings and other similar places
    • Use something like a tooth-pick to remove dirt in crevices in the focussing ring, aperture ring etc.
    • Not shown here, but lenses with a rubber focussing ring are a real challenge. When possible I take them off and rinse them in dish-washer solution, that takes away the skin grub often left on them. Stubborn grit is removed with the flattened plastic tip of a Q-tip cut in half. When I can't take them off I use a tooth-brush lightly dipped in dish-washer solution and brush it clean. Still some of my lenses still don't look too nice, have to experiment further.
    After I have taken the picture I inspect it on the camera's LCD screen, enlarged 4x, for any dirt remaining. Often, a dust bunny has landed on the front lens and I blow it away with a Giottos rocket blower and retake the picture. 30 minutes time spent on this is not unusual.

Lighting is done like shown below. It shows you don't need a fancy studio to do this :smile:.

i-BtKv9Nd-XL. "Lighting setup" border="1" />

A cheap light cube contains a white bent background (Novoflex stuff). I've done away with the cloth that came with the light cube, too much hairy dust :frown:. I use two good-old Nikon SB-24 flashes, triggered by YongNuo wireless triggers. The left one is quite close to the cube and produces a fairly directional main light, it's set at 1/8 output power. The right one is farther from the cube and produces more diffuse fill-in light at 1/16 output power. The right flash produces about 1 stop less light than the left one at the place of the lens. The camera is a G1 and the lens is a Minolta MD Macro 100/4 (superb lens BTW).

• Like Like x 10
  2. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Ad,

That is totally awesome! I do have the same cube and I also have Nikon SB24. I don't have the novoflex background but I'll find one... I'll use wire to trigger the SB24 then use Canon 580EX as a slave...

I do have studio lights, umbrellas, and soft boxes but my god...you know how much space that takes up.

I really appreciate the instruction!!

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Glad I could help :smile:. The Novoflex background I use is shown at the bottom of this page.

• Like Like x 1
  4. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
  5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Think so too, I bet it's the same product :smile:.

6. aznick

aznick Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Arizona USA
    Nice setup Ad, thanks for the tutorial.

7. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    So.... what's the rope on the floor for??

:tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.