1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photographing ID cards?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Jun 25, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I have a question to mull over your morning coffee with!

We make UV lights which are used for counterfeit detection. They work great on currency. Now I need to show how well they work on IDs like US drivers' licenses, passports, etc. I see the results, but my camera doesn't. My camera DOES see the strip in a US $100 note, but not my passport or license.

Anyone tried this and can lend some info?

I'm going to try a RAW file and play with the color sliders, but we really need to say the photo is un-retouched. Using a filter is okay, and I'm exploring that as well.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Most digital cameras filter out the IR and UV portions of the spectrum before passing the image onto the sensor. But if your eye can see the reflected light, it must be in the visible spectrum. It may be that your camera is also filtering the near UV reflected from the subject.

Canon makes a couple of models intended for astrophotography which do not include the UV filter. There's also been a thread on DPR (IIRC) that shows the GH2 passes more of the UV portion of the spectrum than do most cameras.

None of this helps with the question of capturing the information with your current camera, I'm afraid.

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Good start, I'll look for a Canon used maybe...