1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photographing Fireworks

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    We're headed out Friday night to listen to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra perform their annual July 4th show (yes, Friday is the 5th. What can I say? :biggrin:). As part of the performance they do the obligatory 1812 Overture complete with fireworks (yes, the concert is outdoors :biggrin:).

And I think I'm going to be hosed; the seating will not allow for a tripod, or a gorilla pod attached to a chair rail. My monopod isn't up to the required shutter speed (or rather the lack thereof!).

I'll take the OM-D and a lens or three to get photos of the orchestra (the stage lighting is usually pretty solid) but for the fireworks the plan is just to sit back and enjoy 'em.

I suppose I could bore a small hole @ 12" deep and plant the monopod in the hole...but I think that the venue might take issue with that :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    We're supposed to get thunderstorms both Thursday and Friday. Fingers crossed forecast is wrong.

3. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    You could try the fastest lens with widest aperture and highest iso approach and shoot when the fireworks burst.
    Always try. Would not give up an opportunity.

4. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The concert is at Greenfield Village. Hopefully the rain holds off, the tickets aren't refundable.

Maybe take the weather sealed lens...:)

Regards,

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Oh, I'll give it a go...but I think I'm hosed. :D

Regards,

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Too late for us Canuckians, as we've already had our Canuck Day fireworks. Should be some good tips for you guys heading out for 'Murica Day fireworks tomorrow though!

7. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
  8. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I like that idea! Will have to try that out for the next fireworks. I wish I could go back and try the last ones over again. lol.

10. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
  11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Never got anything remotely worthwhile that way!

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Good idea for me also

13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I am rather of the view that you dont need a tripod if you shoot fireworks in a particular way.

If you take a look at this image....

fire2-7.

It was taken with a 1/2 second shutter speed.

The boy is sharp because I used a flash.

The flame is sharp because it only leaves its print on the photo for 'a small moment' of the entire shutter speed.

So a 'firework' is a bit like the flame - it doesnt need a fast shutter speed to be sharp. Of course whatever is in the ambient light 'does'. But if you are taking shots of fireworks against a dark sky it shouldnt be a problem.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes, I bumped my own thread...

*BUMP*

15. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I think I got some decent photos but I didn't try the technique I had earlier mentioned as I was pretty far away. Will post some photos soon.

16. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I tried for the first time tonight, and it went pretty smooth. I was able to get crisp shots of the fireworks using 3-5 second shutter, f/11, ISO 200 and manual focusing. I was in a terrible spot for framing, but it was a good exercise.

17. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Two from last night. I'm happy with the outcome for a first try - I just had to crop out the auto dealer between us and the show.

OM-D, Olympus 45/1.8 at f/11, ISO 200, 3-5 second shutter. Manual focus, tripod mount, two second delay on the shutter. Minor tweaks in Lightroom really made them pop (drop blacks, up contrast and vibrance, sharpen). Shot Raw, but even the JPEGs look good. Also, I didn't turn IBIS off, which didn't seem to affect the outcome.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/timewellspent/9216988578/" title="Fireworks! by liacatherine, on Flickr"> 9216988578_0abd41b6eb_c. "600" height="800" alt="Fireworks!"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/timewellspent/9214215521/" title="Fireworks! by liacatherine, on Flickr"> 9214215521_102a85e654_c. "800" height="600" alt="Fireworks!"></a>

18. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, I was hosed :biggrin:.

P7050017 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

About the best of the lot; looking at 'original size' will show how much handshake was really goin' on.

After much self debate I grabbed the OM-D, the 20mm, a spare battery and card, and a lens pen and left the rest of the kit at home.

Fun evening; got some shots of the crowd and the fife 'n drum corps but the seating was crowded so shots of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and the fireworks display were...lamentable. Too many peoples, not enough rooms.

The DSO was rockin' the house tho and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Next year I'll get the less expensive lawn tickets which are further away from the DSO stage but give room to deploy a proper tripod.

Regards,

Jim