Photographing children - or the sad world we're living in

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
My 11 year old goes to his local pool every week for diving club. He wanted me to record his first ever dive off the 5 meter board but, guess what? It's forbidden. I agree with the OP, sad world.

Who can make rules that you can't photograph your own child? Why would you abide by that? What fool thinks that is proper?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Who can make rules that you can't photograph your own child? Why would you abide by that? What fool thinks that is proper?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

It is always easier to not challenge authority ... which is what those in authority expect and in many cases demand.

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I haven't photographed stranger's children to date, except when this scene occurred over the weekend. I took the shot. 75mm mounted on EM-5.

p1866120373-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
75mm mounted on EM-5.
Looks more like an M1919 mounted on an M2. :wink:

As for the subject at hand (admittedly, I haven't read all of this thread), the primary reason that I don't post far more of my pictures here is that most of my best shots, candid and artistic, are of my young daughter. Given my wife's profession - let's just say that the handcuffs aren't for anything kinky - she insists that I not post them. On that same note, while I would keep a close eye on anyone taking pictures of my daughter, my wife would probably be far less passive about her concerns. It's definitely a case of a few bad apples spoiling things for the rest of the bunch, but when you're exposed to the reality of those bad apples, you definitely err on the side of being overly cautious.

Accordingly, I would also err on the side of not shooting other people's children, except for (as others have mentioned) a few select cases with full disclosure to the parent.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
IMG_0079-L.jpg

Atom Ant

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam
I generally don't shoot people at all when I am out shooting for fun. However I shoot children all the time as part of my job, I work for a church in the children's ministry. We use the pictures for in-house use only but some are posted to the church website or ministry facebook page. We have a standing disclaimer that we photograph from time to time and if any body does not want their child's picture taken that we won't. Nobody has ever asked for it though.
My church has an opt-in policy rather than your opt-out policy. This applies to all people visiting the complex, not just kids. No images are published without checking that we have a current standing release form.

There is a school that uses our facilities for assemblies, music lessons &c - I am sure images are made but I have no idea how the school uses them.

As the complex is private property, we can legally restrict photography, but I'm not aware of anybody being asked to holster their camera.

monk3y

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steven
Guilty here
p1586358404-5.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom